Thoughts on my soil mix?

Discussion in 'Organic Cultivation' started by ditch, Mar 17, 2010.

1. ditch

ditch Developed Alternating Nodes

Hey guys just thought I'd check to see what you think of my soil mix. This is my first grow and from what research I've done it would seem this would be suitable for my Ak-48s :)

60% soil (bought from the local nursery, supposed to be sterilized)
    30% perlite
    10% worm castings (these are being sourced in a few days. I think I got quoted ~$20 for a 15kg bag or something - seems ok?)

Thanks for the help guys.

NOTE: I will be using Useless' GH 3 part formula when I see my soil mix has lost its nutrients.

Am I on the right track? Can't wait to start my first grow!! CHEERS!

2. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

I would add some lime in there to prevent some micro-nute and PH problems, but solid mix going in.

3. HeadCase

HeadCase Old Prick

Dolomite lime-Bud

4. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Dolomite lime is an important amendment to help with micro nutrients and also to help as a pH buffer. I also add kelp meal to my soil mixes. I like bat guano as well but worm castings are also excellent. Overall soinds like it will work out well. I will say try to avoid soil with lots of big chunks of bark or wood which can cause pH problems later as they continue to decay in the pots.

5. ditch

ditch Developed Alternating Nodes

Thanks for the help guys. The soil I have doesn't seem to have any big chunks or bark so thats all good!

How much dolomite-lime should I be adding??

6. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Nice start. The lime is a must, good calcium source too. Use around 2-3 cups per 4 cubic feet of mix. I'd add 1 cup Epsom Salts and some Thrive for mycorrizae bacteria also.

Other than that you've got it covered:thumbs-up:

cheers,

7. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

I've never measured my lime, but once it gets grainy, you know you've added too much.....live and learn....:smoke2:

8. AverageJoe

AverageJoe papa oom mow mow

:eek: Wow, that much. I haven't been using near enough.

Step it up Joe!! :wwf:

+! on the Dolomite Lime :thumbsup:

9. greenthumbwhitethumb

greenthumbwhitethumb down w the moral majority

i use equal parts of compost, vermiculite, and peat moss. i'd throw in some peat moss in your mix, it makes the soil really airy and does well with water. amazing stuff. glad to see you are adding worm castings, you can buy them pretty cheap, and they are great for adding microbes to keep funky stuff out.

agree on the lime, just started doing the epsom salts, i didn't realize until my first round of ladies how important the micro nutes are, now i'm scrambling to get them in there! so yeah, add stuff to your initial soil and get it just right. yo can also toss some egg shells in your soil for calcium, just make sure they're rinsed off really well and smash the shit out of them (little tiny pieces). been doing that for years with tomatoes, and it is great.

also, if you do decide to use compost, even if it's store bought, make sure it's broken down all the way (ie decomposed) or you'll get mold and gnats and other sucky things.

10. bigbudztoo

bigbudztoo growin the good stuff

Great info, thanks to all.... I gotta up the lime, wasn't adding enough !

Budz:anibong::anibong::anibong: