PharmDoc's Hempy Attempt Kickoff

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Cultivation' started by PharmDoc, Aug 13, 2010.

1. RkyMtnWayHigh69

RkyMtnWayHigh69 2010 NAGC Winner

Sorry I've missed your replies. :laugh:

I thought you had a different set up for some reason.:ponder: I have ZERO experience with Hempy buckets. I must have been stoned or something?:laugh:

I'd definitely raise the :light: higher. A foot off new seedlings is quite a lot of heat. 88F is right at the top of the threshold of your maximum temp.

Other than that, it looks like your doing just fine. make sure they don't dry out and you should be ok.

But, others have ALOT more experience than me. I'm just guessing really.

Sorry for the confusion.

2. rollin2techno

rollin2techno cL053t Gr0w3r

Yeah I am not liking that 88 degrees very much. Though I don't think it's related. The light does look high enough to me. What are you doing for ventilation?

3. TheFomorian

TheFomorian Neo-Shaman

I dunno about that yellow one. The only time I've seen yellowing on new growth like that is when there isn't enough light, which you obvoiously have.

It's not undernuting, because you still have cotyledons. It's not overnuting because I'm not seeing any burn. Odd...

As far as how small a hempy can be, I've finished in cut down 20oz bottles (about 15-16 oz space). I'm going to line my next flowering with some cut down 32oz bottles growing a Thai-hybrid straight from cloning/rooting that tends to do well in them.

On an side note, I've also found that you can finish tobacco in the same cut-down 32oz bottles.

4. PharmDoc

PharmDoc Just a NORML guy

Would I cause my plants to stretch if I take it too far away? Or, would it not matter b/c of the intensity of the light being produced? Its just that with me going Hempy this time, I won't be able to retransplant and take away any stretchyness.

5. TheFomorian

TheFomorian Neo-Shaman

Au contraire, mon frere. You could move the light up, let them go a tad, then scoop them out and re-bury them deeper into the same pots - burying the stem while getting your roots closer to the res.

Hempies, particularly with a rockwool base, are quite forgiving when moving around. Just dump some perlite out from the top into another container to give you some room and expose the root mass. Scoop and pull gently.

6. PharmDoc

Raised the light up one notch on the ol' light yo-yo's and things seem to be greener with the little one. She (hopefully) looks a little behind sizewise compared to the others but hey, progress is progress. More updates to follow.

Oh, and as always, thank you so much for your help and information :not-worthy:

7. PharmDoc

I kind of bridged an update with the new thread in the beginners loung regarding plant size and rates of growth. I'm probably just being impatient, but I want the plants to be stable if I need to jet out of town for an inevitable family emergency. I know it's really, REALLY flawed thinking (safety of plants v life of family member) but wouldn't you think the same for your pets? (I get it, it's WAY different... so I'm an asshole) Anyhow, I just want to know ABOUT when I can stop top feeding the little ones and actually go at this hempy deal full out. I'm 19 days from seed sprouting (as of 9/9) and the plants are maybe 1 1/2"-2" tall with maybe 3-4 sets of leaves. I'll post some pics soon.

I had to do a little adjusting since some of the leaves were showing some signs of nute burn, but I think I've flushed that away. I just can't wait for the new growth to explode and to take a little bit more of a "hands-off" approach to this new method. I probably shot myself in the foot for transplanting so soon, but I also have 4 solo cups running with 8 day old sprouts in there too, so I'll have a grand total of 8 plants to grow to gender, then pick out the males and go from there. THEN I'll think about cloning b/c what a f'n waste of time raising males only to chop 'em. And no, I don't really feel like doing any pollen chucking right now, so seeding isn't an option at present.

More to come...

8. PharmDoc

Exhibits A-E

Group shot with solo buggers

[​IMG]

Now for the individual 4gal bucket plants closer up...

[​IMG]

as you can see ^^THIS ONE^^ is a little nute burnt, but overall OK

NEXT

[​IMG]

Similar story, little further along in the burn ^^^^

NEXT

[​IMG]

See the burn on the edges... and I thought I was being careful :F-A-Q:

NEXT

[​IMG]

Probably good that this one's as blurry as it is... note the extensive yellowing and browning of the first set of true leaves... this happened to one other plant and since the leaves didn't rebound, I nipped em. these may go soon too.

Well, there you have it. My mini's in all their tiny glory at the moment. I'm open to criticism, praise, suggestion, cash, money orders, and precious metals.

Later! :alien11:

9. PharmDoc

wow its been awhile without an update. Unfortunately I had some family matters take me out of town for a few days. As soon as I get back upstairs I'll post some pics. I'm happy to report the 4 big bucket plants are showing alternating nodes and I'm about to swap over to 12/12 here soon. I just need to iron out what I'll do with my other 4 little Solo plants since they're a bit behind the others (as you all will soon see). But yeah, on with the grow!

And R.I.P. to my Grandfather

10. PharmDoc

Ok so right now I'm about 40-45 days veg (my actual day count is downstairs and I just shut off SNF and all the electronics for the night, and I'm lazy to check for sure) and things seem to be looking good. I noticed today thta I've got alternating nodes starting and I'm contemplating FIM'ing the plants to see what happens, although I'm not 100% sure of the process or location. I kinda feel like I'd just be chopping their heads off. Anyhow, after I figure the logistics out, it'll be 12/12 for these Big Bud plants.

[​IMG]

The little Solo's are ready to rock and roll!

[​IMG]

And finally, nodes of the alternating persuasion

[​IMG]

ResinRubber likes this.
  11. greenthumbwhitethumb

greenthumbwhitethumb down w the moral majority

I think they look quite nice, PD!!! As far as hempy, I know NOTHING whatsoever, but I can look at a plant, and they look nice to me. IMO, you've made it past one of the toughest parts - when they're young and easily damaged.

Just keep up on monitoring - it's really easy to get a couple months into it, and start slacking, and that's when you start burning your plants! (speaking from experience....) I think you're doing well! :thumbs-up:

peace

GTWT

:XXhippylove:

12. AlienBait

AlienBait Custom User Title

Sorry to hear about your Grandfather. Hope the rest of your family is doing well.

Also, your plants are looking very nice.

13. RkyMtnWayHigh69

RkyMtnWayHigh69 2010 NAGC Winner

Great looking plants mister PharmDoc! :) :ebert:

I've missed this thread for a bit I think . . . Looks like all the ladies are happy and growing well. ;)

Thanks for the update. ;)

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather . . . I know how it is losing a loved one . . . R.I.P. GrandpaPharmDoc!:angel5:

14. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Your Hempy grow is coming along nicely Pharmdoc's. :not-worthy: I love Hempy because it's simple to do, and I like things easy and simple.

15. Dixie Hicky

Dixie Hicky Excommunicated

Pharmy! You are gonna SO LOVE HEMPY!

Rinse the perlite by running water thru a colandar (spaghetti strainer thingy)

Ph just like you said.

Start in Hempy Solos. At around six inches tall, trans to a bigger container, like a quart milk container with the top cut off. At a foot or more, THEN go to the five gal. Otherwise, you're right, that lil root is gonna have to do some serious reaching.

Now...Im assuming you WANT some big huge plants? IF SO, then sure, you'll need the fivers. Me, I prefer a SOG Hempy, so I leave mine in the one gal. containers thru flowering. Smaller plants means a shorter veg time, means a quicker harvest. Again, Bigs or Littles, is a personal pref sorta thing.

Another thing to consider--- A Five gal bucket is round! So, I expect two is all you can fit under one light? Consider shopping for a tall kitchen trash container or two or three or four! The beauty part of Hempy is, it doesnt matter what shape, height or width your container is! You could easy fit three and probably four tall kitchen grabage containers under your light because they're rectangular...tall and narrow, rather than ROUND.

And, Im sure they hold five gal or close to it. Maybe more. Doesnt matter---I KNOW they're plenty big enough for a big-ass plant.

I cant wait to hear how you do! Hempy is The Bomb! Oh, also, you CAN re-use your perlite. It's a pain, but hey, it's worth it, to me at least. After the grow, dump the perlite into a big container, fill with water and some Clorox. Let it sit a while, then pour off the water, rinse the crap out of it to remove the chlorine and let it dry. Now, it's ready to be used again! Of course, it's a lot easier for me because I dont use big containers. You'll have to decide whether re0using perlite is worth the trouble.

God knows it pretty cheap.

Trransplanting is so EASY. Just tip the container horizontally and slowly start to pour off the perlite until the roots are exposed, then gently and carefully lift the plant out. Before that, go ahead and put perlit in the container you're moving TO, but only fill to the height of the length of your roots. Now, hold the plant over the new container and beging to add perlite by the handfull (or a scoop) until the roots are covered and the container is full. That's all there is to it. When you go from the Solo to the one quart container, you'll see how it works---then, going to the BIG container is just the same process, just lots more perlite.

GO FOR IT!!!!

Dixie

16. PharmDoc

UPDATES:

Flower room and veg room. Onlyabout 10 days or so into flower, but I ID's 2 males (axed) and 2 females (yay!). They got HUGE really really FAST.

See??

[​IMG]

And the other girl...

[​IMG]

and in the other room I've got a mix of Hempy and a Hydro attempt. These are still Vegging under 600W MH, and my clones are hiding in the corner out of direct light, and they seem to be doing well so far.

[​IMG]

and the clones...

[​IMG]

Til next time everyone!

17. spinkler

spinkler Game On!

Awesome so far Doc! Those ladies look to me to be pretty sativa dominant, no wonder they're reaching for the sky! :)

Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see the results! :thumbsup:

18. PharmDoc

Thanks man! They are Big Bud from I can't remember who. I THOUGHT they were indica doms, but you can definitely see the variations in phenotype among the strain. I'm super-mega-ultra excited about my clones though... Canna, did you hear?

Heath's Black Rose

:droooling: :droooling: :droooling: :droooling: :droooling:

Woot!

19. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Those a looking mighty sweet my friend looks like you are dialing them in nice.

Teamster6

20. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

The kid's turning into a serious gardener! My guess is by next year you'll be putting us all to shame.