PharmDoc's Hempy Attempt Kickoff

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Cultivation' started by PharmDoc, Aug 13, 2010.

1. PharmDoc

PharmDoc Just a NORML guy

Thanks for the info. I've got about 8-9 days into these freebie seeds a d I can see into the hole in the little 1x1x1 cub that the plant/seedling still has viable root going on, but the little fuckers wont come UP out of the block. So, out of impatients, I popped 4 of my NOT FREE Big Bud seeds and put THOSE in the little peat puck deals and once THEY have nice roots and what not I'll plug them into the larger cubes, and finally into these nice 4 gal buckets that I found online while I had some free time at work hehe... Oh yeah, cooler thing, they were $2.30 ea (excl shipping) and they are SQUARE! Hopefully that means I'll be able to have more plants in the same amount of sq footage. Hopefully pics to come. C'mon little buggers!

LIVE!!!

2. RkyMtnWayHigh69

RkyMtnWayHigh69 2010 NAGC Winner

I guess I've missed this thread until now.

Sounds like you have some cool stuff going on. ;)

I'd recommend against using clear buckets. This has probably already been mentioned, just thought I'd toss it in there. ;)

I've always used round pots because I always flower when the plants are fairly large. My plants always grow outside the diameter of the pot, so having a square pot doesn't help me unless I can get my plants to grow square.:laugh:

If your flowering while the plants are still fairly small, the square pots perfect. ;)

I like this emoticon, and it's so relevant. :nopics:

:rofl6:

3. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

I'll be watching this grow. :popcorn-2: :popcorn-2: :popcorn-2: :thumbs-up:

4. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

This has me interested. I've got to find more to read on this subject.

5. PharmDoc

Ok, so quick update...

I went to check in on the little buggers today and I found that 4/4 big bud seeds have already broken ground :good job: On the other hand, 7/10 freebie seeds in rockwool have failed to thrive :angry: so I have "thinned the herd" and tossed 'em. Don't worry, I FULLY inspected the contents of the cubes and NONE of the seeds that got tossed had even popped open. Unfortunately I failed to realize how quickly rockwool can dry out when you've got fans circulating air and the humidity top off :angry9: the remaining seedlings are in plant ICU right now b/c their roots were quite dry looking and I don't have much hope that they'll change after this watering, but hey, I learned and they were free(ish). Pictures to come soon (I'm not in a rush b/c there's not much to look at right now).

Updates to follow :passsit:

6. PharmDoc

Pictures, so you can see the newborn girls

Under 600w of MH glory...

[​IMG]

And now showing, the Seedlings!

[​IMG]

These I'm embarrassed to show... to think these were first put into the wet paper towel on 8/14 @ 1630. May be time to pull the plug on these

[​IMG]

7. PharmDoc

Future homes of baby plants

For grins...

5 quart Hempy Buckets

[​IMG]

I mean really, no one ever said the screens HAD to be secured in place on the INSIDE of the bucket (FYI super glue is NOT the best adhesive for these things).

And the fabulously fantastic 4 gallon SQUARE buckets!

[​IMG]

8. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Hey Pharm- I'm not a hempy guy so this may be way off base but I think it's not. The reason the screens go on the inside is so the pressure from the perlite/vermiculite/hydroton holds it in place in case the glue or silicone fails.

cheers,

9. Mrgreengenes

I cut a one inch hole in the bucket and the screen i use is fiber glass.

The glue I use is by Goop it's there plumbing brand. In the states you can find it at any homedepot or lowes. It has never failed as a adhesive and stays pliable. You can see a picture of the tube in the first picture of this link.

http://www.growkind.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29638

10. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Since you've got a hempy or fifty under the belt I'll defer to you MrGj.

11. Mrgreengenes

OK RR. :roffl:

12. PharmDoc

Member? You member...

Ok sooooooooo I think I may have f'ed up severely. I got really excited that roots were showing on my little big bud seedling in the pods, so I decided to skip the middleman altogether and put them in 4x4 rockwool cubes, and put THOSE in the 4-gal hempy-fied buckets. So there's about 100 feet between the "reservoir" and the root end. Should I just try to put a little some-some on the cube each day til the plant is larger, or did I really screw the pooch by jumping ahead? I know MJ is a resilient plant, but this is asking quite a bit...

13. RkyMtnWayHigh69

RkyMtnWayHigh69 2010 NAGC Winner

100 feet? Do you mean it's about a foot from the tap root to the water level? If so, your ok, just top water it for a week and the root should be able to do it's thing after that.

If you have good oxygenation the DO (dissolved oxygen) will be available to the root even if they aren't directly submerged in the solution. Make sense?

Basically, it's the bubbles created by the airstone. As they pop they "extent" the reachable area of your nute solution to above the water level, allowing the roots to absorb without being in the water.

Ok, I need a :animbong:

14. PharmDoc

It makes total sense. Thing is, I don't have an airstone...

shit

15. PharmDoc

So by top feeding do you mean just enough to get things moist again or should I actually ressy this thing out each time? I can do either but it seems like that'd be a waste of H2O and nutes to fill the res once, then just overflow it each time til the roots hit and start drinkin:beerchug-2:

Damn, and I'm not even :bong-2: Damnit! I gotta be AT WORK in less than 6 hours. Tomorrow night's another story...

16. PharmDoc

Oh, and lastly...

I dunno if it'll make a difference or not but I switched back to 24hr days for the young'uns. Maybe it'll accelerate their growth? I read somewhere that it doesn't really matter but I figure it can't really hurt either. 'Cept in the pocketbook

17. PharmDoc

Cool, I will be doing a bit of top-feeding til things grow up a bit. From the looks of things, all is well for the little ones, except one actually looks chlorotic in the middle of the first set of leaves and also a bit on the tips. I will post a pic ASAP of this but the other three seem to be doing quite well. Again this is 100% perlite, under 600w MH in an enclosed sun system reflector running 24hr days. I was watering with 2ml/gallon of a 1/1/1 nute solution. Maybe its too little nute? Cotyledons are still green and intact but I know there is no nute value of rockwool or perlite so...

18. PharmDoc

Fed again today. I'll post pics after work. I put an extra 1/2cc of 1/1/1 fert in the dose I gave the yellowing plant. We'll see what happens in a little bit. So far, we've got 2 sets of true leaves. Grow #2 (Hempy #1) is off and... well... crawling

19. PharmDoc

Pictures. 'Bout damn time!

Ok, so enough explaining, here's what I'm lookin' at

[​IMG]

or this view

[​IMG]

and its not like it's getting burnt, the light is about a foot+ over the tops and the others look just fine. See?

[​IMG]

Hmmm... maybe it IS gettin a little warm in there. Perhaps they'd benefit from a "night" cycle. Any suggestions?

20. PharmDoc

Any thoughts from anyone? I could be smokin', but I think the night did nothing for it YET. But I'll have to keep an eye on the new growth to see whats up. Seems like a viable little plant, just yellow.

RkyMtnWayHigh69 likes this.