Ohio goes up in smoke...for now

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nippie, Nov 4, 2015.

1. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/public/2015/election/ohio-state-issues-2-and-3-marijuana.html

by Alan Johnson

The Columbus Dispatch • Wednesday November 4, 2015 12:03 AM

Ohioans pushed a monopoly marijuana-legalization proposal out the door Tuesday by a nearly 2-to-1 vote.

But the question is, will pot make a comeback?

Although Issue 3 was handily defeated, the debate and conversations about the issue have convinced House Speaker Cliff Rosenberg, R-Clarksville, and other state lawmakers who were staunchly opposed to legalization to now say it may be time to move ahead with medical marijuana.

<< Election results >>

“After going through this process, myself and many of my colleagues realize there’s tremendous support for medical marijuana and something we should have a bigger discussion about,” said Rep. Ryan Smith, R-Bidwell, a leader in the House.

That could be in the form of a pilot program or some other narrowly written legislation, Smith said. He noted that Rep. Wes Retherford, R-Hamilton, already has proposed a medical marijuana bill.

“In talking to people, it was surprising to me how many said they support medical marijuana,” Smith said. “We obviously want to help the parents with children that are ill and the elderly that are suffering. We just want to make sure the scientists tell us it will help and we write it in a responsible way.”

Some advocates were already talking about another ballot issue in 2016 even as ResponsibleOhio backers were stinging from a sound thrashing at the ballot box after spending an estimated $25 million on the campaign. The issue appeared headed to defeat in all 88 counties, according to incomplete results from Husted’s office.

“At a time when too many families are being torn apart by drug abuse, Ohioans said no to easy access to drugs and instead chose a path that helps strengthen our families and communities,” said Gov. John Kasich in a statement. He and the other four statewide, non-judicial officeholders opposed legalization.

Curt Steiner, campaign director for Ohioans Against Marijuana Monopolies, said, “Never underestimate the wisdom of Ohio voters. They saw through the smokescreen of slick ads, fancy but deceptive mailings, phony claims about tax revenues and, of course, Buddie the marijuana mascot.” Steiner’s group expected to spend about $2.5 million on the campaign.

Ian James, executive director of ResponsibleOhio, the group backing Issue 3, said he and supporters will begin a new marijuana campaign immediately.

“Life and legalization are a journey. We have taken the initial steps here to bring legalization here to Ohio. We have always said we will listen to the voters. We trust the voters. The voters said clearly they did not like this plan,” James said. “While we’re disappointed, we will start a new conversation tomorrow.”

James said he expects many of the funders who joined ResponsibleOhio to remain on board for Round 2.

Companion State Issue 2, an amendment hurriedly proposed by state lawmakers to make it more difficult for special economic interests, like ResponsibleOhio, to amend the Ohio Constitution in the future, didn’t have universal support. There was considerable confusion about the issue and it lost in several counties, including Athens, Ashtabula, Hocking, Pike and Preble. The fate of Issue 2, while important for the future, is irrelevant in this election with Issue 3 losing.

When implemented, Issue 2 will require supporters of monopolies, oligopolies and cartels to secure voter approval twice at the same election — once to exempt the issue from the monopoly ban and a second time for the proposal itself.

Tuesday night’s vote-counting process was set back 90 minutes when ResponsibleOhio went to court complaining that problems with electronic poll books at some Hamilton County polling places caused voting delays. Common Pleas Court Judge Robert Ruehlman ordered polls there to stay open until 9 p.m. instead of closing at the normal time of 7:30.

Husted subsequently told boards of election not to release statewide issue totals until polls closed in Hamilton County.

Issue 3 would have legalized marijuana for recreational smoking and in edible form for Ohioans 21 or older, and in medicinal form for those of any age with qualifying medical conditions. Commercial growth was to be controlled for at least the first four years by investment groups at 10 specified locations around the state.

A core of about two dozen wealthy investors, including former NBA star Oscar Robertson, two descendents of President William Howard Taft, and boy-band member Nick Lachey, contributed about $25 million to the Issue 3 campaign.

Dispatch Reporter Jim Siegel contributed to this story.

ajohnson@dispatch.com

@ohioaj

2. nippie

I for one am glad to see this pile of poo burn.

We need legalization, not monopolization

This amendment would have filled the prisons and used the police force as enforcement of profits. Totally wrong, and I am so happy it failed

3. bigbudztoo

bigbudztoo growin the good stuff

I agree, Nippie. As written , it was just going to give the "big tobacco"

treatment to weed.

I think something better will emerge in 2016

4. nippie

Without a doubt...great though, a coalition of gardeners took down a multi million dollar ad campaign by putting out repeatedly the flaws etc. Sunk them using social media, but it really was terrible, increased penalties for us non rich guys and absolutely killed medical.

We will have medical in a few months, may have legalization but wa or concerns type next year. But to hell letting the rich take away our hard work.

Really proud of my brothers and sisters who's neck have been out there for years fighting, and then we're able to over come this....with just social media. But we were all on every news channel, paper, etc fb twitter sites etc showing the wolf behind the sheep.

Never thought I'd vote no...let alone convince others, but we will have our day...just gotta wait a few months

5. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Agreed. This wasn't illicit growers fearing competition. This was government handing out $$$ cards and destroying an already viable market source. Idiots did that in Minnesota with the MMJ supply laws. 4 fat cats greased the political palm then divided up the entire state. Nobody else. Ever.

New Jersey did the same damn thing. It was the worst move cannabis advocates could have made. No deal is better than a bad deal. Now the anti's can point to the legislation and say "We did give you cannabis. See. Right there. We passed the legislation." All the while knowing it serves nobody and was a ruse to line a few pockets after being backed into a corner by logic.

Fuck the assholes who want the folks who've led this fucking anti-Prohibition battle (growers) with our civil disobedience to take a back seat while their cronies lap up our success. Without us growers there'd be no cannabis movement because there'd be no fucking cannabis. Fuck them and fuck their mama.

6. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

Good things come to those who wait. A while back when you first said you were fighting it I wondered why but understand and support your fight. I do think its funny as hell old Nick Lasha lost a few million, serves him right for being a greedy pig. That and playing in that crap boy band. :dink: He could of made a difference using his connections to help get a good bill for all to benifit from. Instead his dumb ass tried to get rich quick because I will bet his royality check from the musicians union is pretty low these days

7. nippie

Do you guys know they weren't even going to allow for homegrown? State invalidacted the first batch of signatures because they had homegrown as felony but they could produce it all.

What's right is right, I've done my time. I'll be damned if someone collects the fruit from my labor.

Seriously if you read that amendment, everyone goes to prison but them...it was a felony to make rso for cancer patients for free....a felony 1-5,for providing free meds but they could sell it.

I'm happy, I'm working with state and will do medical for now...money is in out right legal but we are too proud of people to take shit up here

We pointed out the greed and people agreed, like I said our senate has a bill in the works...I can live with that.

Hr 83 is a life saver

8. Tiger Shark

Tiger Shark Profoundly Deep

What state Nippie?