Scrog screen height

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by OldSmokey, Dec 19, 2013.

1. OldSmokey

OldSmokey Registered Users

Hi Everybody,

My current grow of Killing Fields is not doing so well. Why? Well, it's because it's outgrowing my cabinet. The 3 plants had been topped twice and were slightly under a foot tall at the flip. The plants are now almost 4 weeks into flower, 4 feet tall and still stretching. The light's raised all the way up and two of the main colas rammed themselves into the glass on the hood, after growing 3" overnight. Kind of ugly, requiring a lot of bending and wire to hopefully resolve in a half-ass (and yield-killing) manner. So next time, it's gonna be a scrog.

The cabinet will physically allow for a maximum plant height of 42", allowing for 6" clearance between the tops and the glass in the hood. (BTW, the light is 400 watts, covering a 48" X 21" area. I'm pretty certain that 400 watts isn't gonna penetrate my current 4 feet of plant growth very well.)

When I make a screen, how high above the perlite should it be placed? Also, what size mesh is appropriate for a screen? Lastly, at what point in time should the tucking of the plant under the screen be stopped?

Thanks,

OS

2. choker

choker HIDING OUT

Stop tucking once you start flowering. Screen size 3x3 works well. I have used 4x4 too. I put up my screen on when they got 1 foot tall. Technically you can put a screen on when they 3 inches from the pot. depends on your light space. View attachment 18547

DSC00341.jpg

DSC00383.jpg

/monthly_2008_02/DSC00341.jpg.c2aa64b0ea6fff2ba820b7deb45eac39.jpg

/monthly_2008_11/DSC00383.jpg.f3d2765df4115d735794fdae27b854f3.jpg

3. OldSmokey

Thanks, Choker. After seeing how things are going with this grow, I'll definitely be scrogging next time.

4. JuggaloKing420

JuggaloKing420 Just clownin around

This depends on strain. If you're running an indica dom then, yes stop tucking. But,if you're running anything with a decent stretch the screen is pretty much worthless if you don't tuck during the first two weeks of flower.

5. OldSmokey

Been running Killing Fields, the tall, stretchy green pheno. I've come to believe that she is just curious. Outdoors, she wants to peer over the fence and indoors, look real close at my light. She definitely needs a firm hand. Next time she isn't gonna get the chance to take over.

Thanks guys,

OS