Salinas v Texas and why it's important for growers

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ResinRubber, Jun 30, 2013.

1. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

The Supreme court decided silence or non-response to questioning by an officer of the court can be an assumed admission of guilt. That Salinas was/is a murderous thug is irrelevant. Oftentimes the undermining of civil rights happens in a search for justice of a very deserving ugly case. Salinas is deservedly locked away.....and our future rights against self incrimination have been trampled in the process

This should be heart stopping for anybody involved in the civil disobedience of cultivating or transferring cannabis. That a suspect (grower) can be assumed to be hiding information by simply exercising a Fifth Amendment Right prior to being Mirandized is unthinkable in a Constitutional context....and now a part of U.S. judicial practice. For more information click the below links that will take you to a summary by Cornell Law School, the American Bar, and speculation as to how this affects white collar crime investigation by Forbes.

For us growers it undermines our right to not self incriminate under questioning by a cop.

Cornell-->> http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/cert/12-246

American Bar Assoc. ----->> http://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/publications/supreme_court_preview/briefs-v2/12-246_resp.authcheckdam.pdf

Forbes----->>> http://www.forbes.com/sites/insider/2013/06/19/the-supreme-courts-decision-in-salinas-v-texas-implications-for-white-collar-investigations/

2. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Retired.

Wow,disturbing:eek: We dont have the 5th amend. in the UK obviously but if you are interviwed under caution for ANY crime you have the right to not comment,then when charged you can go to court and refuse to make a plea or declaration. It means you will almost certainly be remanded till trial but STILL you are presumed innocent. Iv seen right wing elements over here in the UK recently try to chip away at this. Some of them even going as far as to say the accused should be presumed guilty till he proves himself innocent. THAT IS FUCKING MINDBLOWING!

The reason thats mindblowing is because if the Crown wanna ACCUSE me of a crime then its entirely up to them to prove that accusation beyond reasonable doubt. If theres an element of doubt or the crown cant pick holes in the defence of the accused the the accused walks and rightly so. It scares the bejesus out of me to hear people talk in this way. Usually its when a big case collapses with some wrong un. I dont buy all this "if your innocent it wont affect you" bullshit. Easy for others to say when they aint in the firing line. I swear the days coming when the only rights we have is rights dictated to us:sad4:

3. Useless

Useless Diogenes Reincarnate

Yea RR, I was reading something about this as well.

Apparently you now have to declare your right to invoke the 5th amendment before you remain silent, otherwise silence can and will be used against you in a court of law. Pretty dumb if you ask me. I always thought the constitution was there for our protection a citizens, doesn't seem logical to have to invoke a right that is already guaranteed in writing by the official laws of the country. But hey, anyway the politicians and LEO can twist things to arrest more people they can and will do.

I'd bet the toilet paper at the capitol building has the constitution written on it so the politicians can literally wipe their ass with it, as well as metaphorically.

4. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Intent means nothing to anybody in government power any more. That the Rights outlined in our Constitution are stated as inalienable and inherent simply by being a human being seems to have escaped the elites trying to make us all into sheep. Now we have to be able to recite them on demand at the right time to be able to keep them.