The Coco Club

Discussion in 'Organic Cultivation' started by Mr. Wakenbake, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Mr. Wakenbake

Mr. Wakenbake Latae Sententiae Excommunication

Well I am starting a COCO grow club for anyone who wants to join. Beginner and pro alike. If you like to grow in coco then please join us. Give us some shots of your plants in coco and give any pointers along the way.

This thread is mostly for keeping up coco grow threads for the COCO CLUB MEMBERS.

Soon I will post up some pics of some plants that have been growing for a while with improper nutrition.. However they are overall healthy and will be revegged for an extended period of time to correct the plants. Both of them are female and both of them are going to be my experimental first grow in the coco..

I will post up some pics later on for those interested but the lights are off right now. THey are in 3 gl grow bags of sunleaves coco.. thoroughly flushed and treated with mild nutrient solutions, or 1 tsp of metanaturals grow and 1 tsp of bloom to a gallon with a tsp of epsom salts, and a tsp of black strap molasses. all ph'd to about 5.7-5.8 and flushed through the medium before the plants went into it. then I ran another batch through it after they were transplanted into the bag. I buried the stems down about 6 inches to preserve room.

These plants are healthier than they look at the moment as all the new growth is dark green and lush and coming on fast. I hope the switch to coco from the peat based soil they was in will help them. I think over time the peat based soil I was using wasn't the best thing for them as it gets mighty acidic.

Hopefully i won't kill them. I have faith though that the coco will be easier than soil in the end. This stuff just looks wonderful after it's been treated and flushed and flushed some more lol.

Gots to get them salts out Biatches!

And like i said welcome to the club. Please don't come in here and flame.. this thread isn't a debate thread.... it's a thread about coco and how to grow in it.. so lets' keep all the posts in it to that subject only..

Thanks guys and welcome to the clubhouse!

2. ClosetGrower420

ClosetGrower420 Veggy Stage

can u give me a link to a site where i can by coco?

3. Mr. Wakenbake

4. acom

acom New Sprout

I enjoy the coco club.

My next grow will defenatly be in coco.

I will be following this post for sure and hope to see pictures of nice coco cultivation soon!

Peaz out

-aCom:5headache:

5. Cabinetgrower420

Cabinetgrower420 Veggy Stage

I was convinced to go coco, I'm ordering the coco and nutes in a couple of days. Just having troubles on what nutes I need to get.

Here's what I got so far:

Pure Blend Pro Grow (3-1.5-4)

Floralicious Plus (Cant get Liquid Karma but its similar)

MagiCal or Metanaturals Organic Calcium

MetaNaturals Organic Bloom (1-5-5)

Earth Juice Meta-K (0-0-10)

Earth Juice Assist (Not sure if I need it)

6. HeadCase

HeadCase Old Prick

Hell yea count me in .

7. Mr. Wakenbake

I can see already that the coco is going to take getting used to. I just transplanted a couple plants into it. However i think that with the low amount of perlite i put in there (70/30) coco to perlite , that i won't have to water but once every 3-4 days and it still probably won't be dried out all the way by then...

Hell those bags hold a lot of medium! Anyways I will post up some pics as the plants come out of shock of the transplant. They are on a 18/6 cycle and are actually some old plants. But due to the lack of veg time they weren't producing enough bud to do anything with, so i decided to put them back into veg in the coco as my experimental try at it...

Hell we're all learning together

8. HappyHappyHighGuy

HappyHappyHighGuy dreamer and misfit

Cuckoo for Cocotek

Is this thread for anyone that uses coco fiber in their garden? What about Cocotek cubes?

I am going totally organic for my current hydro garden. I have Earth Juice nutes, Cocotek cubes and Hydroton rocks.

The idea of using attic insulation (i.e. Rockwool) is a little scarey. It may be perfectly safe, but as long as there are organic alternatives like coco, and we don't know the long-term effects of Rockwool, what reason is there to not use all organic medium?

9. Mr. Wakenbake

this thread is for anyone who uses any of the following, and preferable with organics...COCO COIR, COCO PEAT, COCOTEK CUBES, OR ANY OTHER COCO READY MADE PRODUCT FOR GROWING CANNABIS!

IF IT'S MADE FROM COCO AND YOU GROW IN IT, THIS IS THE THREAD FOR YOU!

On a side note, it has been determined that coco can be reused for up to 5 years without ill effects on plants.

and to all you coco club members thanks for joining... maybe if/when you fellow's women join how's about changing your monikers under your usernames to coco grower's club members.. this helps us potheads keep track of our coco buddies...

it will also make it easier for each of us to find another coco grower if we need help like pronto emergency or my plants will die kinda shit..

anyways it gives us a status anyways lol....i like clubs..we always had a treehouse and shit or forts and stuff.. clubs are nice..make you feel a little more important ..

10. Cabinetgrower420

lol ya clubs are fun stuff. Anyways 5 YEARS! Thats crazy, I remember reading you could use it 3 times but shiet, I'll probably only is it 3 times which will add up to a year or so. I'll probably get some fresh stuff after that as I've got the coin.

I'm ordering in some CocoTek in brick form. I'll have to soak it for awhile to get all the salts out. Just a question thought I saw it posted and now I cant find it. I know your supposed to soak it with 1/4 strength in your grow nutes, but after rinsing the salts do I soak with pure 1/4 Cal-Mag or I dont soak at all with Cal-Mag? Thanks if anyone knows this

11. Mr. Wakenbake

soak it all with the cal mag...honestly I don't think that you need to soak it at all, but flushing is needed to remove the salt.. however i do think if you don't soak that you will have to supplement the calcium on a weekly basis.. basically there are two groups of people mainly ..once believes that you must soak and the others believes that you should only flush and leave it barren other than a little added calcium.. i am of the latter right now..even though i say to do it in the unnoficial thread..i believe that really both ways can be successful but the other way you just have to add calcium/magnesium supplements with your nutrients

12. Slugg

Slugg Developed Alternating Nodes

Sorry I'm late

Hey all, sorry I'm late. I am in the process of moving apartments (same building, different flat) and just reconnected my computer. My coir just got here today along with my new pH meter! WooHOO!!! I'll keep you all posted after I get my new set up going. I'm still awaiting my new lights and nutes...so it will be at least a week or two.

-Slugg

13. Cabinetgrower420

Oh, well I changed my mind again and I'm getting a 5kg of Bontani Coco Coir so I'll probably just soak it quickly, add 1/4 cal mag and 1/4 of PB Pro. I dont want any problems and dont want to have to feed cal mag every week. I'm getting in some liquid karma and big bloom so I want to be able to use those too. I wont be getting the stuff till after xmas so might be awhile till I actually get going with coco.Thanks again WnB!

14. Mr. Wakenbake

I am going to be using a Humus/Coco/Perlite mixture.

This is basically just a soil mix but using Humus and coco instead of regular potting soil and peat moss.

I just can't give up the "soil" just yet, as my plants are just doing too well in the soil right this minute for me to change. I actually think that I am finally getting soil now that I have made my own and actually understand the organic components or it and why it needs to be there.

There is nothing added to the soil that go didnt' put there cept the coco and perlite. the humus is pure forest Humus that is full of Microchyziaa or "Mike".

Humus acts as a pH buffer and allows your plants to absorb nutrients at even an extremely high or low pH.

I also added plenty of Dolomite Lime in the mix to bring up the pH.And it will be allowed to sit for 3-7 days before planting in it.

More on Humus in the coco thread...

Anyways, the coco was just going to cost me a butt load in nutrient costs, even hand watering it and I didnt' like the fact that I had to find a place for a major amount of runoff, as in soil with organics major amounts of runoff just arent' required.

Also with just coco and perlite you must attend to the plants on a daily basis and never let the medium fully dry out.With soil, once fully watered you can leave them for 3-4 days without water or feed. Also you don't have to feed daily as you do with coco. Once every other or every third watering is fine for barren soils, and for fertile soils once a week is fine after the plants begin to show signs of defficiency.

So the verdict is, Finally, that coco makes a great soil amendment but just doesnt' have the benefits of soil including being cost effective.

So I am not going full hydro as I would have been in just coco and perlite, but I am going to incorporate COCO into my soil program for all of the benefits it gives to us. It's just an awesome addition to a complete soil environment.

15. Slugg

Slugg Developed Alternating Nodes

My coco is coaking

I currently have my coco soaking in 1/4 strength nutes and 1/4 strength cal/mag. I will be planting in it with in a week or two. I'll keep everyone updated.

-Slugg

16. Cabinetgrower420

lol WnB you do change your mind a lot. I havent even completed a grow

and I'm still going coco.. loco

I hope i dont fuk up, probably will though. I ordered in some coco coir the other days and did see this to order the Humic acid. Can I still grow sucessfully with the Humic Acid? How much of a difference would it make I wonder...

17. Mr. Wakenbake

yeah the humic acid is the shit man, just use it as directed I am sure.. but I am not the expert on additives so someone else might be able to help...

As far as my plants in the coco mix I made up... shiiiiiiittttt.. they are fucking loving it.. There is no way I am ever buying premixed soil again after making my own using the coco

18. UrBigBuddie

UrBigBuddie MEDI-GROWER

Coco Coir!!!

Im UP for this shit my man MIKEY.....TOTALLY!

Really UP 4 learning about the coco coir trade in GROWING!!!

Peace Out,

UrBigBuddie...........

P.S, already n ORGANIC man, NOW i'd LOVE to be an ORGANIC man that uses COCO COIR too!!!

This THREAD in particular, is getting very interesting indeed to find out about, as ive always grown in PLAIN GOOD SOIL WITH PERLITE MIX.....

19. Mr. Wakenbake

My plants absolutely love their new mix man.. I just cant' say enough about it.. the plants have just exploded in growth over the last couple days, and it looks as though they are only going to need water about every 3-4 days in the stage that they are in.

Check out the plants in the growkind gallery...

adding coco and humus to my homemade soil mix is the best move I could've made. The plants just love it.

UBB about the coco club, the thread is already started and I wouldn't mind answering any question that I can. Growing in pure coco with organics can be tricky, and just straight coco in general can be tricky also.

That's why I just decided to make my own soil mix instead incorporating the coco coir into my program. Again the plants are just super healthy and the medium is at a perfect pH 6.7-6.8 .

The next bit of info that I post is going to be about how and why you should use the coco in a soil mixture, if you don't want to use straight coco, or cant' for whatever reason as myself.

20. Cabinetgrower420

lol i thought adding the coco to soil was defeating the purpose but if it works well for you then keep goin. I'm still going pure coco as I'm a beginner and I wont be as frustrated if I was in the middle of a soil grow and messed it up. I checked my order and it looks like i left out the Humic Acid :5headache: it isnt necessary to have it is it? They probably would do alot better if I did order it but too late now, it'll have to wait till next time. Anyways my mixture will be Coco and Perlite thats it, with organics PB G & B, Cal-Mag, and Liquid Karma. I'll probably have some problems and be very frustrated as you said its tricky and I'm a beginner. I will keep you updated when it comes in and I get going. pce