Opinions of Dr. Earth's Soil

Discussion in 'Organic Cultivation' started by Tony Aroma, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Tony Aroma

Tony Aroma Let's Go - Two Smokes!

For years I've been using Fafard's Complete Planting Mix, in the purple bag, which is basically just a plain organic soil. To it I add various amendments, including bone meal, blood meal, kelp meal, epsom salts, egg shell, dolomite, also worm castings and/or mushroom compost when I can get it.

However this year I can't find the Fafard's around here, so I got a few bags of Dr. Earth's All-Purpose Potting Soil:

[​IMG]

Looks like it already has some amendments added to it. The ingredients they list are:

Forest Humus, Fir Bark, Peat Moss, Pumice, Earthworm Casting, Kelp Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Soybean Meal, MicroActive™ Seaweed Extract, Aloe Vera, Yucca Extract, Oyster Shell & Dolomite Limes. We have also included ProBiotic® beneficial soil Microbes plus both Ecto and Endo Mycorrhizae.

I also got a bag of Dr. Earth's All-Purpose Compost, which coincidentally lists the exact same ingredients. I thought I'd use that in place of mushroom compost.

Any suggestions on how or if I should adapt my soil recipe with Dr. Earth's versus Fafard's? Should I cut down or eliminate my usual additives? I'm afraid this new soil could be pretty potent, and I don't want to shock the young ones on their first transplant.

2. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Don't know squat about Dr Earth. I'd be nervous too though since you never know the ratios of premix soils. Guess the best rule of thumb is to try it as is and keep some trusted ferts on hand just in case.

3. bigbudztoo

bigbudztoo growin the good stuff

I grow in Pro mix and haven't tried the Dr Earth. that does sound kind of

hot for seedlings tough. Maybe Res will chime in.

good luck

BBT

4. Discorilla

Discorilla Shining like a Discoball!

There is an actual schedule that Dr. Earth's posted for Cannabis. I know they give you all the info you need for their regiments and such.