Thrips, a photo shoot

Discussion in 'Pests and Plant Problems' started by OldSmokey, Jun 28, 2014.

1. OldSmokey

OldSmokey Registered Users

The thrips have invaded my garden once again. (They're gonna find out they made a BIG mistake, this evening.) But since they're here, I figured I'd take a few pics for those that haven't seen one. For reference, they look like an oblong tan speck to the naked eye and aren't really recognizable as an insect until they start moving. In the second pic, that's a serrated edge of a fan leaf that he's sitting on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bigbudztoo

bigbudztoo growin the good stuff

Dealt with those little bastards one time, about 4 years ago.

Organicide. Kicked their ass.

3. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

WOW. Great photos. Too bad they are of the hated thrip. But great camera work anyway.

4. Psycho D

Psycho D LEE VAN SPLEEF

Yep. Informative pics! Maybe one from further back for scale but, great for identification purposes.

:passsit:

5. OldSmokey

They got their first dose of CNS 217 an hour ago. It smells pretty intense, but at least it's not totally unpleasant. I tried this stuff out outdoors last summer during veg and had very few bugs, compared to previous years when I used nothing. It's not exactly inexpensive though.

I thought about trying to get a better shot for scale, but figured that the trichome heads would have to do. I was quite surprised at how active they are. To the naked eye, they don't seem to move much but under magnification they're always moving some body part. When they do decide to hide, they're surprisingly fast for something so small. I had to go looking for him several times.

I wish that I had been able to get him in a little better focus, but his constant motion was making things difficult. If he'd have kept still, I would have taken several pics and combined them digitally to get him all in focus. At that magnification, only about .001" of depth is in proper focus.

Thanks guys,

OS

6. AlienBait

AlienBait Custom User Title

When they are dead, they'll keep still. Sorry about the bugs, nice pictures, though.

7. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Assuming the brown specks are thrip shit. great pics Smokey.

8. OldSmokey

Thanks, Resin. For a little better scale, here is one on my mutant plant.

[​IMG]

9. Grown in Tx.

Grown in Tx. Locked and Loaded

Good thing you caught it early. Infestations suck and get out of control quick