Seedling to Veg: When and How?

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by Dan Truong, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Dan Truong

Dan Truong New Member

This my first grow and I need some advice please... :cheese: This is a soil grow (FF Ocean Forest) and I will be using 5 gallon smart pots.

I have 8 seedlings in pint-size cups that I plan to transplant into larger pots for veg this weekend. The plants are ~3 inches tall and just starting to show some roots poking through the drainage holes at the bottom their pots. 3 of the seedlings came from feminized seed, so I will move them directly into the full-size pots. The other 5 seedlings are not feminized...so I want to sex them before moving into the full 5 gal pot to save soil. What is the best way to do this? I was planning to veg them in 1 gallon pots to get them more mature, then take clones and flower them to get the sex. Is there a better (and quicker) way?

Also, what are your thoughts on the medium? I plan to mix the FFOF with some more perlite and some mycorrhizal fungi. Should I mix in some other additives? Dolomite lime maybe? and how do I know what I should be mixing into the soil at this stage?

Thank you!

2. Green Goblin

Green Goblin Cannabis Connoisseur

Welcome to GK!!! :bigok:

What you've got there is good, I might consider appl-ying something with trichoderma directly to the root ball

There's no faster way to sex a plant, easier though to waste a bit of soil. Your only talking a few plants going male, say 9 gallons of soil maybe?? You may find it easier being your first run of things if they are all the same. Just my .02

Happy Growin' :pimp:

Ps. Where's the pics? We need pics :bigok:

3. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

It's not really necessary to flower a plant to sex it. It will give you an answer sooner but letting it vegg longer will give you a much larger plant and thus more bud. If you do decide to take clones and flower early be sure to keep a close eye on them so the sacks don't have time to pop open and screw things up.
    If you use a neutral medium like Pro-mix you know exactly what you are feeding them and the soil is reusable after a flush. Good Luck!!!!
    Be Cool, CG