new question all

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by Bigbud214, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

hello again,

ok ive cleared out my closet and decided on how im going to divide the space. all of the help and advice ive gotten here at GK has only fueled my fire more. cant wait to get my first crop going.

so im gonna do T5's for my 5x2x4 ft veg area and my question is are the T5 fixtures i can buy at lowes or home depot capable of running the high output bulbs that produce 5000 lumens per buld? or do i need to but the 4 times more expensive bad boys brand or others sold through gardenn supply places

thanks again in advance for any guidance

2. drgeen

drgeen Germinating

If you are looking for a good price shop around online. I got a pretty good deal on a 400 HPS and MH.

3. virago420

virago420 Excommunicated

I dont think the standard ballast will run the bulbs to their full potential. I would suggest something like this 48" 8 bulb T5HO

Thats a pretty big veg area to light with T5 IMO

You would actually be better off with two or more lights equally spaced to allow for better coverage of the area.

Peace

4. Bigbud214

hi drgreen... thanks for the advice im going to use a 400w hps in the flowe area... just wondered if i could get away with a $35 fixture at lowes or had to buy the $180 fixteres sold expressly for indoor gardens like the bad boy line and others similarly priced.

5. Bigbud214

thanks virago420... that is the type of lght im lookig at just saw fixtures at lowe that were only $35 + bulbs. not $249 lol. and i was thinking maybe two 2ft x 8 bulb fixtures space a few inchs apart. i am also going to house a couple of mothers, once i select. them, in my veg room.

thanks again for the advice all

6. Chiefblood

Chiefblood Veggy Stage

Hey Big Bud

curious are you running veg and flower at the same time? or changing out the lights?

Maybe a switchable MH/HPS digital 400W light would make more sense?

Im running a 4X4X7 and Im throwing a 600W switchable in there with air cooled hood.

just a thought. ;)

7. Bigbud214

hi chief and thanks for replying. i will be running a veg and flower room simultaneously. this is my very first attempt at growing and have a limited space. the total space is a 2 ft wide x 8 ft long x by 8.5 ft high closet. i am going to make a lower mom and veg room which will be 2' wide x 5' long x 3.5' high, with a seperate fower rom wich will be 2'W x 5'L x 5' H. i am only going t keep 2 or 3 short stocky moms and maybe veg and flower 10 - 12 plants at a time. im going to run a 400W HPS in the flower room. using T5's in veg room for space and ability for plants to be close to the light. i hope this makes sense as a plan lol. thanks again

p.s. ill be running air coled hood for the HPS with an inline fan ad charchoal filter for heat and oder control.