Tony's #10 - Cream Caramel, Kandy Kush, Crit. Jack & Sadhu

Discussion in 'Grow Log Forum' started by Tony Aroma, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Tony Aroma

Tony Aroma Let's Go - Two Smokes!

Update @ Day 63 of 12/12

And then there were none. Chopped the two remaining Sadhu last night.

[​IMG]

Here's Sadhu 2, total trimmed wet weight is 145.5 g

[​IMG]

And here's Sadhu 1, total trimmed wet weight is 153.4 g.

Remember how I said I thought the Sadhu would be the big yielders? Well, they are a bit bigger, but not by much. There's only 25 g separating the biggest from the smallest. Once again demonstrating how poor my estimating skills are.

All things considered though, this is still going to be a record harvest. Just not a mind-bogglingly enormous harvest. I think it's looking like around 1 oz per plant, give or take a few grams. So I'm predicting 5.5-6.0 oz total from the six plants. Which is not quite double my last yield (3.2 oz.), but still considerably higher than my previous biggest yield of 4 oz.

Looks like there won't be too much to be updating for a while now. After the whole plants dry sufficiently, they'll go into large ziplock bags for the cure. Hopefully it will go better than last spring when the humidity was so high for so long they refused to finish drying. Should have a smoke report right around Xmas time, so please check back.

2. TheCarpenter

TheCarpenter member

That's an awesome pic, Tony. That's what a SCROG should look like. Good job dude, harvest looks nice too.

-tC

3. Tony Aroma

After the Harvest

As expected, I'm going through post-harvest depression. Waiting for 9 PM when the lights come on so I can check on my plants... D'oh!!! No more plants to check on. Definitely going through withdrawal.

So I finally tried some of the scissor hash I'd made while trimming. Tried the little ball I got from the Kandy Kush plants. As always, LOVE the flavor of scissor hash. Interesting the buzz I got from it though. Only about 4-5 hits, but I was definitely buzzing. And by that, I mean a speedy, trippy kind of buzz. Definitely not what I was expecting from the KK. Now I'm really anxious to see what it will turn into after it's cured.

Oh well, the best way to get over growing withdrawal is to start planning my next grow. I'l be starting around the first of the year, and I already have most of what I'll be growing picked out. The rest will depend on what I like or dislike from this grow. Even though I really won't need any more for a while, I need to feed my growing addiction. To growing, that is.

4. Tony Aroma

The Cure

As of today, half my crop is curing. Both Kandy Kush (10 days dry) and the Critical Jack (9 days dry) are in ziplock bags. Here's the dry weights, buds removed from stems:

Kandy Kush 1: 23.7 g, 0.84 oz.

Kandy Kush 2: 24.7 g, 0.87 oz.

Critical Jack: 27.2 g, 0.96 oz.

Interesting, the CJ weighed the same as the smaller KK and less than the bigger KK at harvest, yet ended up with more dry weight.

Smoke-wise, I must admit I've been sampling. I've only tried the KK once, so I'll hold off on commenting on that one. I've tried a few samples of some CJ popcorn buds and have been very pleased. It looks like it's definitely going to be a very alert, energetic high. I think I'm going to be glad I didn't let it go too long. I'll say no more until the cure is done.

Looks like I'll be bagging the Cream Caramel tomorrow, and the Sadhu within the next day or two. Stay tuned.

5. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

Tony

Nice harvests my man.... looking forward to fully cured smoke reports. Glad you have incresed your yields... Im hoping to do the same. I solve the post harvest depression by always having something going. My problem is having too much for my space. LOL. I have the 3 Choc croses flowering in wek 5... I just threw in my Amnesia Haze two nights ago... I have 3 Pre98 x OE ready to flower as well as 1 OG Kush... not to mention 8 clones from the choc croses that need final pots. wanna help me out lol

6. Toker2

Toker2 Looking at a hot ass

Ya his December is going to be for remember

niice man, enjoy:passsit:

7. Rollinbonz

Rollinbonz Baptised By Satan

Sweet lookin pull Tony. Nicely done :thumbs-up::not-worthy::not-worthy::not-worthy:

:passsit:

8. Tony Aroma

The Cure, Part 2

Thanks all. I wish I could grow continuously, but I can't. Actually, I can get by just fine growing once a year. But because of my addiction (to growing), I usually grow twice a year. I'll start another grow in January, so that's good. But I really can't keep anything over the summer.

The rest of my crop is now in bags curing. Here are the results, dry weights buds removed from stems:

Cream Caramel: 22.3 g, 0.79 oz.

Sadhu 1: 28.0 g, 0.99 oz.

Sadhu 2: 22.5 g, 0.79 oz.

Total Yield (all 6 plants): 148.4 g, 5.23 oz

Not surprising, I was wrong again. True, the one Sadhu yielded the most of the group, but the other is tied for the smallest with Cream Caramel. Oh well, that's still more than 3 times the amount of Sadhu I got last time.

As I said, this harvest is MORE than I need, so I shouldn't be complaining. But I'm still a little disappointed that I couldn't even hit one oz. per plant. Nothing went wrong, no problems, and this is the result. So I guess I'd better accept it, this is the best I can do with my current setup and skills.

Please stay tuned for the official smoke report.

9. dowork123

dowork123 Delaying gratification!

I forgot who mentioned they could have gone longer but I pick when you do Tony. I like to pick when almost all my heads are cloudy and a few are turning amber.

Well done my man seems like you got this set up and harvested quick :)

10. Tony Aroma

Final Report

For many years I grew random bag seed that I got from friends. This is only my fifth grow with purchased seeds. With bagseed, most was adequate, and occasionally I got something I considered excellent. However, since I started growing strains with names, the results have been consistently excellent. I have yet to be disappointed with anything I bought or even any of the freebies I got. They've all been essentially varying degrees of excellent, and this harvest is no exception.

Everything is now in jars, so I'm officially declaring this grow “finished.” Before I get to the smoke report, I will briefly summarize the grow from seed to jar.

Plants were grown in a double-wide wardrobe under a single 400-watt bulb. I used a Metal Ace MH bulb for veg, and a Hortilux HPS for flower. The soil was a typical organic mixture in 3-gallon grow bags. I used General Organics liquid ferts for the first time, and I fed them all pretty heavily throughout. All seeds were germinated in paper towels, then put into unamended soil in 16-oz cups, and finally transplanted into the bags at 13 days.

I started with the following seeds:

3 Mandala Sadhu

2 Reserva Privada Kandy Kush (fem)

1 Sweet Seeds Cream Caramel (fem)

1 Dinafem Critical Jack freebie (fem)

All germinated and sprouted. One of the three Sadhu turned out to be a male, so I ended up with 6 plants. They vegged for 41 days at about 17/7 before flipping to 12/12. About a week later I installed the SCROG screen, which eventually filled in very nicely. All grew VERY WELL during veg, and were all very healthy and very bushy when they were flipped. At harvest, they were all mostly cloudy and just starting to show some amber trichomes. I cured in ziplock bags for about 2.5 weeks, then into jars for a bit more extra-slow curing. Even after all this time (about 5 weeks), the flavors in some are just starting to come out.

Their harvest times and yields were:

Kandy Kush 1 (61 days): 23.7 g

Kandy Kush 2 (61 days): 24.7 g

Cream Caramel (62 days): 22.3 g

Critical Jack (62 days): 27.2 g

Sadhu 1 (63 days): 28.0 g

Sadhu 2 (63 days): 22.5 g

Total 148.4 g, or 5.23 oz

Generally speaking, although this was my best yield ever, I was still a bit disappointed in the quantity. I made no mistakes and didn't screw anything up. My setup is a optimized as I can get it. Yet I still didn't quite make one oz. per plant. Not that I need that much, but it's the principle of the thing. As it is, I have way more than I need to hold me till the next harvest. So I'm not complaining.

Now let's get to the most important part of this report: the smoke (report). As always, please keep in mind that I really suck at describing flavors and aromas. I guess I just don't have a very discriminating palette.

Sadhu remains one of my favorite all-around smokes. It's reasonably potent, with a nice hybrid-type buzz. It has a moderate body effect, but leaves me quite awake and alert at the same time. Kind of like the best of both worlds. That's with just two or three hits. The more I smoke, the more couch-locky it gets. The flavor this time turned out very mild, only a hint of the creamy/spicy flavor from previous batches. Probably because I just can't seem to do consistently good cures.

Cream Caramel is one I was really looking forward to. As I said, I fed them pretty heavily, and the CC was the only one that didn't particularly like it; during flower it showed signs of a minor nute burn. Of the group, it is probably the most potent, at least with respect to its body buzz. But it's still not the kind that knocks you out. It's basically like a slightly more potent version of Sadhu, which is a good thing. Flavor wise, it has a bit of a sweet, candy taste, but it's very subtle. A better cure would probably bring out the flavor more.

Critical Jack was the surprise of the group. It was a freebie, and I wasn't expecting too much. It grew very vigorously and was the biggest, branchiest plant in the cabinet. It has a bit of a sweet flavor like the CC and KK, maybe a bit fruity. Buzz-wise, I think it's my new favorite sativa. I like it for a daytime smoke even more than Mandala #1 or Beyond the Brain, the two other sativa-dominant strains I've grown. It's a great daytime smoke, making me feel alert and energized. And it doesn't leave me feeling all groggy and burned out later.

Finally, the Kandy Kush, another strain that I was very excited about. I harvested it at 9 weeks, which is what I was anticipating, when the trichomes were just starting to turn amber. Interestingly, the hairs were mostly still white, and they remained white even after drying. But after doing a little research, I see that some people let this strain go 10-12 weeks or even longer. So, after harvest I started second guessing myself, wondering if I'd jumped the gun. I most definitely DID NOT. I LOVE the Kandy Kush! I like it for the same reason I like the Sadhu, it's a nice mix of head and body. A few hits is great for a day time buzz, and a few more makes for a great evening. It has a nice taste too, very sweet, much like a more flavorful version of the CC. I've been debating if, when I grow it again, I should let it go longer. But then I keep thinking, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

In conclusion, I am VERY PLEASED with the quality of this harvest, and mildly disappointed with the quantity. Still, it's more than enough and the best I can do. I still have more seeds of all but the Critical Jack, and I will definitely grow these strains again. My conclusion - it's all good.

In general, I'm liking the couch lock effect less and less and the more mixed, hybrid, head/body buzzes more and more. And I think Critical Jack is now my favorite daytime strain. Don't get me wrong, I still like, and will grow again, strains like God Bud and Point of No Return. But I'm especially looking forward to my next grow when I'll be trying C99 and Power Plant. Which will be starting very soon. So thanks for dropping by, and please stay tuned for my next adventure. Namaste and Happy New Year!

[​IMG]

Cream Caramel

[​IMG]

Critical Jack

[​IMG]

Sadhu

[​IMG]

Kandy Kush

11. link420

link420 Smokin' Fat Sticky Buds

Nice buds and great smoke report :coool:

On your next grow, what breeder is the C99 gona be from?

12. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

Thanks for following up with a smoke report Tony. I'll be looking forward for the next show:passsit:

Cheers

Duc

13. Tony Aroma

Thanks.

The C99 is Female Seeds' X-Line Hybrid. I picked it based on reports I read here. I didn't realize at first it was not a pure C99. Should be interesting.

Here's the C99 info.

14. link420

link420 Smokin' Fat Sticky Buds

I doubt there are any "real" C99s around anymore, so no surprise there. But their hybrid seems to be anything but pure C99, what bothers me is this part of the description:

"Seeds come from 10 different parents, so there will be some variation."

Female Seeds should call the strain the "C99 Mix". I was just looking at their other strains and Female Seeds also have a regular C99. Either way, I'm sure you're gonna get some bomb ass plants. From my experience, anything with C99 in it, hybrid or not, turns out great.

15. Stinky Green

Stinky Green Germinating

Congrats and great report Tony! C99 is on my wish list as well ... I look forward to watching your next grow!

16. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Nice report Tony, and congrates again on the harvest buddy. :bravo:

17. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

Great smoke reports tony and sweet buds. That Kandy looks very cool.

18. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

:good job::bravo:

Now do it again! :passsit: