Plant fell over overnight? what to do!

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by jimmyHIP, May 21, 2006.

1. jimmyHIP

jimmyHIP Germinated

My tallest sprout (about 3 inches) fell over last night, i woke up and tied it to a pen i stuck into the soil next to it.

What could the problem be?

I have a fan running all during the day phase, it's off during the 6 hours of dark, could that be it?

over watering? under watering?

Please help! I don't want the same thing to happen to my other 7 plants.

2. bigkev219

bigkev219 Germinated

plants falling over is usually due to lack of light or faster stem growth than what the plant can support. THis happens when the light is too far away from the plants, cuz they stretch "reaching for the light"

Attaching it to a pen is a great idea in this case. the stem should strengthen soon.

Move the light closer (about 3 inches is fluoro, abount 16 inches if its a HPS or other hot HID

3. THSea

THSea Filthy Floozie

---------------------

4. jimmyHIP

jimmyHIP Germinated

It's a sort of weird situation.

I have a ton of these 125w indoor plant daylight spectrum bulbs.

At first, this original plant I have the problem with shot straight up and grew maybe 10cm very quickly.

Two other plants are growing more slowly and with the leaves getting bigger.

Yesterday I woke up to 2 new little plants popping out, and today another THREE were out, when I got home tonight they were all 3-4 cm high with small leaves.

I germed and planted about 10 seeds over a week ago, is this typical?

5. wawona

wawona The Trichome Connoisseur

plants fall over as seedlings all the time it's common. especially for the fast growers.

6. jimmyHIP

jimmyHIP Germinated

oh really? okay cool then =)

7. UrBigBuddie

UrBigBuddie MEDI-GROWER

ABSALUTELY NO NEED TO WORRY YOUVE DID THE WRITE THING MAN STICKING THAT PEN IN WHEN YOU DID MAN, AS YOUVE SUPPORTED IT, AND CONTINUE TO DO THIS UNTILL U CAN NOTICEABLY SEE THE DIFFERENCE IN THE STRENGTHENING OF THE STEM MAN........ KEEP FAN FACEING THE PLANT AT THIS PRECISE TIME AND LOWER(SLIGHTLY ) THE PLANTS LIGHTING SYSTEM YOUR USING......

THIS SHOULD SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM NO PREROBLEM...LOL....

ANYWAY GOOD GROWING AND KEEP GROWING MAN......

PEACE N TAKE CARE......

UrBigBuddie...........

I HAVE A PROBLEM TOO, I JUST BRUSED MY BUD STEMS(IM STONED RIGHT NOW...LOL) AND I BENT THEM OVER OUTWARD SO MORE LIGHT COULD GET TO THEM, BUT I WENT BACK TODAY AND NOTICED MY PLANT LOOKED DYING, BUT HEALTHY, IFF YA KNOW WHAT A MEAN????LOL

ANYWAY..... IVE NOW JUST PUT SPLINTERS ALL THE WAY UP THE PLANT TO SUPPORT THE STEMS IVE BRUSED DELIBERATELY, TO HANG THEM OUTWARDS, TO GET MORE LIGHT.....

I HOPE THIS WILL DO THE TRICK, AND IVE NOT DONE ANY PERMENANT DAMAGE OR ANT REAL DAMAGE TO THE REST OF ITSD SHORT LIFE IT HAS LEFT TO TOTALLY MATURE......LOL(HERES HOPEING MAN.......... SHIT....LOL)

IM FUCKING PRAYING IVE NOT FUCKED UP.......

ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE MOST OBLIGED AS MY PLANT HAS ONLY ABOUT WEEK N A HALF LEFT TO ITS MATURITY STAGE COMPLETED!!!!!

PLEASE HELP ME WITH SUGGESTIONS PEOPLE, IM IN DESPERATE NEED OF THEM FOR THIS PARTICULAR SUBJECT, AS ALL THIS MAY BE RUINED????? I DONT KNOW!!!!!

PLEASE HELP WITH INFO OR ANY SUGGESTIONS TO THIS PLZ PLZ PLZ..........

THank you all who supported me in the past and hopefully all the people that will support me on this..........ty ty ty ty ty

UrBigBuddie...........

8. wawona

wawona The Trichome Connoisseur

if you are gonna support the seedling with something, it's best to not tie the stem directly to the splint. The plant needs to be able to move back in forth a bit. If you tie it tightly to the support the plant will become dependent on the crutch and will never support itself. also, you need a fan in there gently lblowing the things to make them stronger.

9. jimmyHIP

jimmyHIP Germinated

i've got a fan blowing right at my plants.

if i shouldn't tie it tightly to the pen, should i have it more loosely so the plant kind of, i mean, dangles a bit?

10. nugsandhugs

nugsandhugs New Sprout

i usually use a twisty tie or a paperclip... twist one end around the end of your pinky so you have a little loop on the end. then slide the loop around your stem and bend the rest of the tie downward and stick it in the soil. this way there is still room for your seedling to move around and grow stem strength while still being propped up...

11. Kathmandu

Kathmandu Veggy Stage

Exactly!

Kev is right on the money!

12. StashDaCash

StashDaCash Latae Sententiae Excommunication

another little known fact.......Calcium rich water blocks micro-nutrient absorbtion and will cause a sprout to go limp and then proceed to shrivel but while it starts to go flacid it will otherwise appear healthy.. if your water source has alot of calcium build up this could be a problem as well.. what do the coyt leaves look like

13. Mr. Wakenbake

Mr. Wakenbake Latae Sententiae Excommunication

a straw split lengthways, cut the length of the plant allows the plant to shake within the straw, therefore strengthening the stem but not letting it fall over...

then put a fan on them ho's make sure the leaves are rustling in the wind.:cool:

14. Clarence Weedman

Clarence Weedman Latae Sententiae Excommunication

have u chkd 4 bugs? sum bugz actually eat da rootz of plantz & then they topple over! chk da bttm of yo pot & soil also.

15. jimmyHIP

jimmyHIP Germinated

I've actually had some problems lately, not sure what, but I've got one really healthy plant left that has it's original seed leaves, its first pair of leaves about an inch and a half long, second pair of leaves further up about 3/4 of an inch and it's third set popped out about 1/2 inch long now, and doing very well! this is about 2 weeks in.

16. krondikebar

krondikebar In A Cloud Of Kush Smoke

you should try and post a few pictures if you have a camera. pictures will help us all give you better advice. just a thought, peace:D