Weed and The Heart

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana' started by ClayStreet, Sep 30, 2004.

1. ClayStreet

ClayStreet Gypsy

I've been having problems with high blood pressure lately.. I know a lot of it stems from stress and poor diet.. but often times when I smoke I feel the blood pumping faster and it freaks me out..

I just wonder if weed helps, or hinders, or does nothing .. I'm in the midst of changing my lifestyle and habits.. It'd suck to die now..

2. elcajon555

elcajon555 A Fat Sticky Bud

I am not exactly sure, however I have a prolapse valve in my heart and when I smoke often I can feel it more not working, as in a get a sharp pain in my chest because the blood is flowing backwards. This might have to do with the smoke or the weed. The only time I felt my heart pumping really fast was when I had a special cookie, that was the highest I ever was, it freak me out, I was almost sick to my stomach and it felt like my heart was going to beat out of my chest, at least that is the best way I can describe it.

3. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

I'm no doctor but everytime I go to see one I have to get blitzed in order to deal with the 'waiting room' and long boring office visit. They always tell me my blood pressure is low too. Not sure if that is the smoke or just the fact that I don't stress on things. Maybe a bit of both. Might try meditation Clay....it's proven to reduce stress which can only help in the long run.

4. ClayStreet

ClayStreet Gypsy

Meditation.. something I should have learned when I was in California.. ;) I'll look into it.. I've got the Nag and the quiet setting to try it..

the last couple times I had my pressure checked I was in the hypertension range.

I'm sure the doc will just give me more pills.. ugh..

thx El Cajon for your input as well. I often get extreme sweats and rapid heart beats when I get seriously stoned.. Too bad it's so fun that I want to do it again.. hehehe

5. Mrs B

Mrs B Guest

I know it makes your heart beat faster, and if you get anxiety, that could make it worse, but it also lowers your blood pressure. I think it would not be a good idea for someone who already has heart problems since it would increase the load on the heart, but otherwise I don't think it's anything to worry about. Listen to some relaxing music and chill out.

6. Budweiser 3

Budweiser 3 Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Yes clay it does raise yer pressure momenterally..fer maybe the first 10 min er so then it eases off...where as cigg's raise it and keep it there threwout the whole smoke:crap:and then some:eyes:...soo its not just you ite:wink:i think you can thank yer employer fer the high blood pressure the "FUCKING PRICKS"...woooohhhh i just raised my pressure:lmao:but seriously man yer job IS most of it:wink: Bud3

(Edited by Budweiser 3 at 7:10 am on Oct. 2, 2004)

7. ClayStreet

ClayStreet Gypsy

Mrs B!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how the hell are ya?

thx for the input peeps..

and Bud.. work is about to get hellafied worse.. :puke:

I'll tell ya about it later..

8. llIndigoll

llIndigoll Medical Grower

Try varying the amount you smoke.

Ever tried T'ai Chi Chuan?

9. greenconan

greenconan Veggy Stage

low blood pressure is a good thing right?

I mean, not to the extreme ... but , generally speaking the lower the better, right? .....

and if that is true ... isn't that justification enough to use cannabis medicinally ?

hehehe just a thought;

GC

10. elcajon555

elcajon555 A Fat Sticky Bud

maybe try a vaporizer

11. BCBigBud

BCBigBud Guest

I have chronic anxiety and severe pain most of the time from an accident, i find the bud works good for my anxiety, and my blood pressure is always normal, and have a heart as strong as a horse i'm told. One time i smokes some good bud while hung-over and had to go to hospital, heart beat went to 185 per min, scared the chit outta me, never did smoke again hung over, but now i don't drink, just smoke the bud for pain relief, thinking on starting my own little op in my closet, use to have to 32 plant tables with 4 1000 watt lamps, got 5lbs out of that one in 12 weeks.

12. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

News from NORML... Thu, 21 Oct 2004

Body's Own Cannabis System May Combat High Blood Pressure

Bethesda, MD: Endocannabinoids (naturally occurring chemicals in the body that mimic marijuana's cannabinoids) play a role in cardiovascular regulation in hypertension, and may offer "novel therapeutic strategies"in the treatment of high blood pressure, according to clinical findings published this month in the journal Circulation.

Researchers from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) found that "endocannabinoids tonically suppress cardiac contractility in hypertension and ... can normalize blood pressure" in animals. Previous research conducted in Britain on the endogenous cannabinoid anandamide found that it relaxed blood vessels, which can reduce blood pressure by allowing blood to flow more freely. "Targeting the endocannabinoid system offers novel therapeutic strategies in the treatment of hypertension," the NIH researchers concluded.

13. Stratocloner

Stratocloner Begun Flowering

I think the idea of using a vaporizor may be valid .

THe lungs and the heart are very closely connected , lol . The increase in Carbon Monoxide and Carbon Dioxide into the system can't help a heart problem . And the coughing and chest spasms from smoke inhalation can induce misbeats and an increase in heart-rate . Neither one good for a hypertensive person .

When you say you are modifying your lifestyle , I assume that's a better diet (oatmeal breakfasts) , exersize , and stopping cigarettes and alchohol abuse (good luck) . As long as you are going all out , stop smoking pot , too . Get a quality vaporizor and get your lungs cleaned up all the way .

I feel soooo much better since I gave up smoking weed .

Not that I think there's anything wrong with it in a healthy adult (other than smoke tastes like sh*t after vaping) .

14. roggae

roggae Developed Alternating Nodes

smoking anything is bad for your cardiovascular system.