the return to hydro

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Cultivation' started by greenjah, Dec 4, 2015.

1. greenjah

greenjah A Fat Sticky Bud

Well i have finaly cleaned the old grow room out. It was full of tools and tons of old useless crap, it took 2 days of me and my worker cleaning to get it back to acceptable growing cleanliness. I still have alot of patching of walls to do so i can run co2 but at least it looks like a grow room again.

I am weighting on the table stand and ressy, they should be in today.

So far i am working with

Strains - OG cookies, northern, and girl scout cookies

light - galaxy 1000w dimmable shielded balast with magnum xxl hood

(this light is for some in promix to get an idea of quality so i know if i want these new strains outdoor next year)

LED light for hydro - California light works and area 51 for veg and the same 2 plus an onyx bloom for flower.

2 x 4 table with 50 gal ress

Propane Co2 generator

Co2 controller

Blue labs PH, tds, and temp gauge that you leave in ress and constantly gives readout of all 3.

Air conditioner

Humidifier

Dehumidifier

Hydrologic pre-evolution high capacity pre filter

Hydrologic evolution 1000 gpd reverse osmosis with booster pump

8" 900 and something cfm Phresh filter

Max fan pro series 8" inline fan

I want to make this grow as high tech as possible so if anyone knows of anything that may make it better, let me know.

Here it is so far, the table stand and ress should be in today.

[​IMG]

the area 51 actually looks brighter then that 1000 watt.

How far do you guys run your led's from the canopy?

As you can see it is quite a bit brighter in the middle of the light pattern, it is definitely not spreading the full lumens 2 ft across like they say it should.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2015
  2. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

Looks nice and tidy! I've been running rapid led's Indus light bars anywhere from 16-18" or so above the canopy which gives me a foot print of 15-16" under each bar. Any lower than that and I begin with see a slight cut off between the bars.

Duc

3. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

Cool deal, your going to have some nice extra bud going on there for sure. Its good to have some inside stuff going on. :pimp:

So this is just for a winter run or you going to go year round?

I run my leds about 18 inch from tops of plants also. Sometimes alittle higher. When you get it diled in, oh yeah, your going to love it.

4. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Watching this space.

:passit:

5. bigbudztoo

bigbudztoo growin the good stuff

Looking forward to this.:redbong:

6. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

If money isn't an issue, some plasma supplemental lighting. Ive always wanted to see if it increases trichome production.

What nutes you plan on

7. greenjah

Advanced nutrients with the additives at the hobbie level.

I will look into the light. The hydro will be all og cookies so i can use it on the back or front half so some of all the different led lights gets some.

8. greenjah

Its coming along just thought ide show the progress, clones are still in the cloner, no roots yet.

[​IMG]

all the environment controls, just need to get an air conditioner and heater. The old ac is very inefficient and 18000 btu is a bit overkill for just these lights but depending on money i may have to still use it

[​IMG]

9. ResinRubber

Way clean work space. Very nice.

10. Justcheckingitout

cool set up!

11. greenjah

Thanks guys.

I am having problems already and I haven't even got the hydro going yet.

So I was having trouble with the dirt being to hot and roots not looking good. The plant was perk and growing but the leaves were just to skinny and not healthy looking to me so i turned off the metal halide to get it cooler but left the co2 on at 1500 ppm.

After that the new seedlings i put in and the cookie clone in one day just looks like shit. Temps are at normal growing temps, 70 something.

Question is if the temp is not up at 85 will the co2 hurt them?

If not, any suggestions. I did turn down the co2 to 650 ppm earlier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

:thumbs-up:Looks great dude!!! Man that Area 51 is a bright one!!. I've ordered a couple new leds and looked hard at the Cal Lightworks. But ended up getting 2 Lumigrow 650's.

But to your question, the CO2 won't hurt at all below 85 degrees. It just won't be as effective as at higher temps. The plants just absorb more CO2 at the higher temps,85 to 92 or so.

I think controlling the reservoir temps is really going to help things too!!.

Again, Good luck dude, looks great!!!!

Be Cool, CG

13. ResinRubber

It'll just limit the CO2 uptake a bit. I'd almost think that looks like a ph problem. Either way something funky is going on in the rhizosphere or with root development.

14. greenjah

Am i supost to exchange the air in there every so often?

I dont think that is the problem but it is something i have been wondering

15. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

You've got a good CO2 controller so I don't think it's really vital to exchange the air. It wouldn't hurt to exchange it once a day tho, like during the dark hours. That generator you have won't take a few minutes to build the level back to the optimal range when the lights come back on.

I think Res hit it with the Ph. There are those that would diagnose it as Nitrogen toxicity from a dramatic Ph swing. Just a thought!?

Be Cool, CG

16. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

That plant looks like the root zone was/is too wet or it was watered unevenly, as in too dry, then too wet, then too dry. All of that will fuck the ph up.

17. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

I have to say based on what I see of the plants, ph could be off and N could be a little high from the leaf clawing I see.:bong-2:

18. ResinRubber

Rule of thumb is a complete air exchange at least once every 24 hours.

19. greenjah

I finally got them in, cloning didn't go so well. My PH was all the way up at 8 for probably a week or more so it took a while longer and there a bit rough looking but they'll make it.

First a look at all the shit i had to do just to get the 1000 gal. a day RO water filter to hook to a pressure tank. If i hook it right to the tank it doesnt work, it puts out good water till it gets to 40 psi then it puts out unfiltered water until it equalizes with the house water pressure. Here it is 60.

Anyway it took putting the water to a booster pump to get it to 80 psi then to the filter then to a reservior with a float valve and an electric float switch to turn a shallow well pump on and off that then pumps out of the reservior into the pressure tank, the pump shuts off both if the ressy is empty or when the tank gets to 60 psi, witchever comes first.

[​IMG]

here is the setup.

The white thing on the left of the ressy is a float valve so when im filling i can just hook it to the RO and leave it till its full. I have a gallons meter so i know how much went in.

The one on the left is to drain, it goes to a flat thing on the bottom of the ressy to suck it pretty much all out, i have an inline pump that just slides into the white part you see on the right to pump it to the sink across the room.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Justcheckingitout

Your up and running, good deal.