Taffy

Discussion in 'Hash and Oil' started by Useless, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Useless

Useless Diogenes Reincarnate

Some pics of a small run of taffy.

40 grams of popcorn buds, 6.2 grams of taffy goodness.

Very smooth, very potent, very clean.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Used a slightly different purge method than normal. Came out more taffy like than the soapy/wax I usually aim for. But damn is it potent.

2. Midnight Garden

Midnight Garden Excommunicated

That looks nice Useless. I have never tried wax or whatever you guys call it. I've heard too much negative stuff about the butane staying in it after it's purged and then you end up smoking a bunch of toxic chemicals, that, and I have no desire to be on the 5:00 news for blowing up my house. What is the real story with the butane residue?

3. Useless

It all depends on how well its purged. What you see in the 1st post was purged for 2 days. I have had mine lab tested a few times, never any residual butane found in it. Regardless, if you use a lighter to spark your joints, or take bong hits, or light your cigs, you're taking in far more butane than you could ever get from even the poorest purged bho. That said, purge purge purge until you have zero bubbles from the gas. The last two pics are after 1 day of purge, and you can still see some tiny bubbles in the oil if you look closely. Low heat and whipping it up helps the gas to escape.

I dont have a vacuum pump, so I do it the old fashioned way, low and slow for days after the boil off. A vacuum pump like Duff uses would definitely speed up the process, but I would still rock a 2 day purge on low heat after using it.

As far as blowing up your house, if you boil off the liquid butane before going indoors, well away from any spark, flame or electrical device, you'll be fine. Oh, and no puffing doobies or cigs while it boils off. :thumbsup:

Side note - I was just contracted to design and build a CO2 extraction machine. Its going to be expensive as I have to design it for 10,000 PSI operation (actual operating pressure is ~3000 PSI) but when I get done I'll toss up some specs, the B.O.M. and of course pics of it in action.

4. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I make BHO all the time and I've never even had a close call with explosions. IMO people who blow their house up are either super careless or just plain ignorant. Like Useless said; as long as you boil off all the liquid butane before moving indoors you'll be safe. Now with that being said, a good friend of mine nearly lit his kitchen on fire once! Carelessness..... I dig my BHO and taking dabs.

I want to try a vacuum purge in the near future. I would really love to have one of those nifty EmoTek extractors that Stash is involved with but the budget won't allow for that. Co2 extraction sound super cool, but I bet it will be an equally expensive machine.

5. Useless

The one I'm designing will cost somewhere in the range of $8K-$10k I'm guessing. 10K PSI pressure vessel and valves aren't cheap.

6. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

:$ $$: Yeah I figured $10k+ I'm not made of money! I'm just a small time guy. Are there any smaller more affordable extractors on the market that are worth investing in? :passsit:

7. DuffMan

DuffMan Horticultural Technician

Looks good. I want some lol. Ya my vac tends to speed the purge up but the end result is the same, purged BHO.

Like mentioned before, if u use a lighter u ingest butane.

8. Midnight Garden

Midnight Garden Excommunicated

Thanks Useless. I always suspected that the "you're smoking butane" argument was bogus just for the reason you mentioned. Still scared of blowing myself up though!