Ventilation options

Discussion in 'DIY' started by HappyJay, Sep 12, 2008.

1. HappyJay

HappyJay Red Eyed Jedi

Well, the last week or so has seen the new veg cab finished and finishing touches on the designs & equiptment sorted for the flower cab. All has been motoring along rather well untill I started looking at fan prices etc then realised how much more air the centrifugal varieties shift. So me being me, I decided to order one anyways, (the 200mm CanFan, 350ltrs/sec).

My questions and descussion really is this?

How noisy are these fans, and how efficient?

I have a couple of the inline 150mm fans (about 4mtrs cubed/min) and was originally going to use these, however after a little reading here on GK I noticed some peeps were trying with diff types of varieties of these with mixed results..
    Does anyone have any experience with these pushing/ pulling through a scrubber as Id still like to use them on a cab I'm building for a good friend?
    Does it make any difference where the scrubber is suited, whether air pushes/pulls through them?
    How long do the scrubbers last or how long are they effective before they need changing or new carbon?

I ordered a 250mm by 600mm long carbon scrubber (bigair odorless) aswell and pretty well gathered that Ill just pull it down and refill myself. I was pretty keen on making a couple but the lazy bug bit me and I decided it be easy to mimmick another one to my own dimensions if need be.
    Would this be suffice for a 1200wide 1000deep 1800high cab?
    Has anyone used the carbon sock filters that go around the scrubbers aswell?
    They seem like a quick alternative and talking with the local hydro guy, he had replies from customers that seemed pretty good and that they could actually be washed a couple times and re-used to some degree. This is however from a guy trying to sell stuff so was just a thaught.

2. Zeppelin

Zeppelin In The Hills And Far Away

Don't think this will help any but I am using a 6"vortex inline fan with a CAN33 filter....It sounds like a jet plane but I don't care It's not in my house AS far as Movement it works great I actually got in my cabnit and shut the door just to feel the circulation... I was very impressed

3. skunkrnaught

skunkrnaught Flying magic hemp carpet

4. HappyJay

HappyJay Red Eyed Jedi

Cheers for the link Skunkr, I must have something going on with my search engine as it will barely bring anything up with my searches here at home, however when I use my friends puter, type in the same search, a whole lot more comes up.

Great site,lots more ideas now though, I like the look of a few of there fittings aswell.

5. Green Goblin

Green Goblin Cannabis Connoisseur

you can always put a speed control on it, like a dimmer witch, well depending on the motor type, but most of those centrifugals will work with an ordinary light dimmer. just be sure to get the type with adjustable upper and lower limits, otherwise its a pain in the ass to get it set right.

Happy Growin' :pimp:

6. marymaryquitecntrary

marymaryquitecntrary Smokin' Fat Sticky Buds

so where can you find a dimmer witch, GG? :icon_confused:

7. HappyJay

HappyJay Red Eyed Jedi

Good thaught there GG. Great minds think alike they say as I told the guy in the hydro shop I ordered from to hold on to some fan controll gear he had there. Was second hand but looks brand new, controlls two fans if need be, has fan speed and temp controlls for $100. I guess I will just wait for the gear to show up and see where we go from there. Still got about a year of renting where I need these cabinates then when I buy a place I''l just build a good, small room so anything to everkill in the box will do fine in the room. Looking forward though to experimenting with new air flows etc as have never had to deal with the noise factor or smell too much before. Also looking forward to trialing these carbon filters and may even build a muffler yet.

Other big thing comming soon is I might have to start looking into is CO2., Its getting hot here real quick. Have got the cab running .2 of a degree warmer than the room temp so pretty happy there. Ventilated daytime bedroom temps starting to hit the 80's alone so lights are running at night but aircon will soon be needed.

8. skunkrnaught

skunkrnaught Flying magic hemp carpet

Fans

Jay

I'm 5" enclosure fans (extra large PC fan). I got them from radio shack for $20each I'm thinking of upgrading.

9. HappyJay

HappyJay Red Eyed Jedi

Ok. Not quite a solution but a rather handy little sight. My hydro guy gave me a couple wholesale sites to look at. Sort of like an online catalogue of what he can get in, so all I have to do is look what I want and ask him.

As I was reading through the details of different fan cappacities I found a couple very helpfull andhandy bits of info.

If you have a look at the website, at all the www's.hollandforge.com and look through there products you'll find,

- there fan lists provide great details on fan capacities and wattages

-in their carbon filter section, they provide a good description of their filters and how to select the one for you, (can brand mainly). It also gives a great run down on HOW TO EVALUATE THE TRUE AIRFLOW OF A ROOM, GIVEN DUCTING, ROOM SPACE, FLITER, INITIAL FAN FLOW and TIME TO EXCHANGE.

10. Green Goblin

could u post a link to the equipment sizing rundown...i looked n didnt see it

11. HappyJay

HappyJay Red Eyed Jedi

Im not too sure I remember how GG but here goes.

The True flow calculation thing is at the bottom of this page, it is a pdf you can open or save. I ran my numbers last night and will be running mega flow so am real happy.

http://www.hollandforge.com.au/index1.html

If that doesn't take you there, then go to the carbon filters tab on the left of screen and scroll down through the options to "choosing a can-fill carbon filter.

Once on this page you will see the tab at the bottom that says 'calculation worksheet.pdf.

Everything was quite simple to follow and all the fan values, (well basic ones for the sizes and brands they sell) are found by looking in 'environment controlls' on the left, then select fans.

Was a good eye opener and seemed like a sensible little tool.

12. Green Goblin

just be sure to factor in for the losses in ducting, theres a little note on the right...thanx for the info, excellent resource. keep in mind that theres nothing on there bout restrictions going through hoods or intake/exhaust terminations so u want a high number if u dont have a manometer. u should get one if ur a tinkerer, grainger has a dual input pocket sized digital unit for like 80 bux. they're useful little buggers when u have one.

Happy Growin' :pimp:

13. HappyJay

HappyJay Red Eyed Jedi

Never thaught of that GG, would be able to chase the cyclones around too then hey!! LOL

All good, crunched the numbers with a 60% loss (given one bend in duct, not even a meter of duct, no inlet fan and scrubber), and managed to find one that will have the cab vented every 20 to 30 seconds, sweet.

14. SteelCity Smoker

SteelCity Smoker To Be Continued

i'm not much with calculators or anything but if you click My Garden link i give a run down of what i use in my cab. I saw questions in this thread that weren't really answered like where to get dimmers? you can use lutron dimmers up to 600w which most fans don't consume that much power they are available at any home improvement store. Also do you need to draw through the carbon scrubber or exhaust through it? answer you need to draw through it. I have a can filter on one side of my vented hood and the sunleaves 4" connected to the other and it keeps the bulb cool and filters the air at the same time. As far as noise i recommend the sunleaves due to it being made completely of plastic. The mechanical noise is nil but you are still moving alot of air so it is audible outside the cab. I have neighbors that live below me and they have never asked what that noise was so it must not be that noticable... DSP