Using a coffee grinder?

Discussion in 'The 'Kind Kitchen' started by OldTroll, Mar 12, 2009.

1. OldTroll

OldTroll Germinated

My wife brought home a really nice B&D coffee grinder for me to use for making cannabutter. The texture is variable from a course grind (percolator) to a very fine espresso grind. Since most buds are far larger than a coffee bean I need to run the bud through a SharpStone grinder first.

I wonder how much THC or high is lost by grinding? I don't mean the amount that is stuck to the inside of the grinder .... it took about 0.3g out of my first grind.

Does the fineness of the grind in the coffee maker make any difference in the strength of the high?

In most things I’m a strong advocate of experimentation …. try, observe, take notes, make changes, try, observe, etc. …. but evaluating the quality or strength of a high is beyond my capabilities. Later on my notes look like, “wow, I’m baked!” or “help, I’m stuck to the couch!” or “what was the question?”

Has anybody with a science background make actual measurements on this? Or has somebody with good observational skills done any experimenting with grinding?

BTW, I’ve been doing a mixture of butter and peanut butter …. it’s great spread on a couple of graham crackers with a little vitamin D milk. Using the finest setting on the grinder I do NOT strain out the material after heating …. I just stir as the mixture cools and solidifies so that the herb is evenly distributed.

2. HappyHappyHighGuy

HappyHappyHighGuy dreamer and misfit

It just needs to be chopped up well. This can be done by tapping on the button once or twice. Cannabutter cooks for a long time so grinding it into a fine powder will only make it taste worse and won't increase potency.

3. nappyhawk

nappyhawk New Sprout

oldtroll, that butter/peanutbutter sounds yummy. I'm just curious about the cooking of the mix you're using. When I've made butter the usual way in a pot with water on the stove simmering it for hours I always strained out the solids. Then in the fridge to solidify the butter and taking that off the top of the leftover water. Then do you add the peanutbutter to that butter? or are you somehow cooking the peanut butter with the butter and fine grind? i cant wait for thanksgiving when the outdoor is done

4. OldTroll

OldTroll Germinated

On my grinder the duration of the button press determines how much of the material will be ground. There is a knob vary the coarseness of the grind.

Using the very fine grind there is no detectable plant material when the cannaPBbutter is eaten on graham crackers …. and I like the taste. For taste and consistency I much prefer the taste and consistency of the very fine grind …. however I’d go with a more coarse grind up to the point that the taste or consistency becomes mildly objectionable if it would increase potency.

My concern is that any grinding will reduce potency, and finer grinding might cause increased reduction.

Maybe somebody that remembers Organic Chem. 101 can tell us whether or not fine vs. coarse grinding should be a concern.

nappyhawk - -

Here’s how I’ve been doing it: 3 parts creamy peanut butter and 1 part real butter. Enough freshly fine ground good quality bud to have about 0.3g per dose. That’s about as much as a bowl on my favorite antique steamroller.

Put the PB in a Pyrex bowl and heat in the microwave until it just barely melts …. 10-15 second blasts. Add the butter and repeat until it melts. heat and stir until thoroughly mixed. Stir in the ground bud until thoroughly blended.

At this point use whatever temp and duration that you prefer, remembering to check frequently. At this point I’m just beginning to experiment with the time/temp. When cooking with added water, the water keeps the temp of the butter and the cannabis from exceeding 212°F. A thermometer and some care will do the same thing, and save the extra step and the associated mess.

After removing from the oven allow to cool until the bowl can be handled and then set the bowl in a large dish that has some cool water in it …. gradually add ice cubes to the water to bring the temp down to where the cannaPBbutter starts to thicken. Stir to keep the ground bud evenly distributed as it solidifies. Store in fridge.

As with brownies, eat on an empty stomach with some vitamin D milk for the fat …. even if you usually drink skim milk like me.

100 calories per Tbl of butter and 95 for peanut butter. Get the munchies and suffer the consequences.

5. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

Honestly I would grind it up I would just break it up losely(break apart the bigger buds into smaller chunks) and then make some hash then throw the hash in the butter. Either make some QWISO or BHO and just add that to butter and if you dont want to add it all you got some good hash to blaze up.

6. fifey

fifey New Sprout

MMMMMMMM..that peanut butter and crackers sounds awesome...I am gonna have to try that soon