Started my DWC set up today

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Cultivation' started by Justcheckingitout, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

I will get a pic posted tomorrow, but here's where I am at,

I started one 10 gallon tote with 2 net pots for the first few weeks of veg. The lid will fit my 14 gallon tote I am going to use for flower. The 10 gallon tote filled to just about the bottom of the pots was 4 gallons. I may have to go with a 18 gallon for flower??? the totes all use the same lid, so no big deal there.

Got two clones I used that sprouted out of the rock wool cubes, sprouts are about 2-3" long, and put them on about 1" of clay pellets in the net pots and filled the rest of the pots to the top with the clay pellets, the clones are good and healthy but they have the pre bud deal going on, this happened in the clone dome, got it with the last round of C99 clones I had also, but those are in flower now in soil and look yummy!

Ok, moving on, for today, I got my water ph level lowered from 8 to about 5.8 and left it be. I think tomorrow I will check again and add the first week's nutes using the GH3 "Useless" formula.

How long till I can expect the roots to start coming out of the pots into the water?

Also the air pump I got, is HOT, it's the commercial (Eco air 1) with the heat sink housing. Is this normal? It's way hot to the touch. I plan to run 4 totes with it down the road. I think it does 38 liters per min.

So I guess I am a official hydro grower now after 13 or more years of growing in dirt, man I wish I would have done this sooner, way less mess. not having to wash my hands after the work was weird....:roffl:

:popcorn-2:

Special thanks to CC, T6, and Growing in TX for all the extra questions I had, and thanks to everyone else who chimed in on my threads about this.

2. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

Good luck man... I just started my first DWC... I doing one plant in s Lowe's five gal bucket

3. Grown in Tx.

Grown in Tx. Locked and Loaded

:thumbsup: awww hell, here we go:-welcome-:

4. Justcheckingitout

Yes, I seen and read your thread, I didn't want to highjack it with to many new questions, so I started this one...:thumbs-up: Looking good!

5. Justcheckingitout

Ok, so I found out the answer to my question about how long it will take the roots to pop thru the net pots....they already did.Here some pics, the clones are not the best looking, but it won't be long I'm sure they'll be looking great.I am going to check ph level and add the first weeks nutes today. After adding nutes, it there any reason to keep checking ph level's until next res change?

tote.JPG

root.JPG

/monthly_2014_03/tote.JPG.3ae12225433b8e59c6a80adf59b7a0ba.JPG

/monthly_2014_03/root.JPG.b749412ba5b4a407b0d0eea2bea99870.JPG

6. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

Try to maintain 5.6-5.8 pH range...

7. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

Once I set the ph I leave it till the next res change.

8. Justcheckingitout

I noticed before I added nutes it was 4, so I raised it and then added the nutes, it's looking good, clones are stretching good.

9. Justcheckingitout

well today, I noticed more roots popping thu the nets and there are a shit load that is growing around the pellets in the pot, it's crazy how fast this happens, just two days. Guess in two weeks it will look great!

I wanted to thank CCrete and Grown in TX, for the extra help with all my DWC questions before I got set up, also those that chimed in to add info on my threads. I am glad I switched and Useless had the GH3 formula for us to use. That makes it easy for me now. :thumbsup:

Well since I good with the set up, I am off to the beach...:bravo:

10. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

Screw your beach!!!!!:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Its 28 here......STILL!!!!!!!!!!

11. Justcheckingitout

We froze our ass off, it was 62 deg at the beach... the wind was bad, I figured with spring break it would be packed, only seen 50 cars in about a mile of sand. only time I had to wear a jacket at the beach and still was cold. Was sunny thou....:coolbounce:

12. CCrete

I was in Jacksonville, st Augustine and ponte verde last week, it was 78-80 for 3 days strait...girls all over the beach, long islands on the pier, steamed shrimp and gator tail till I got sick of em..........then I came home to my little slice of frozen hell!!!!

13. Justcheckingitout

Man you should have got with me, I know a lot of good party spots around this place, Bike week use to be the shit but now it's so comericalized and not as dirty as it use to be. But still fun. Great White and Vixon played one night in Daytona two weeks ago, that was cool.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2014
  14. CCrete

I rented a massive house for later in September in Ponte Verde beach, right on the beach up on a dune...got the family with me tho, ill hit u up then

15. Justcheckingitout

That's the good part, you can rent a huge ass house for a week for what you would spend on 3 days in a hotel. Best way to go.

16. Justcheckingitout

Ok, one more DWC question,

Is it a good idea to mix up the water here and there to keep the nutes mixed or does the bubbles pretty much do the trick?

My two clones are doing good, going to cut the pre bud deal off the top and they should start to grow out, the great thing is the box I built for the garage, has enough room to put in the flower tubs and a sep section for veg plants,

I most likely will just put mother plants in soil from here on out. I got the rock wool clone deal down. Takes a little longer but I have two weeks between so it works out great.

17. CCrete

keeping it topped off isn't all that necessary in the veg and early bloom weeks, as long as the roots are in the water youll be ok...no need to keep tossing nutes in there, if u ran BIG system then that's a different story

18. CCrete

I got a 4bed 4bath, 2800sq ft contemporary home, pool n Jacuzzi, with a private walkway to the beach, ocean 200ft from front door for $1,300 for 9 days...that's an awesome deal

19. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

That is a good deal. We Farmers all did a similar thing a few years back at Myrtle Beach. Same kinda house and location.

About your circulating question, in your setup I think the bubbles will do a sufficient job of stirring things up. With weekly res changes you will be fine.

20. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

I started 3 DWC in 5 gal buckets. I don't change the res out every week. I changed it after 3 weeks and when they go into flower 2 weeks later.

I do raise the nute PPM, with the help of a meter, and set the PH where it needs to be. But as long as the water is clean why bother every week?

When they go into flower I will cut the bottom out of another bucket and set it down in the res bucket and set the basket on top. It shims the basket up a couple inches and allows me to keep the water level higher which will last longer.

Probably won't totally change out till week 3 of flower but will adjust PPM and PH weekly. After week 3 I'll just have to see how much their pulling and most likely change weekly then on.

Be Cool, CG