trim for hash dry vs fresh

Discussion in 'Hash and Oil' started by nippie, Feb 26, 2014.

1. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

Does it matter?

I've made it both ways, have a shitload of fresh frozen trim (never dried it just threw it in the freezer).

I was planning on making some of Duc's hybrid hash, but got me thinking, is there a proper way? Cause I can totally vouch both ways work because I've done it....but is there a correct way and why?

And duc, did you dry on glass or cardboard? How wet was that when you cubed it?

2. Grown in Tx.

Grown in Tx. Locked and Loaded

I've always heard and done it dry, frozen but dry. I love that shit

thought it had to do with taste.

3. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

I've never had success making hash with wet trim, frozen or otherwise, so I always assumed it had to be dry.

4. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Don't know if there's a reason....but.... When running ISO I get the best results using dry, kinda cured, bud and trim that's then frozen. Haven't noticed any difference between relatively fresh or aged material running BHO.

In the back of my mind when hashing with liquids there's always the thought of chlorphyll and green pigments being polar and H2O and ISO being polar solvents. The more I can do to lessen the impact of this the better. Methinks low temps (freezing and ice) and aged material, after the chlorophyll breaks down, helps in this area.

Just my experience and your mileage may vary. Gotta say that most of my stuff is run dry and aged no matter what method. After trimming and moving a harvest the last thing I want to think about is hashing the leftovers. So they usually sit around and accumulate in paper grocery sacks while I overcome the inertia of procrastination.

:passit:

5. nippie

Problem is that I threw about 4 gallon bags in the freezer trying to clean up quickly and now kinda screwed on drying it out. I guess I can lay it out on paper for a few days but was trying to do a quick and easy run.

6. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

Nip, I've always used dry trim or cured bud to make bubble but they're a ton of videos on Youtube where people recommend using wet, to each his own I guess.

Nip I pretty much cube it up or press it right away or at least within an hour or so of running the bags. After I squeeze out most of the moisture using the 25 micron napkin I set the chunks of hash on a towel to dry while clean out the bags & tidy up a bit which usually takes me about a hour. Once I press my hash I wrap it up in shop towel (the blue paper ones that come in a box) & let it sit for a few days to dry.

7. ducrider

If it were me I'd just toss what you have in a bucket with some dry ice & run what ya brung. I don't think I'd try thawing out and drying for fear of it just becoming a mushy mess of shit, either that or mold....

8. nippie

if I don't wait for all the ice to melt...nothing will happen but smoke right? it's just the co2 returning to gas, it's not going to hurt the hash at all will it?

9. nippie

Ok, adding water was a bad idea.

By the time I set up my bags the dry ice had frozen the water solid. So now I have a 5 gallon bucket about 1/3 way up frozen

:roffl: sounded like a good idea at the time

10. nippie

Ok....another quick update before my wife kills me.

So I add a little hot water to melt the chunk and jumped in the shower to wait for it to melt....hear a loud pop like a gun shot....Hash is all over my kitchen

:rofl6:

if you guys dont hear from me, it's because my wife beat me to death when she gets home

edit....she just walked in and screamed 'what the fuck did you do?':roffl: so I add a little more water and she is still screaming 'if that explodes again you are cut the fuck off:roffl: you hear me, no pussy:roffl:

But it starting to melt.... 10 lbs of dry ice may have a bit to much

11. ducrider

um yeah.... dude don't mix the dry ice with the water, it'll freeze.

12. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

Just getting to this.....I go by what Useless put up in his tutorial for making bubble hash...I freeze my sugar leaves and bud fresh. I thought it sounded right as everything is fresh and the trichs will seperate from the leaves without getting dry leafy matter in the mix. Doing it with dry ice I would think that frozen fresh would still be better at leaving leaf matter behind. ISO never worked out well for me so I'll just leave that one alone.

13. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Really?:roffl: You created a CO2 bomb. Seen those videos where a kid puts a chunk of dry ice in bottle, caps it, then waits for it to explode? That's what water does when it freezes a pocket around a chunk of dry ice. Only yours had ice shards for shrapnel!:5eek:

Betting Nip had another bomb go off.

14. friendlyfarmer

shit did you say 10 pounds of dry ice?

:eusa_eh:

15. Grown in Tx.

Grown in Tx. Locked and Loaded

making mental notes:bong-2:

16. nippie

dry ice bomb is an understatement....

but i will have some bomb hash when its over......rooke mistake but yeah 10lbs way way to much. but everything die seperate nicely and the material looked great....its the whole running through bags that killling me :roffl:

Super stoned....damn I glad I grow dank weeed

17. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

This is why it pays for me to read these threads, I would have probably ended up doing the same thing. :smokin: I get high while doing shit and something always happens.

Thanks Nippie for saving me from having to clean out my pants in the future... :not-worthy: :roffl:

18. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

I tried some fresher stuff a couple days ago and wasn't real happy with the amount I got. The dry stuff at least a month old seems to work better. There may have been some other factors I wasn't aware of but the yield was disappointing. But after reading these last few posts I do know what I 'won't' do.

Be Cool, CG

19. friendlyfarmer

20. nippie

I'm alive

[​IMG]

Got some bomb hash though...

Wife wasn't happy, literally green material on the ceiling, I thought I got the walls and floor cleaned up....how I didn't notice the green peppering spots on the ceiling :roffl:

everything is drying, very good run.

Fresh vs dry...don't think it maters, the shit freeze dried almost instantly. Pellets worked great until I realized how many there truly were.

Next time I may just wait overnight to let the ice melt off instead of adding water. I fucked with dry ice before and water usually just boils the ice away. I think it just was too much ice and not enough water, flash froze then the hot water got a piece of dry ice on the bottom and basic science tells you that gas has to go somewhere.

Funny shit though...it was worth it :roffl: