SUNSHINE MIX #4

Discussion in 'Organic Cultivation' started by rasganjah, May 20, 2013.

1. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Anyone else used Sunshine Mix #4? I've not been happy with the cheap soil I was trying to amend and use. It's not the right consistency, too much bark and wood chips for my liking. I'm gonna throw it in my outdoor garden.

I bought 2 big bales of the Sunshine mix #4 It's a soilless mix made up of Peat, Coarse Perlite, Light amount of starter nutrients, gypsum, and dolomite lime.

The reason I got it instead of Roots Organics soil or any of the other brands of soil was simply the size of the bale for the price. It seemed like a cost effective choice at the time.

After reading the ingredients and checking their website, I'm wondering if I'm gonna like it or not. I haven't opened it and I could probably exchange it for some Roots Organics if I so choose. :passsit:

Any experience, thoughts or suggestions are welcome. :passsit:

2. Midnight Garden

Midnight Garden Excommunicated

I've never used it Ras but I know several people that use this. It rocks organic for sure, I've seen the results.

[YOUTUBE]JW1mdabsAQg[/YOUTUBE]

3. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I don't think I get that here. Never seen it at any of the stores around here.

I like Roots Organics a lot. Never had any complaints with their soil just the price. But it's just a little bit more money than the Sunshine Mix. They carry FFOF and Vermicrop and Vermifire. Some other brand called Empire Mix? or something like that.

4. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

If I could source it locally at a decent price Sunshine 4 is what I'd rather use instead of ProMix. Around here it's almost twice the cost.

5. Midnight Garden

Yeah, you may have trouble finding it, it's that way down here too. One year it will be at one place and then the next year they don't have it anymore.

6. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

This stuff is going for $36 for a 3.8 cu./ft. bale. The roots organics is $32 for a 3 cu./ft. bag

So you dig the Sunshine mix then? Good texture? I use Smart Pots so if it's so light it won't hold enough water and they dry out too fast that will be an issue for me. Any suggestions of any amendments to the mix? More dolomite, some added nutrients, perlite? I have all those things I can add to it.

I'm gonna be feeding with a tea so it needs to hold some water long enough for the roots to uptake it. I don't want to water everyday if I can avoid it. I also don't want my tea to not be able to be used to it's full potential.

7. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

It looks like great soil! I wish it were available here. Although I don't know what it's priced like. The Vermifire is some good shit, but it's like $17.99 for a 1.5 cu./ft. bag! :5eek: :passsit:

8. Midnight Garden

They pay around 20 dollars for a 2 cuft bale.

9. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Mannn! Don't tell me that! That['s a reasonable price. It just makes me more aggravated that I'm stuck in this god forsaken shithole in Southern Cali. I BELONG up North! :BangHead: :passsit:

10. Useless

Useless Diogenes Reincarnate

Well, the Sunhine mix is what killed half my genetic library. So I cant say anything good about it.

The empire Builder is OK, but sucks for controlling PH.

The roots organic is better than all the above. I have been using that lately with very good results. Though I have heard good things about the Dr.Earth. Seems here most people getting away from FFOF are going either RO, RO 707 or the Dr. Earth. I get the RO for $9 a bag.

11. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Fuck! :BangHead: That's not what I wanted to hear. How exactly did the Sunshine Mix contribute to the death of your plants?

I tried Empire Builder and I didn't like it much. I've used some Master Nursery potting soil with Dr Earth nutrients and Mycos in it. It worked ok. Roots Organics is better. I guess I'll just go and see if I can exchange these Sunshine Mix for Roots Organics. At least I know what I'm working with.

Where do you get such a good deal on your soil? It's super expensive around here! RO 707 is $32 for 3 cu/ft I can get the Master Nursery Gardener's Gold With Dr Earth for $12 1.5 Cu/ft

12. Useless

Useless Diogenes Reincarnate

The Sunshine mix had some weird mold or bacteria in it. Looked fine when I was transplanting into it, but the fresh rooted clone died within a few days, and the larger mothers and fathers within 7-10 days. Two weeks after I opened the bag, all the containers had a fungii/bacteria/mold coating on the top. Weird, bc it was gold/yellow. From a distance it looked like I had dumped sulfur prills on them. I am sure it was just a bad batch or that it got some infection, but it was enough for me to not use it again.

I get the home boy discount from my bro that owns the hydro shops. $9 for 1.5 cu.ft.

13. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Huh. Weird. I think I'm gonna try and exchange this Sunshine Mix for Roots Organics. The RO 707 has always done well for me. I like the consistency and the amount of amendments is good for veg and I can still feed during flower. I'm just getting started up again and the last thing I need is to have issues because I tried a new soil or soilless mix.

I wish I could get a price like that on soil. I get a discount at one of the hydro stores in town. Been going there since they opened. I think I get 15% off marked price of $32 for a 3 cu/ft bag. If I decide to run soil for long I am gonna see if I can get a deal on ordering a palette of RO 707

14. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Never caught what the brand was that took your stable Useless. Sad to hear it was Sunshine.

15. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

One slip up and it can screw up a whole batch of soil. My mother-in-law decided to put pastries with sugar coating on them into one of my two compost bins without telling me. A few days later it smelt like straight alcohol coming out of there. It took a month, but I finally got it back to smelling like actual soil instead of beach-ass smelling liquor.