New seeds - hempy vs soil

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by greenthumbwhitethumb, Nov 8, 2016.

1. greenthumbwhitethumb

greenthumbwhitethumb down w the moral majority

Howdy folks!

I've almost finished setting up my room, and I'm about to pop some seeds. Bear with me a bit because I really did forget so much (and I lost all my notes!! FACK!! #@%!!).

I've got 4 strains, all fem, and I want to mother 1 of each, at least for the duration of one grow, until I decide which ones to keep. Once they're sprouted, would straight into soil or hempy be easier? I think I was trying to do a mother in hempy before and it was a real pain, but it's been a reeeeeally long damn time since I ran soil, and not only have I forgotten everything, I shudder to think about my addled brains trying to keep track of two different systems, so to speak. (ftw, I plan on a hempy grow, not soil....)

Also, just fyi, I got what I hope to be some tasty shit:
    Jack Herer, Strawberry Cough, Pineapple Kush, and SSH (one of my faves!). I know some of you would fuss at me for getting fem seeds, but 1. ain't nobody got time, especially this girl, and 2. Last time I had unsexed plants going, I didn't catch it in time, and ended up with a Killing Kush/Strawberry Anesthesia cross. (And for other stupid reasons, I totally lost my SA. I'm so terribly sad. And the KK/SA seeds I saved just.... just maybe because.... they didn't pop. I tried last week. Sadface.)

Sooo..... soil, or hempy for my little uns, if I'm gonna keep them in veg?

2. OldSmokey

OldSmokey Registered Users

If you're planning a Hempy grow, then you'll have all the nutes and supplies to work with Hempy moms. I've been doing Hempy bonsai moms in 1 qt. pots for about 5 years. They get topped multiple times to keep them about a foot tall and when they get too stemmy and too root bound, it's clone and start over time. This takes about 4 months. By then, they don't flush well at all.

It's possible to get 6 moms in a space only a little larger than a square foot. Since I don't need a lot of clones, this works well for me. It sure has helped improve my cloning technique.

3. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

I would run the Hempy to keep it simple. Use a 70% perlite and 30% vermiculite mix and there will be less watering.

4. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

hee hee hee.... dirt of course.;)

5. greenthumbwhitethumb

greenthumbwhitethumb down w the moral majority

Res, I knew you'd say that!

I'll try that mix out, as I already have both of those. I think I'll just have to clone and swap more often, because I remember after a short while (two times pulling clones, maybe?) the mom looked terrible and unhealthy.

6. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

I'd do hempy, that's what I'm doing now.

7. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

I still say the tasty tasty buds I ever got were from soil, biggest from hydro and great quality, but I am still sort of new to hydro so....i would go with what you know/remember till first or second harvest get you buds and play from there. Just my 2 cents.

8. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

I'll chime in and second the dirt suggestion.. I'd also suggest keeping your mom in a fiber pot to help combat her from becoming root bound. Sooner or later they'll become root bound and you'll have to prune the roots back and repot with fresh soil.. I don't really keep moms any more but I do tend to keep clones laying around in solo cups for several months and as long as prune the roots back from time to time the do pretty well. I'm a dirt kinda guy buy I suppose you could do the same thing with hempy pots and they'd do just as well.

cheers