Polyploidism in Cannabis

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by Useless, Jul 9, 2007.

1. AlienBait

AlienBait Custom User Title

Hey man, don't drag me into this conversation...I'm a Physicist, not a "Plantologist." :)

2. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Retired.

Sounds beyond my limited knowledge Useless...

Cheers Useless:icon_thumright: .... So to do this Useless what kind of BASIC knowledge would a guy need to have,sounds outta my league anyway but interesting all the same and a subject i personally knew nothing much about till Useless has spoken of it in this thread,a good thread for our ADVANCED section cos it defo sounds like you gotta have advanced knowledge on this topic.Enjoying the thread though:wink: Yeah id REALLY love a visual UBB ,Useless or anyone who has one.Peace:ebert:

EDIT: :roflmao: @ AB:new_alien: Iv been looking for your post in this thread for 5mins,lol,iv only just realised why you quoted/posted what you did:qbluewacko:

3. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

So, uh......anyone (UBB???) had a whorled phyllotoxy or whatever that turned out to be female???? Cuz I have one now....

[​IMG]

Those are three cotys, no true leaves yet....I have been reading very mixed findings. Some peoples went hermie, some reg male, some reg female.....

4. Useless

Useless Diogenes Reincarnate

Heya CG,

I wouldn't think too much of it. Whorlled phylotoxy (sic) is is the result of a variation in a single chromosome. The genetic make-up of ganja has XX number of chromosomes. Certain chromosomes control the growth pattern of the plant at certain points of the plant life. A few of these chromosomes and their specific role have been identified and are outlined in the first post. A single chromosome variant (which is what causes whorlled phylotoxy) has not been shown to have any influence on plant sexuality. More details below... ;)

T.A. - To help you with a visualization picture this -

Have you ever seen the a-typical diagram of a DNA strand? It's called a double helix. If you haven't seen it, picture two ladders wrapped around each other in a spiral pattern. Each "rung" of the ladder (also referred to as a "chain") contains a set of chromosomes.

MJ is a biploid. Meaning it has two chains (or ladders) of DNA wrapped around each other in a spiral pattern. A tri-ploid would have three chains or ladders in the spiral, and a tetraploid would have four.

Now, tri-ploids are proven inferior in all studies of polyploidism on any species of plant I have read about this subject on. Tetraploids are shown to be superior to the normal biploid of any particular species of plant. (This is why, although I am skeptical of UBB's claims, I certainly hope the best!) The thing is, there are few studies of polyploidism in cannabis. Many say it does not occur naturally in cannabis, that MJ requires chemical treatments to induce polyploidy. Another article I had come across years ago stated polyploidism in MJ only occurs once in every couple hundred thousand to once in a million or more. Either way you slice it, polyploidism in cannabis is either non-existant naturally or is extremely rare.

The big thing about UBB's claims of polyploidy that make skeptical is that he is running landrace genetics. Since polyploidism is easily reverted back to bi-ploidism by the slightest change in environment, (they simply shed the excess DNA chains or ladders and revert back to biploids with the slightest change in temp's., RH, lighting, nutrients etc..) and that most of all polyploids occur by forced genetic introduction of another species or sub-species, it seems unlikely that a true landrace would have any polyploid traits.

With those facts in mind, it seems much more logical that what UBB is seeing is genetic mutation (otherwise known as a "variant") in a single or multiple chromosome(s).

I will say again, I do hope that UBB does have a polyploid. If he can prove it with a print out of the mapping, showing a tetra-helix DNA chain, I want some of the pollen from his males for "testing". ;) I have some bad ass strains to cross, and I would like to try isolate a true poly just for breeding purposes.

I have some connections at UCLA, and can get genetic testing done by a friend who is working on his Masters degree in micro-biology. He is more than happy to do me a favor an test anything I want, but time is limited as he only has 1 more year of study. That means I will be lucky to get 3 grows tested after growing crosses and selecting possible poly's.

OK, I have rambled enough. I hope that helps explain the topic at hand, and the discussion UBB and I have been having.

Cheers!

5. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

THANK YOU SO MUCH. For both the pm reply and this.......thank you. You make me feel a lot better. Even if I get a male, which would suck, I still feel better knowing that I wasn't destined from the get-go. At least now I have a chance.

I have to add though, it's "phyllotaxy" not toxy.......don't want to step on your toes, you are WAY smarter about this than me, I just kept getting corrected by the search engines :)

People in general seem to profess that they are getting comparably larger yeilds with their whorrled plants and that many continued to grow in three's throughout their life, though not all. These are just people in random forums that came up in searches about the subject, so I don't know if it's correct. But I tend to believe people when they speak in this forum so I don't have any reason to not believe others. Everyone lies, but their are some good pictures of budding female trifoliates and I must say they are interesting. I was lucky to come across this one no matter what happens. My first grow had bud coming from the centers of leaves and now I have another oddity....and I have been growing a lot less than a lot of people here.

These are random pics of other peoples 3 coty plants that kept their trifoliate pattern and were non-hermy females, i'm getting excited/hopeful -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Useless

Thanks for the spell check CG! LOL

I can never remember the spelling on that one!

Tri-folitaes would indeed produce more yield, no need to explain further since you seem to be a smart cookie.

That's one of the reasons I think UBB's plants are examples of whorlled phyllotaxy [ :) ] and not true tri-foliates. Triploids are weaker in every aspect than a biploid of the same strain, grown in the same conditions.

That said, I have to throw this into the mix as well.

In all studies of polyploidism in cannabis, the polyploids were chemically induced. The unknown possible effect of chemically treated plants could be loss of vigor. But on the flip of the same coin, tetraploids from the same studies that were chemically induced in the same way, proved to be better than the original biploid! Something to chew on concerning this discussion.

Suffice to say, the studies of polyploidism in cannabis are few, and although the studies show a lot of similar observations, they also have some discrepancies. Hence the supremely interesting discussions on the topic.

7. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

You mean, triploids, right?

8. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Retired.

Keep the topic going...im starting to understand it better now...

Cheers Useless,that second last post you made there explained it all to me in terms i can easily understand,yeah i have seen a typical DNA strand but its a human one i seen not a plans but i know what you mean about the amount of strands determining what type it is like a tetraploid,etc.Very interesting and thanks for breaking it down into laymens terms for me,id love to see some visual references of a tetra plant nevermind the data print outs,lol,so UBB if ya got one and still got all your data then it would be great to add it to this thread,this thread could end up making the FAQS if it becomes detailed enough ith pictures,etc...or at least a sticky in advanced cos its a subject iv never seen spoken of on here until this thread.

I'll say one thing Useless you sure know your stuff man and i gotta give ya props for that for sure,cheers for taking the time out to explain it all to me,etc.UBB where are ya,the silence is deafening bro?Lets advance this discussion/topic further by adding data collected and visuals like Useless says,Canna good of you to join in our little topical discussion we got going,the more the merrier.Its not a subject that all will show interest in but im glad im not the only one who wants to know more.I gotta say though Useles,this info is great to know for myself and others but all this dna mapping,etc sounds very...well beyond my limited science knowledge.But im enjoying learning,its always good to have the knowledge to pass onto others so i wanna learn more,who knows i might eventually be able to do this.

BTW useless you mentioned that chemicals are usually used to induce this tetraploidism,etc...what kind of chems?Like gilberric acid or summit like that?Cheers for the updates:icon_thumleft:peace:smokin:

[​IMG]

9. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

Colchicine is the chemical he speaks of....it's mentioned a few times above.

"Colchicine is a highly poisonous alkaloid, originally extracted from plants of the genus Colchicum (Autumn crocus, also known as the "Meadow saffron") "

In medicine it's used for several conditions including "Gout" but in Botany it's used to induce polyploidism by not allowing chromosome segragation during meiosis. After that happens half the gametes have no chromosomes and the others get double and those embryos have double chromosomes.

"While this would be fatal in animal cells, in plant cells it is not only usually well tolerated, but in fact frequently results in plants which are larger, hardier, faster growing, and in general more desirable than the normally diploid parents; for this reason, this type of genetic manipulation is frequently used in breeding plants commercially."

Interesting stuff....although I must say I doubt any of us would end up actually doing this, but ya never know. I wouldn't be surprised if Useless tried it. :punk:

10. Useless

Yes CG, I did mean triploids. Was slightly buzzed from a few at dinner last night...lol

And CG is spot on about the chemical. It is in fact colchicine. I have to strongly advise against anyone using this chemical. It WILL KILL YOU if handled improperly.

11. UrBigBuddie

UrBigBuddie MEDI-GROWER

Sorry MA man!!!...lmao

I did actually MEAN to point this out to "Useless", and Useless i will try as i said, to phone my friend, and just to see iff he had his mapped out threading on his computer back up files or in general the print out , or "A" print out of ANY genetically Proven guides to how this was named and Proven out to be a POLYPLOID, but as i did say so before hand, lol, it was around 7 months since seeing him, though getting intpuch is np, but getting him "IN" the house is another thing....:qbluewacko: :5masked: :icon_confused: :rolleyes2: :)

Anyway, il do my God Damned BESt to try n get a PRINT OUT at least of the GENETICS of the SWAZZI and the cell count of the CELL-NUCLEUS and Genome count aswel, il do my BEST ma brotha,[​IMG] thats all i can do, aswel as put up a Cpl pics....[​IMG][​IMG]

Rememebr that POLYPLOIDISM is very rare in a certain way, in the FACT it is NOT common to come across a POLY in any case, nevermind my luck in this one, and as you should know, Tetra-Foliate and Double genome Seedlings of POLYPLOIDISM is very HIGH in the MALE:icon_confused: -FEMALE ratio, and the POLY was claimed to be, by my *friend , that it was a SOMATICALLY enhanced, (NATURALL OCCURANCE in genetic's) obviousely, as none of us had heard of a POLYPLOID to start with, and certainly had no idea it could be "braught one", by human enhancement with ceratin Drugs, that i have just found out, through this thread and a little reading up on the "HUMAN ENHANCEMENT of POLYPLOIDISM"!!! :) [​IMG] (Extremely intereting subject on the HUMAN enducing of POLYPLOIDISM)

So to us , polys or tetra's or tri's, or anything at all......The Duplicational values of the naturally produced polyploidy i "HAD", Happened by "natural occurances",(SOMATIC Duplication of the Cell Chromosones) ..."so i was told",:rolleyes2: :) and the chromosones in these specific genetics of this SWAZZI seedling, resulted in duplication (No-MORE ) in the CHROMOSONES .

So my friend has told me, so all was NOT genetically enduced, but was specifically enhanced by "NATURAL" occurrances in SOMATIC cells Duplicating within themselves , and not humanly enhanced at all(Drug Enhanced)......[​IMG]

Exacuse the Spelling and shit Useless, my "BLUNT" was a little over packed!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

P.S, Il TRY my BEST to get a COPY or a PRINT, (If still exists on record,lol, which Im sure it Should be, knowing HIM!..lol) of some sort of evidence/Show, on how he mapped out the DNA and the GENETICS of this specific POLYPLOID of a Swazzi-RedBeard :sign13: :) :punk:

Peace n Much Respect to you Useless my good friend,

UrBigBuddie.......:pimp: :bigok: :thumbsup: [​IMG][​IMG]

P.S, The Genetics can be ENHANCED using certain DRUGS, CHOLCOSINE (Which interferes/prevents, "CELL DIVISION" )

MOST POLYPLOIDISM plants, were thaught to be braught on by HYBRIDISED GENETICS following CHROMOSONE Doubling!!!)

*There are other Drugs used to HELP produce/Enhance the production of POLYPLOIDISM with HUMAN Help, in such elements in COLCHOSINE,

P.S.S, The enhancement of POLYPLOIDS are now found to be UN-Reduced GEMATES and TRIPLOID bridges are a MAJOR source of Polyploid Formation! (A little extra in the BASIS and general know-all of how POLYPLOIDS come about, and how they can be enduced to become one by the use of certain DRUGS by the BIOLOGIST, to create such a plant in a POLYPLOID!!!)

Peace Out for now all,

Respect,

UrBigBuddie......:pimp: :bigok: :thumbsup: [​IMG][​IMG]

12. hellostupid

hellostupid Stupid Iz. Stupid Duz.

Useless is Growkind'z "Ed Rosenthal" & "Jack Herer"

:punk:

I'm so glad to know that Useless is still here after all these years....YES!!!

Whenever Useless posts somethin'....you know I'll be one of the 1st to read up!

:smokin:

It's good to hear from ya again Useless....and we growkinders are definitely lucky to have you here!!!!

:XXsunsmile: :eek:ccasion5:

13. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Retired.

H.R. WARMKE's method of artificially making a polypoid...

Yup Useless is like a walking talking growers handbook for sure,lol.I found a lil article about polypoidism and how to artificially make your plant a polypoid so i thought i would add to this thread,get back on the topic kinda thing,the more i learn about some MJ botany the more interested i get.Cheers:smokin:

http://www.dutch-ganja.com/polyploids.html

Polyploid Cannabis plants were produced by treatment with the alkaloid colchicine. Colchicine interferes with normal mitosis, the process in which cells are replicated.

During replication, the normal doubling of chromosomes occurs, but colchicine prevents normal separation of the chromosomes into two cells. The cell then is left twice (or more then) the normal chromosome count.

Warmke's experiments concluded that polyploids contained higher concentrations of the "active ingredient." However, the procedure for measuring that ingredient was much the same is described for grafting, with probably similar shortcomings.

Polyploid Cannabis has been found to be larger, with larger leaves and flowers. Recent experience has shown that polyploids are not necessarily higher in potency. Usually they are about equal to diploid siblings.

Colchicine is a highly poisonous substance. The simplest and safest way to induce polyploids is to soak seeds in a solution of colchicine derived from bulbs of winter or autumn crocus (Colchicum).

Mash the bulbs and add an equal part of water. Strain through filter paper (or paper towels). Soak seeds in the solution and plant when they start to germinate. Cultivate as usual.

Only some of the seeds will become polyploid. Polyploid sprouts generally have thicker stems, and the leaves are often unusually shaped, with uneven-sized blades. Leaves also may contain more than the usual number of blades.

As the plant grows, leaves should return to normal form, but continue to be larger and with more blades.

If no polyploids sprout, use less water in preparing the solution.

Colchicine is also a prescribed drug for treatment of gout and is taken in pill form. These usually contain .6 mg per tablet. Use 10 tablets per ounce of water, and soak the seeds as described above.

Colchicine is also sold by mail-order firms which advertise in magazines such as Head or High Times.

Because colchicine is a poison, it should be handled carefully. It is not known if plants from seeds treated with colchicine will contain a harmful amount of colchicine when plants are grown. Harm is unlikely, because the uptake by the seed is so small, and because the colchicine would be further diluted during growth, as well as diminished by smoking. But we cannot guarantee that you can safely smoke colchicine-treated plants.

14. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

Soooo....does anyone have any idea why a plant would have three main branches/colas (naturally) and leaves also coming out in threes?????????

15. Useless

That's called a genetic variation CG. Basically, a single chromosome has developed a mutation, or variant.

16. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Retired.

*calling Useless*

Useless:icon_thumleft:.. is the method i posted above a working method to induce polypoidism in MJ? Just curious as to the truthfulness of the info i came across,have you ever heard of this Useless and if so what kind of results did you hear about.Is this something worth my time basically:ponder:Cheers:smokin:

17. Useless

Colchicine is the only way I know of to induce polyploidy in a biploid. I haven't read your post yet, but will get back to you and give ya some detailed instructions on it as soon as I can mate!

18. UrBigBuddie

UrBigBuddie MEDI-GROWER

Lamens Terms!

WOED^^^^^^^

A Fucked up genome Phenotype of a certain strain! lol

Peace,

UBB.........pimp: :potleaf: :wink: :thumbsup:

P.S, Keep it Up bro, Good to se ya back on de forums brotha!!! :wink: :thumbsup:

19. noreastgrow

noreastgrow Super Dank Headies

polyploidism

It is my understanding that if you have a triploid, it will be sterile because the cells have an extra set of chromosomes, and cannot pair it up so it fucks it all up. I know that bananas are triploid, and can not be propagated from seed.

In conclusion: triploids suck. not worth your time to grow them.

Polyploids are very very interesting though. Worth keeping.

NEG

Oh and how the fuck do i know this? I'm a environmental horticulture major....

20. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Retired.

Cheers Norea:icon_thumleft: Good to know we got some more botanist growers on here,cheers for the fedback.Appreciated:smokin: