ScROG... How long should I keep tucking?

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by OldSmokey, Mar 14, 2016.

1. OldSmokey

OldSmokey Registered Users

How far into flower would you guys who Scrog continue to tuck branches? My plants are 9 days into 12/12 and the stretch is going to last another three weeks. I can only raise the light another 14 inches.

Thanks,

OS

2. JuggaloKing420

JuggaloKing420 Just clownin around

Looks like you're running a hybrid(s). I don't see another 3 weeks of full stretch going to happen, so I'm assuming you mean final height after bud formation. If it was my cab, I'd tuck one more good time and let it ride.

3. OldSmokey

That's two Killing Fields and a Sannie's Jack. When I ran the cabinet twice before in my way too cold garage, the one thing that seemed consistent about the KF was that at 31 days from flip, they stopped growing vertically. They did have buds on them by then. Some were taller than the light.

Now that the cabinet is in an area where I have some control over the environment, I'm a little unsure what to expect. I don't want to overflow again.

Thanks for the advice, JK. Looks like I have some gardening to do.

OS

4. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Hey OldSmokey, I pinch tops up to three weeks to slow vertical growth. Looking good so far.:goodjob:

5. OldSmokey

Thanks, Mrgreenjeans. I've never tried pinching, might have to give it a go if things get out of hand.

This grow has a lot of "firsts" for me. First time bending over small plants to increase branching, first time not topping, first time in a well-controlled environment, first time with CO2, and first time scrogging. I'm learning a lot this go round.

Yesterday was the last tuck. Sort of. I used some vine clips to hold down a few of the taller tops. This worked out better than trying to get them under the very full net, and it seemed to put a lot less stress on the branches.

OS

6. OldSmokey

Here's how it's turning out. At 30 days, the girls stopped stretching, with about 2 inches of adjustment left on the light. I did have one stalk that got away from me and it's about 5 inches from the center of the glass, with nowhere to bend it. I did try pinching it in a couple of spots, but it didn't slow it much. So, it's gonna have to put up with a little bit of heat and light.

When I was looking at the photo, it dawned on me that the small fans aren't doing much to cool off the space right below the light. i added another fan on the right side, above and between the existing two. It blows right on the beanstalk's unhappy top.

About 7 weeks to go...

OS