thoughts on bho purging

Discussion in 'Hash and Oil' started by nippie, Sep 11, 2013.

1. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

whats the fastest way to make shatter without vacuum?

Can do low and slow but it may have to transported and usually don't like fucking with it (whipping it or stopping mid process) until it's purged and get great resorts

What's everyone's thoughts?

don't feel like dropping the money on a vacuum for this because it's for a friend

2. Discorilla

Discorilla Shining like a Discoball!

Low and slow is going to be best, IMO. If I remember correctly, it was during one of Danny's Podcasts at the Cup, that they were saying that some purging techniques can take the terpenes out of the oil, which effects both taste and the high.

3. nippie

I know low and slow...just try to find quick and easy :roffl:

I know stash is a vac only kinda guy, but looking for options. Was hoping to figure out a way to have everything complete in under 4 hours without vac...don't think that's going to happen

Wheres Duffman

4. Discorilla

4 hours is rough without a vacuum. When I made my ISO, it took almost 36 hours to slowly evaporate and purge all the alcohol off my 55 grams. Was a pain in my ass, but that stuff messes me up!

5. nippie

ISO you can speed up by placing it over a pot of water, do it outside if possible cause of the alchol fumes.

Wonder if a few purges, freeze and powderize the bho then repurge would work

Thinking if I powderize the bho, there's no where for the butane to be stuck in. But I have never tried this before, only froze after purged well enough to smoke

Sound crazy?? I know, but will it work?

6. Discorilla

We definitely need the concentrate guys to weigh in!

7. nippie

I've seen some claim you only need a 30 minute bath, I don't know if I agree with that.

Duff, Stash, or Useless, where the hell are you guys?

4 hours is a tight time frame for sure, that's all I will be seeing the person and I'm showing them from step one and I'm sure other things will be going on

8. Discorilla

That would be a tiny batch, I would think.

9. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I've made batches in that time frame but they weren't the best cuz you have to up the purge temps and it fucks with the terpines and the flavor and aroma is not nearly as good. Still potent but not tasty like a good slow or vacuum purge at lower temps. Whipping it can help to speed up the process but you'll most likely end up with Budder instead of Shatter. 4 hours without a vacuum is tough to get the highest quality product.

10. nippie

running 2 cans on about 1.5-2 oz through SS turkey baster

I guess I'll see what I can do.

I've read about people using an oven for final purge, don't know how safe that is. Doesn't sound safe at all, but possible after three or for baths, some time on a griddle I may opt for that route.

We will see.

11. nippie

what do you think about the freezing and powdering of the BHO?

would that stop the butane from collecting? Give it a bath after to melt it back down.

I do this with the finished product and you get amber glass, but I've never done it for the purge....but it makes sense in theory doesn't it? How would I check after?? Griddle bath and check for bubbles?

12. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I use an electric burner and a hot water bath. Just crank up the heat on the water to facilitate a faster purge but like I said you may have to whip it in order to get the last little bit of tane out. That's a small run so that helps with the time frame. It'll only be a few grams of BHO. The bigger the batch the longer it takes. Once all the liquid is initially boiled off and you're working with slowly bubbling oil it's pretty safe at that point. There isn't enough tane left at that point to cause any explosion. I don't think I would put it in the oven though. Most ovens lowest setting is 200 degrees and that's pretty hot. I'll push the water bath temp up to about 120-130 degrees but not much hotter than that. Nowadays though I'm more patient and I go much cooler at about 100 degrees and below and even after it seems done I allow it to sit at room temp for a day or two before smoking it.

13. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

If there is tane in it you'll see little micro bubbles form within the BHO at room temp. If you heat it and you see bubbles forming then you still have tane in it. Freezing it before it's completely purged would just keep the tane from escaping.

14. nippie

I'll see where I'm at later and what time I'm looking at.

Would love to sample final product tonight, but just don't have time.

I'll check in as the night goes through, friend is coming over in about 1 hour or so,

[pix

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2013
  15. nippie

I've turned BHO into powder, like a pile of coke before by freezing and using a razor.

I was trying to figure out how Stash made his BHO infused buds, and I stumbled accross that.

If it's podwer, how can it still hold tane? It doesn't bond at the molecular level does it? I know a quick bath with 190 does the trick but then you are purging alcohol and that doesn't help with the time issue

16. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I'm no chemist so I'm not sure on that theory. I see your logic but I dunno if it holds up or not. Individual gas molecules are small being at the molecular level. It may help to get some tane out but I'm not sure it would get it all out. You would know when you melt it back together though. If there are small bubbles forming as it becomes one solid chunk again then there is still trace amounts of tane left.

17. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

Fucking internet explorer suck! just lost my post and pics....

18. Midnight Garden

Midnight Garden Excommunicated

That's why those people are called bhotards. Boom boom, out go the lights!

19. Psycho D

Psycho D LEE VAN SPLEEF

:popcorn-2:

20. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

(ducrider screaming FUCK YOU COMPUTER FUCK YOU!!)

Nip I'm sorry man but I don't have time to repost the whole fucking thing now but you should be about to run 1 1/2 zips of bud inside of your 4 hour window. I made this from 1 1/4 zips of straight bud using 2 cans of tane and hot corn bags for both the initial and final purge. For the initial purge I heat the bags for 3-4 min in the microwave and maybe 1-2 min for the final purge. After a few cycles of this I place the dish in the freezer for a few min so I'm not working with a gooey mess.

this is what I ended up with after about 3 hours. At that point you could handle the bho at room temp without it sticking to your fingers.

[​IMG]

Nip, if you have a Harbor Freight tools close by check them out for vacuum pumps and canisters. I was collecting the links for you when IE crashed :321fu:..

cheers

Duc