S1 what exactly?

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by Justcheckingitout, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

So I emailed the breeder from Dr. Greenthumb and asked about their C99, And why it was three times the price of others, he said his was a S1 from orignal Brother Grim cuts and everyone else had F1 or crosses period.

I dindnt want to sound stupid emailing back and asking what S1 was because I thought when you took a cut from a strain and made seeds it was a F1???

Or does F1 only relate to if you haf two different phenos or strains and made seeds?

2. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

pretty sure hermie seeds, if done right its mostly feminized seeds of a clone, if done wrong it passes hermie trait to the beans. But basically seed clones

which makes me wonder about the killing field i have...things that make you say hmmm

3. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

An S1 is normally when a breeder self pollinates a female. Hence the (S) designation.

Usually done by creating a male from a desired female via application of colloidal silver, silver thiosulfate, or other hormone altering compound. Then the breeder crosses the resultant male back to the parent female. S1's can show greater phenotype variability than F1's or F2's. This is due to the greater likelihood of passing recessive genes.

An S2 would be created if the breeder then crossed back an S1 offspring to the original female parent. And so on, and so on..... at that point weird things can happen.

That's my take anyway. Feel free to correct any errors.

:passit:

4. Justcheckingitout

So like making seeds using C. Silver on a female clone?

Edit, I was writing the responce when Res wrote his responce. Lol

So this is considered better than crossing a male and a female of the same plant together and then backcrossing generation to get the desired trait of that female clone that the S1 was made from? Did that make sense?

Here's a better explanation of what I meant take Dr. Green thumb c99 is the S1 and then Mosca seeds is the BX-1 to get the desired traits of the pineapple pheno that is like the S1. Did that help?

5. ResinRubber

IMHO it's not better. Selfing is a necessity when dealing with clone only strains, or, when you only have a female to work with. Some fuktard "breeders" use it as a shortcut to create name brand strains without doing any actual breeding. Simply self somebody else's "Supreme fuck your Brain Fire Kush" (fake strain) and sell buckets of S1's.

Green Thumb C99 S1 x Mosca C99 BX1 ? I get that right? Methinks the resulting offspring would be a F1 of the two different parents since the breeders are different and you have no knowledge of how they were created. Could be wrong...somebody else probably has more knowledge here than me.

As for the cat talking shit about S1 vs F1....I'd take the F1 8 times out of 10. Cat's blowing smoke or delusional.

6. Justcheckingitout

now I know the Dr. GT c99 is seeds from a clone of the orignal brothers grim C99 (the S1) and Mosca seeds took two different orignal Brother Grim clones and back crossed a gen to get the pineapple pheno (BX-1 c99) my question is...

Dr.GT S1 C99

or

Mosca BX-1 c99 sound better?

I cant see paying 3 times the price for a S1 unless its way better than the BX-1. But if the BX-1 is from orignal Brothers Grim stock also and they went the extra breeding step to get a stable pineapple pheno sounds better?

Would the mosca bx1 be considered a F1 that was back crossed for the pheno?

When Dr GT said all others were crosses or fakes, he makes it sound like hes the only one with the orignal???

7. ResinRubber

Now I get it!:idea:

Here's what you gotta remember. An S1 only uses the genetics of one parent. Recessive traits start appearing when this is done. You'll get phenos that range from pretty darn close to "what the fuck is that?"

The Mosca seeds used parents from two different phenos. You'll see less variation in phenos since fewer recessive traits will surface due to a larger genetic pool. Basically...a better shot at more plants in your desired range of characteristics.

The Mosca offering used parents from differing phenos of the original Bros Grimm and worked those to an IBL before crossing. (so they say) Don't see where the BX comes from? Unless they also went the extra step of backcrossing the next generation to one of the original parents to stabilize or something. I dunno....it all gets confusing. Tapped out on all I think I kinda know.:eusa_eh:

Looks like GT just took a prize clone and selfed it (S1) then is selling the seeds. Pretty fuckin' lazy if you ask me.

Mosca is the better bet.

8. Justcheckingitout

Yes Mosca said they backcrossed a gen of the cross of the two parent clones. This sounds like a better deal but I am no seed breeder expert when it comes to S1's and BX-1's. But I aim to be! :coolbounce:

So Dr. Greenthumb says/thinks his are better saying they are orignal strain, but like I said, if Mosca used orignal strain Parents and backcrossed a gen to get the desired pineapple pheno, that sounds pretty good, I dont see any cons to the Mosca BX-1 or how its less than as or not as good as the S1 the Dr. G is claiming?

9. Justcheckingitout

Just to add to the thread, I talk to the guy at Mosca and he said their c99 is closer to the US version.

I still can't believe Dr. Green thumb wants $150 for five seeds. Now I hear they have a high herm rate. I guess if you can get that one good pheno its worth it but dam its still high priced.

10. ResinRubber

I ain't paying $30 a seed for anything less than an IBL from an incredibly reputable breeder. Even then it'd be a hard swallow.