Timing Solutions

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by SuperMoChombo, Jun 13, 2017.

1. SuperMoChombo

SuperMoChombo Well-Known Member

I am on a monthly harvest schedule. The goal is to max yield, but do it every 30 days.

Because of errors I have had a terrible time staying on schedule. One problem I did not foresee was having cuts ready each month at the right time. Over the last year I have been too early, too late, non-existent. Since this is the beginning of the process, failure at this point stalls everything else down the line.

I solved the cloning problems I think. I used to use a single mother plant to give up cuts every month. Um, no. After 6 months the poor plant was almost unrecognizable, the cuts didn't thrive, and I was forced to take cuts out of the preceding round of plants in veg. Problem was if I waited that long to take cuts, they weren't rooted for weeks after, leaving veg tables empty and the process stalled.

This last round, I took cuts a whole month early, from the veg crop. The ones that rooted did so in two weeks, so as I sat there looking at the cloner full of rooted cuts a light bulb went off. I needed a place to put the cuts while I waited for the veg tables to open up. So I made this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now I can take cuts from the preceding veg round just before flip (when they are big enough), root them in the cloner in two weeks, then let them get started in the cubes for a week or two. No more mother plants! No more timing problems. Plus the new cuts get a week or two head start before they even go into veg tables.

I don't think I can let them sit in that tray without bubbles or flooding/draining etc for long. I think I'm safe for max two weeks. At that size they don't drink much, I can see the water level and can top it up if needed.

bigbudztoo and Discorilla like this.
  2. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

Keeping a watchful eye on this.

3. SuperMoChombo

LOL me too. I'm in forever hover mode.

4. Discorilla

Discorilla Shining like a Discoball!

You know you're doing something right when you have to expand!

5. SuperMoChombo

The worry is drowning them. Some portion of the root is submerged in non oxygenated water. Some is above too so I hope I get away with it. I made no drain but I suppose could just pump it dry. Then flood it by hand every so often. The only downside is nutrient mix. Without a res I'd have to mix up a new batch every time.

6. SuperMoChombo

I should turn it into a regular enf, then no worries. Less worries

7. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

toss a tote under there, they are on sale at lowes right now...dont ask me why i know.

timer, flood may be once or twice a day for 15 minutes

i like the problem solving thu

SuperMoChombo likes this.
  8. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

I'm not seeing the pics for some reason.

9. SuperMoChombo

i blame photobucket, which is not been behaving properly lately. though I can see em. anybody else having problems?

10. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

I can see them.

11. Justcheckingitout

. Those clones look great. You running one strain?Back when I ran one strain, I use to just take 12 clones a week and every week move 12 clones down the line. All the way to flower where I chopped 12 plants each week. But if I didnt start 2 new mother plants way eairly, I ran into same kink in the routine you talked about, but when I did like you said about taking clones off of plants before going into flower it was smooth sailing with no extra room in my veg spot for mother plants. Then I became a seed whore and all that went out the window.
    .smoking Banana

bigbudztoo and SuperMoChombo like this.
  12. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

I was on my phone...and the fucker died. I mean dead. I just had to get a new one.

13. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Hope it works for you brother. Tried that system and fucked it up. I'll call user error rather than system deficiency. Now I keep 2 or 3 moms of each strain currently in rotation and cut clones every other week whether I need them or not. Rotate the mom's out every 4 or 5 months. I do toss a ton of good clones....but never have empty garden space.

Whatever works best for you is best. Smilies Drinking

14. SuperMoChombo

I do plan to keep moms. I took two of the best cuts last round and bought two bags of Happy Frog. I cut a bunch of holes in the bottom of a 20 gallon tote and dumped all the frog in there, with a 2" layer of pure perlite every 6" of dirt, starting at the bottom. I had an old bottle of fish puke I was sniffing on occasion and I emptied it into a layer of perlite. Planted the cuts, soaked with water, and damn if that tote ain't dead weight. I've only watered once and it's been a month. they are totally rocking. I guess I plan to use them for cuts if ever my plan fails.

Why did your experiment go wrong? Maybe I can avoid a problem. I checked in tonight and all looking greener than before, and perky. No obvious nast in the water.

I tell you what engineering a fill and drain through panda, cardboard and plywood is going to be interesting.

Edit: I see a tube of caulk in my future...wreathed in swirling mist, illuminated by a spotlight

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  15. SuperMoChombo

LOL seed whore I know the affliction. I LOVE trying out new stuff. That is a major drawback to my sitch. I gotta push it through to make it all work. Not much time or space for new experiments. BB's cheese is the first strain I've ever grown that was tolerant of me. I have struggled with most others in some way. I'm just not in a position to take a chance right now on a new strain. Maybe once I get my act together and I'm not so hand to mouth paranoid of failure. Right now I take great comfort in the reliability and predictability of the strain I'm growing. It's been my life line, ironically.

Yeah these cuts look good, and the leaves that were yellow in the cloner from lack of nutes are turning green so I know they are eating and happy about it. If you look close at the pics you can see the veins are green, which mean to me it's going in the right direction. the roots are mostly pretty good balls out of the cloner, but a few (like 6-8) were single roots and a few white nubs. That difference in roots stays with the plant throughout. Those are the one ounce plants.

16. Justcheckingitout

Thats why I love the Dabney and C99, easy to grow and unless you dont feed them or water them they are hard to mess up. I had three dabs in flower in the garage, some days over 100 deg in there and they didnt seed and even thou the buds were not as big as usual, they were still med sized and I got about twice the amount I thought I would end up with.

17. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

User error. I wasn't diligent in cutting enough clones. Then you know how it goes. Couple rounds of my clones fucking up. Few rounds of half empty gardens...... yeah. Got tired of stressing low plant numbers so my solution was to be cloning all the damn time. Not like it takes much time or space and the mom's seem to stay healthier for me this way.

18. SuperMoChombo

This worked like a charm. I'm two weeks ahead of schedule. I left the plants sitting in there about 12 days, and they drank down all the water every 3 days. I put them into veg and after just three days I can see new growth, etc.

After I transferred them into the veg tables, there was about an half inch of standing water in the tray. I mopped it up with a mung towell and bleach. Two minutes and ready for the next round.

I ain't rigging no drain or EnF crap. Who want to clean all that shit every month?

Lvstickybud and ResinRubber like this.
  19. Green Goblin

Green Goblin Cannabis Connoisseur

Any chance you could share some more pics? I'm curious about what you have going on with this cloning apparatus :pimp:

20. Great going..Share some pics bro..