Time to build my scrubber. My house fucking stinks.

Discussion in 'DIY' started by spinkler, Oct 28, 2010.

1. spinkler

spinkler Game On!

So I had my sister in-law come over today and tell me how bad the house reeked... I had no idea it was so bad.

So it's time to build my carbon scrubber. I've tried checking out the DIY's, but for some reason I'm having a bit of a hard time grasping exactly how I'm going to build mine.

I'm hoping after briefly looking over all the designs in the DIY section that I can kind of mash something together for myself after a visit to the hardware store.

I'm so hopeless at DIY. Hopefully I can get this sorted out with not too many issues, I'll post some results as I go!

2. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

trust me on this one, it PAYS to BUY one....i did a DIY and it cost a shitload of money to get the carbon and it just didnt work all that well compared to a manufactured product done right. MY can66 filter is IMO 500x better

Just my 2cents

3. AverageJoe

AverageJoe papa oom mow mow

I just bought a 6" collar x 24" long scrubber from Chris' favorite place, HTG Supply, and it's their "bargain" brand. The name slips my mind at the moment, but even this pretty well made, brand new, way oversized for my room, scrubber doesn't 100% work.

I'd say about 90-95% of the smell I'm venting outside is gone. But I can still smell my beautiful 8 week flowering girls outside by the vent. At least now you have to be within about 10 or 15 feet of the vent to smell it. Before you could smell it 3 houses away :eek:

IMO, I would also recommend buying a good quality can if you want good results.

If not, Gratitude (I think) did a pretty good DIY on making a homemade scrubber. I almost made one awhile back but just couldn't pull the trigger on buying all the material. I always had my doubts on the overall effectiveness of a homemade scrubber.

Good luck, Stinky :thumbs-up: :roffl:

4. spinkler

spinkler Game On!

Thanks for the suggestions guys, and yeah Crooked, you explained yourself fine. :)

The only bought ones I can find at stores around here start at $200 - $250 for the small ones..!

Ebay has some for around $99, but still pretty costly compared to what we were prepared to spend.

Our hardware store doesn't stock any air conditioning ducting or duct reducers or anything, I was pretty bummed out about that. :p

So anyway, I didn't see updates on this thread til I got home from the store, and I went totally ghetto. I'm kind of dubious as to how well it'll work, but at this stage anything is better than nothing. I'll see how it goes and post some pictures and results of what I make, and in the meantime I'll keep checking out manufactured ones.

Thanks again guys!

5. spinkler

spinkler Game On!

So here's the filter I made, I'm not sure if it works yet, I still need to get some ducting or a duct reducer to fit it, I think.

Materials:

• 2x Lily Baskets - $3.98
    • ~1sq metre filter wool - $2.50
    • 1.2kg activated carbon - $13.90
    • Duct tape (Don't tell me you don't have duct tape..! :p )
    I'm going to keep hunting around to see if I can't get the carbon cheaper than that...

This is simple enough that the pictures can do the explaining. Let me know if you have any questions... :bong-2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, I figured the only problem I'm going to have is the whole path of least resistance thing. To remedy this I'm going to see if I can get one side of the filter buried in the ducting, with the other side exposed.

I wonder if it'll work. :icon_scratch:

6. PharmDoc

PharmDoc Just a NORML guy

I've got an OZN-1 machine running and it smells like right after a thunderstorm, because well, THAT'S ozone that your smelling too! The electrical charge as CxTx stated, creates the O3 molecule that is ozone, which, is HIGHLY reactive and will grab little odor particles out of the air like a champ. About $150 U.S. and you'll not have to worry about odors permeating your home til the light burns out, then it's like $20-30 for a replacement, rather than another 70-100 for another carbon filter.

7. spinkler

spinkler Game On!

I'll definitely be looking into this... Just run it on the floor in my tent?

8. Dixie Hicky

Dixie Hicky Excommunicated

OK, I admit Im kinda embarrassed to even throw this into this discussion....but, at this stage, almost done with flowering, my 20 plants do kinda stink up the place. Not real bad, but noticable.

I made a de-stinker out of a five gal bucket, threw in a pack of "moisture" pellets ( you add a handful to a potted plant's soil so you dont have to water so often, any garden shop has it. When wet, they expand to 10 times normal size). Then I pouted in a couple gals water and three oz of ONA (Odor Neutralizing Agent--used in diaper pails, fertilizer plants, dog kennels) then set a round fan on top. I found one at Walmart that exactly fits the top of my bucket. Plug it in....(blowing OUT of course) and the house fills with a nice clean smell...kinda like Pine Sol, but nicer. The MJ smell just...vanihes. LOL, In fact, my neighbor said, "Oh! Your house smells so nice and CLEAN!"

My de-stinker bucket is also great for de-stinking the dog room, where the carpet gets kinda...doggy. Bucket- maybe five bucks? Fan was 10...moisture pellets were about five...ONA (got in on line) was 15. 35 bucks, total.

My grow room is the garage. I find that if I put my stink bucket in the foyer between the garage and the stairs, all you can smell upstairs is that nice just cleaned house smell.

It's kinda low-tech...but Im a low-tech kinda gal.

Dixie

9. PharmDoc

PharmDoc Just a NORML guy

I've got mine hanging in the hallway between the two areas where my tents are. The OZN-1 is good for like 5500ft3 and unless you're growing massive amounts, I'd assume that'd do the trick. Here's a random eBay link to one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CAP-OZN-1-Ozone-Generator-Odor-Control-Hydroponics-HPS-/350406969710?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5195e2096e

oddly enough, those are the guys I bought mine from :thumbs-up:

10. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

I run a 2 bulb ozone gen ($400) and a Can66 with a 6inch fan on her ($325).....I STILL GET STINK!!!!!!!!!!!!

You cannot kill that shit, i dont care what you think or say.....ya jus cant!!! ROFL:passsit:

11. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Ha Ha spread a little horse shit out back and you wont be able to detect any smell. I never use a scrubber!!!

cheers

Teamster6

12. AverageJoe

AverageJoe papa oom mow mow

Good, I'm not so concerned then.

13. Dixie Hicky

Dixie Hicky Excommunicated

But if you dont have a horse, just hang a big QUARANTINE sign on your front door: THIS PROPERTY QUARANTIUNED DUE TO CHOLERA, BUBONIC PLAGUE, DINGUE FEVER, BERI BERI and the YAWS! ABSOLUTELY NO ADMITTANCE!

That oughta do it. Noibody wants the Yaws, man.

Dixie

14. spinkler

spinkler Game On!

Here's the remainder of my stopgap solution.

I bought a duct reducer so that I could get more surface area on the filter.

[​IMG]

I also poked some extra holes in the net pot to allow for a little more airflow. I might need to do more...

[​IMG]

Hooked it up tp test it out, and keeping a close eye on my temperature. I still have my passive intake, and when the tent is closed you can clearly see that there is still some negative pressure... The fan still appears to be moving quite a lot of air, too.

[​IMG]

15. RkyMtnWayHigh69

RkyMtnWayHigh69 2010 NAGC Winner

Very cool idea . . . I'm curious to see how it works. :)

What is this deuct tape you speak of? Do they sell it at Harvey's Handy Hardware? Sound like some amazing stuff. ;)

:rofl6:

Great build and I'm watching for more . . .

16. spinkler

spinkler Game On!

So far so good with the temps.. It's remained < 30 Celsius since installation. No idea if the smell is gone or not, I could barely smell it anyways.. That's what my room usually smells like... :alien:

17. spinkler

spinkler Game On!

Okay, so how does it work? Well when I open my tent a wave of stink hits me in the face, so I know it's working somewhat... However my wife can still smell stink at our front door, and on hot days she can smell it just outside our front door.. NOT COOL! :p

So anyways, I guess it'd need more carbon and probably more surface area... It might work okay for a drying box?

We're borrowing some money and getting a proper carbon filter, probably off ebay. I'm going to post in the beginner's forum to find out what will be suitable for my tent. :)

18. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Get you one of those fabric softener solid bars and hang it right on the front of your light intake air. Makes it smell like a dryer vent

Teamster6

19. spinkler

spinkler Game On!

Wowwwwwwww. That's a good idea for a temporary solution T6, thanks.

This reminds me of when I was in high school. I'd get some fabric softener sheets, almost like tissues, and stuff the inside of a toilet roll with them, and cover each end with one and seal with a rubber band. Exhaling through that thing allowed me to smoke in my room all I wanted! :lmao:

20. teamster6

teamster6 Guest