Police use Google Earth to bust Oregon medical pot garden

Discussion in 'Member Contributions and Social Media Forum' started by Midnight Garden, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Midnight Garden

Midnight Garden Excommunicated

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/22/police-use-google-earth-to-bust-oregon-medical-pot-garden/

Published October 22, 2013Associated Press

GRANTS PASS, ORE. – Police say the view from space helped them bust a medical marijuana garden with too many plants in Southern Oregon.

The Grants Pass Daily Courier reports authorities received a tip that 50-year-old Curtis W. Croft was bragging about all the pot he was growing on his property outside Grants Pass. Investigators went to Google Earth to find out what they could see.

Authorities say online satellite images taken in June showed dozens of plants in neat rows, so the Rogue Area Drug Enforcement Team sent up an aircraft for a closer look and checked state medical marijuana records.

They showed Croft was registered to grow for five people, which amounts to 30 mature plants. Authorities say a police raid in September seized 94 plants.

Croft was arraigned on drug charges last week and released.

2. Psycho D

Psycho D LEE VAN SPLEEF

Got greedy. Got busted.

One of the reasons I place my outdoor erratically. Coast Guard flies over a couple a times a day...and now Google Earth....sheesh.

3. Midnight Garden

Midnight Garden Excommunicated

you can see my 2011 crop with google earth.

4. SmokenToke

SmokenToke Germinating

Thank goodness legalization is happening on a broader scale. With the combination of the NSA, Google Maps, and other surveillance methods, underground growers are at a greater risk every day. Legal growers will be forced to be careful with their methods and not overproduce.

The good news is that with the business moving into the mainstream, quality will improve, questionable fertilization methods will be stopped, and money will flow into the government coffers, whether that is a good thing or not.

I never thought about using Google Maps to help identify the types of crops people are growing. That could be scary for a lot of people out there.