Plant too big for container?

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by phtstrat, Mar 8, 2004.

1. phtstrat

phtstrat Germinated

Hey all, My plant has been having a couple minor problems lately and i was wondering if one of the reasons is that its container is too small. My plant is nearing 10 inches tall now, and it is in a pot about 5 inches in diameter with about 3-3 1/2 inches of dirt in it. It almost looks too small, so I was wondering what you guys though?

2. nulfire

nulfire Developed Alternating Nodes

Yup, that's a little tight. Put that plant in a 10" or 12" pot.

Good Luck!

3. mikegar21

mikegar21 New Sprout

Hey Phtstrat,

I would reccomend Putting the plant into at least a 2 gallon pot. If it was my i would put it in a 5 gallon pot so then i wouldn't have to ever move her again. It's a different situation if space is limited. But i say yes, move her into a bigger pot. Give thoes Roots space to expand through the dirt. Make sure before u move her to water her so that when u try and get her out of the pot she stays together... Goodluck

-mikey-

4. Greengrowhydro

Greengrowhydro Developed Alternating Nodes

definatly need a bigger pot... thats obviuos

But what problems is the plant having may not be just the pot, so descibe your problem, and i can help you..

P.S. pot size depends on how big you plan to grow the plant.

for instance if you plant is ready to flower at about 12 inches or so (plants usually mature 6-8 weeks into veg cycle) .. your plant will triple in hieght once flowering begins to harvest time. so a ideal pot would be about 2 gallon pot or so..

5. llIndigoll

llIndigoll Medical Grower

It is a good thing to let a plant maximize its space in a pot, and it sounds like you have done this successfully.

Preparing for transplanting is important too: ClosetGrowth's Method, Botanist Method, and Nomad's technique.

Supposing you had 4' of head space total. You could assume that the plant will grow (untrained) ~1'/gallon in height. When the plant enters flowering it could double or triple in height. As hydro said previously

pot size depends on how big you plan to grow the plant

More information per your plant's 'minor problems' would help.

6. growinfireman

growinfireman A Fat Sticky Bud

All good tips. I am just about ready to put mine into 12/12 at that size (10-12") it would be true, that if you had a six foot tree outside, it would give back to you nice.Nothing is better than the sun. With jogging and skirting, you can get a nice return inside while not growing em' big as Christmas. Mine jump another 6-8" in 12/12, another reason to not wait. It is plain to see, your pot is too small. Happy harvest!

7. Greengrowhydro

Greengrowhydro Developed Alternating Nodes

i wish i had a six footer outside lol, i had a freind who had 5 14 footers and they got stolen lol ;p

8. growinfireman

growinfireman A Fat Sticky Bud

a buddy of mine, in the same line of work, went on an atv ride out in the boonies with his wifey on the back. They were touring the outskirts of a vast national park out this way. They found a nice trail, and followed it. They came upon an old metal storage box thing with power lines running to it. Before he could think it through, two guys came out of the woods, and shot at him and the wifey as the hauled ass for life. We figure they were getting this years run ready. He lives out there. He was afraid to go to the sherrif, as he feels he may well know who shot at him. Bad mojo.