Questions on a d.i.y. dwc hydro system

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Cultivation' started by Tex-Elektric-Bud, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Tex-Elektric-Bud

Tex-Elektric-Bud Journey man sparky

i'm strongly considering going to hydro over hempy! i wanna do a dwc system, i was reading krondike bar's d.i.y. thread and his pics aren't in the thread due to his absence of 90 days. which is to bad cuz it seems like an easy way to do it! i was searching around every where for a good d.i.y. dwc system besides his thread and cant find much, so my question is for all you experianced hydro dwc growers. Do you have any good sites or any threads on how to make an easy dwc system? i like the hempy buckets, but u can beat the speed of hydro! pics and instructions would be preferred! thanks to any one who helps! TEX!

2. Nilzar

Nilzar A Fat Sticky Bud

Check out Smarmys DIY DWC Here!

Its real easy and plants love DWC!

3. RkyMtnWayHigh69

RkyMtnWayHigh69 2010 NAGC Winner

4. blah blah boy

blah blah boy Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

I think everyone is going to start with DWC.

There are simply to many pro's and not enough cons about it.

5. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

I recently grabbed up the 8pack of these setups from General Hydrophonics

http://www.generalhydroponics.com/genhydro_US/waterfarm.html

Was bout 350 with all the nutes and rock, lines, pump etc...

or try the single one for 70 bucks, comes with everything you need minus th plant and water and elec..n light

6. Joe King Park

Joe King Park Auto-Pilot Grower

The Waterfarm , Or Aquafarm ; Despite Being The Oldest U.S Designed Hydro System Made Available To The Public ( See http://www.eurohydro.com It Is Not A DWC SystemIt's A Dripper .I Can Make A DWC System For Under £10.00 ( Although I Prefer The More Expensive Rubberised " Rubbermaid " Storage Tubs )A Correx Sign ( House For Sale ) Costs Nothing , But Please Chose One From A House That Has Been Sold :wink:. Cover Correx With Lightproof MaterialTwo Netpots Per TubForget About Hydrogen Peroxide , And Consider Cannazym Instead :wink:http://www.growguide.info This Will Ensure Your Roots Stay Healthy And Free From Contamination.Of Course , A Airstone And Pump Will be Your Biggest ExpenseI Like Rena Pumps , But Any Budget Pump Will Suffice.I Have Grown DWC In Almost Every Shaped Container ( Mop Buckets Thru Bathtubs ) .My Secret For A Hassle Free Grow Is To Change The Nutrients Completely Every Week My Images Don't Normally Upload Here , But You Can Find Some Of My D.I.Y Projects @ http://www.photobucket.com/PistolPete General Hydroponics Does Have Their Panda System , And New Age Waterfarms ( With Solar Spinners )But May I Suggest Visiting The Worlds Oldest Hydroponic Supply Company ( Dr Alan Cooper Released The N.F.T System ( Nutrient Film Technique ) A Couple Of Years Before General Hydroponics Released Their Airpump Assisted Dripper They Sell A Plug And Play System Called The Oxypot However , You Can Make One Of Them For A Quarter The Price:wink:http://www.nutriculture.com All The BestJKP:smile: 31 gallon Rubbermaid- Best Quality.jpg

6-pod-bubbler-Big.jpg

Bubbler Gone Crazy.jpg

HGB Demo-003- Cheese.jpg

/monthly_2010_01/57a6ca15899bd_31gallonRubbermaid-BestQuality.jpg.328135fde2b7b18e6d21bed0d0faca74.jpg

/monthly_2010_01/6-pod-bubbler-Big.jpg.4459f00af2415fb81457939c4daaff0c.jpg

/monthly_2010_01/57a6ca1594200_BubblerGoneCrazy.jpg.e68bee164f34f5580fcf6abde56c914d.jpg

/monthly_2010_01/57a6ca1599300_HGBDemo-003-Cheese.jpg.61fada8eb224082ff007064d33b41788.jpg

7. bottomrail

bottomrail Germinated

8. Tex-Elektric-Bud

k so i looked at chriscrete's link to sure to grow easy build it urself bubble cloner which is a dwc system correct, well i looked into the "sure to grow STG medium " has any one used it? it sure sounds compelling over rockwool or hydroton or perlite, its sterile, ph neutral, non wicking which they explain in several reasons is much better! it seems so easy and perfect, any suggestions? i think i am gunna do some more reseatch on making the dwc system but i'd love ppl's input on the STG medium!

9. CCrete

If your talking about the white grow medium things....THEY SUCK BALLS!!! They are crazy expensive $ 4 each and they say you can reuse them but you cant, even with machine wash. This info comes from a few people that use them at the hydro shop i shop at. I actually was asking today about them and got the not so good responses.......remember Tex your watching their selling points video of their own products:passit:

10. Tex-Elektric-Bud

thanks chris, needed to know how it was b4 i wasted my money! i'll just stick with hydroton when i start constructing my system, and i've been researching a ton on the dwc system but every one keep talking about water temp issues with it and i wanted some input on on what ur temps should be and other ways to avoid root rot. any input is helpful as i'm gunna have to learn all these things and pump schedules and everything, thanks guys! TEX

11. CCrete

From what i understand the water tempsshould stay around 65-75f.....?? I think thats correct......and i also believe that the pump should be aerating the water full time......

Wheres Useless or skunky at?

12. blah blah boy

blah blah boy Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

How many times a day should the pump turn off and on for drips/dwc?

13. RkyMtnWayHigh69

I have 7 seperate WaterFarms and I run my drip rings non-stop 24/7/365.

I can't imagine you'd wanna run them on a timer.

Now, DWC is a different thing that I'm just learning myself, so I can't comment on that.;!

Hope thats a help.:bigok:

14. Tex-Elektric-Bud

it all helps! i'm reading my ass off to know everything i will need to succesfully grow with dwc! so water temps dont have to be super cold then, i just dont have room to have a water cooler system as well as a dwc system in my closet! any input is greatly appreciated, thanks guys! TEX

15. RkyMtnWayHigh69

I'd say a water cooler isn't necessary. I've never had to use one in any of my grows with the Waterfarms.

As for DWC bins, I don't know, but I'm thinking the roots are the same so that would mean to me that you don't need a water cooler.

16. Tex-Elektric-Bud

yah my grow room doesnt get to hot n e ways, its winter here as well so my temps aren't spiked, i usually mix my nutes for my hempy buckets the night b4 feeding and let them sit open over night for chlorine purposes cuz i use tap water, never have to use ph down because my tap water is 7.2 ph and after adding nutes and letting it sit over night it always drops it perfectly to 5.8-6.0, will this method work for mixing my rez for dwc?

17. Joe King Park

Joe King Park Auto-Pilot Grower

Use 6 Litre Milk Containers Filled With Water And Frozen Solid ( Use Two Containers)If Water Temps Rise Simply Drop Container In DWC TubJKP:FAQ: Cheese Roots- Single DWC- Hydor Air Pump.jpg

DWC On A Shoestring- Two Cheese Plants.jpg

/monthly_2013_06/57a6cac1601aa_CheeseRoots-SingleDWC-HydorAirPump.jpg.89c0d4004ef4208048c98a88ca74588c.jpg

/monthly_2013_06/57a6cac164a27_DWCOnAShoestring-TwoCheesePlants.jpg.42e2cc19993bcdf95280728bfe086e32.jpg

18. Bje4201

Bje4201 Vegetating

I'll tell ya what, I tried to go hydro and started with dwc. It was a lot harder than I thought. I did a log on it, it will show you pretty much what NOT to do and what happens when you do it wrong. Here's a link to it if you want to see what can happen when it doesn't go right.

http://forum.growkind.com/showthread.php?t=46173

19. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

Hey Joe. Do you realize that post/problem was 1 1/2 ago?! :lmao:

20. Bje4201

Bje4201 Vegetating

Well shit. Got me too, all I saw was what looked like a new thread. I really need to look at dates before I post on a subject.