Trichome clear-cloudy-amber time-frame

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by thinktank, Oct 22, 2008.

1. thinktank

thinktank Coco grower, hash sifter

I haven't been able to find rough averages of how long it takes clear trichomes to become cloudy and cloudy ones to turn amber. Also, what is the quickest you have seen them change? What's the longest? Thanks.

"The Master" likes this.
  2. thinktank

pictures make every thread better

[​IMG]

This plant seems to be finishing ahead of schedule. It is taking up less water, lost most of its fan leaves, started getting a nice crystal coating and, the past few days, the calyxes really started swelling. Under magnification I can see most of the trics are still clear with a few cloudy ones. It is supposed to flower for another six weeks, but I just don't think it is going to happen. Any guesses how long to a good amber/cloudy mix? I'd like to flush with plain water at least a week before I chop, which is why I'm asking.

3. talltrees

talltrees A Fat Sticky Bud

it looks ready get one of those 50x microscopes from radioshack

4. HeadCase

HeadCase Old Prick

It looks like you got spider mites I see a web on that bud-Bud

5. thinktank

talltrees- I have a 60x-100x pocket scope. That's how I know they are still mostly clear.

Sombud- I saw the web too. That is actually from brushing some webs on the basement ceiling when I pulled her out for the photo. Good eyes.

Still, I don't understand why no one can (or will) at least share what their experience has been?

Is there a large variation between plants?

Do they change faster on Indicas or Sativas?

Do they change uniformly on the plant or will they progressively turn from the bottom up or the top down?

That would be good to know. For curiosities sake at least.

I guess it is not that big of a deal.

I'll just keep checking them and update this thread myself for search purposes if no one chimes in. It is pretty cool I can find out for myself. I've vaping a sample bud right now and it is a bit of a creeper, not as racey as I thought a Thai Haze would be.

What I will probably do is harvest in stages to get a better sense of what I am looking for. I've got two more of the same strain finishing in a month, so this is actually a pretty cool opportunity.

Peace.

6. Useless

Useless Diogenes Reincarnate

General rule of thumb is 2 week harvest window.

Thats about how long it takes in most hybrid strains to go ripen to peak THC.

When most of your trichomes are clear some cloudy, thats the start of your window. Within the 2 weeks, most will turn cloudy, with some turning amber.

Clear - not ready yet

Cloudy - Peak THC content

Amber - THC degrading into CBD/CBG

That said, some strains wil take up to 4 weeks to ripen properly. These are mostly sativa and sativa dominant genetics however.

7. SoloFlyer1

SoloFlyer1 Keep Smyelin

On the right track

I only have thoughts to add...beware!

LMAO

I suspect harvesting times advertised are based on ideal conditions throughout the plant's life. That's point #1

You, as the 'op', are in the best position to make that judgment. It sounds like you're on top of it! You are so right about this being an opportunity; next time with the same strain you'll feel more confident about the chop time as you will have grown it already, in YOUR space, in YOUR way.

:5masked:

LOL, all that to say keep doin what yer doin! Lookin good!

There ya go, a post about nothing!

:icon_confused:

Oh! And...Happy Harvests!

:qbluewacko:

8. thinktank

Thanks Useless. This is actually the Thai Haze skunk cross you helped save from the brink of Nitrogen toxicity and massive lock out. It is listed as a 90 day strain. Most have it grow 120. I'm at day 50. Do you think hitting it with Bushmaster to control height could have sped up the flowering time because less energy went into vegetative growth? Whatever it was I am not complaining.

:smokin:

9. thinktank

Thanks for the good vibes Soloflyer1!

10. AverageJoe

AverageJoe papa oom mow mow

You said in your original post that

What are you basing this on?
    Most strains flower cycle is around 8-9 weeks. If you still have 6 to go then you are still very early in flower and have a ways to go.

Lookin' good though :thumbsup:

edit: I typed this response at the same time the strain details were being posted. I type slow :fu:

11. thinktank

Here is the write up from Seed Boutique

There are a number of grow journals on IC mag that have this routinely going 16 weeks. Yet, the plant is finishing. Its weird.

SoloFlyer1 likes this.
  12. SoloFlyer1

SoloFlyer1 Keep Smyelin

~And then...

...There's the possibility that what you got is not what you ordered!

LMAO...handling error, etc....

'Cause yeah, that bud looks to me to be within a week or two of being ready?

Then again, I'm dog paddling, not swimming!

:icon_confused:

:qbluewacko:

13. AverageJoe

AverageJoe papa oom mow mow

Those details were mentioned while I was replying. Didn't know that before I posted. Most strains I have ever looked into state 7-9 week flower time. Thai Haze says 12 weeks.

I was just asking

14. Useless

Useless Diogenes Reincarnate

OK now that I know the strain, I have to ask at what week of 12/12 did they start to flower and what week did you add the bushmaster.

Yes, the bushmaster stops vertical growth. It also focuses the plant energy into flower formation. Normally on an 8 week strain, it can reduce flower times, but only by a few days.

The THaze x Skunk normally take a long time to show flower formation. That is typically why they take a long time to flower. The actual flower time from the start of flower formation is usally 11-12 weeks (thank the skunk for this). It takes 4 weeks plus to show flowers (blame my beloved sativa for this). Since you used bushmaster, base your guesstimated flower time on when they started to flower.

Also, if the thaze is the dominent genotype then you really want to harvest when most of the trichomes are cloudy.

15. "The Master"

"The Master" Time Lord

:smokin: Without knowing the intricates?

If it looks like something YOU'D smoke, or pay primo to smoke?

its prolly worth the hassle.

Of course you can perfect your strains deal, but the bottom line from the ghetto, grow and perfect and grow that shit.

All of the other will sort itself out if you keep the cycle, YOU will know all.

Congrats on such good work.

Lucky bastard

I love your avvy dude, speaks to me.

16. Ettna

Ettna New Sprout

mmm looks tasty

17. LowRydr

LowRydr Veggy Stage

something like this:

week 1 (of flowering)

week 2 clear

week 3 clear

week 4 10% cloudy

week 5 30% cloudy

week 6 50% cloudy

week 7 90% cloudy

week 8 10% amber

week 9 30% amber

based on outdoor grow. ballpark % figures. varies a bit from strain to strain. i normally harvest end of week 8, early week 9.

18. Jake

Jake A Fat Sticky Bud

If you got a haze mix you can count on 10 weeks minimum and on up to 12-14. I love the Haze and Haze crosses but I've never had one finish under 12 weeks flowering. That's just the way it is. You'll enjoy the weed though!

I think why you "believe" it's going to be ready early is the problems you had with N deficiency. It's withering early because of that IMO. Don't harvest early! If you harvest too early you're going to get what my friends and I call knockout weed. A couple times I got jammed up for space and had to yank a couple plants way too early to make room for the others. Didn't want to throw the buds in the trash so dried em out to see what happened. I don't know what the chemical reason is but if you smoke it you dam near drop on the spot. No real high but more like taking a f'ing tranquilizer. Keep some by the bedside for those nights you're tossing and turning. It's better than Nyquil.

Seriously be patient. The wait will be worth it.

Lowrydr that's a nice guess at trich maturity but it doesn't apply to a Haze strain. There's no Haze strain that'll ever be showing amber at week 8. Just not in the cards. Haze take a l o n g , l o n g , time to mature.

19. LowRydr

LowRydr Veggy Stage

sure, i said it varies and will obviously vary for the long flower types. most fall within the typical 8-9 week flower range. the strains i have grown (white widow, master kush, northern lights, big bud, big bud x northern lights, bubblegum) have all been generally like what i posted.

that makes a good argument against a haze strain. i don't need a longer flowering plant. longer flowering = longer risk. thanks for the info!

20. Jake

Jake A Fat Sticky Bud

No kidding. I give up on the Haze's. It's some excellent weed and I'm not putting it down at all. It's just that it takes so freakin long. I can grow 3 crops of most anything else compared to 2 of the Haze. When I finally gave up and grew out my mom plant it was a couple days short of 14 weeks before I cut her down. But it sure was some kick ass ganja. It's got a high all to it's own.