What do you guys think about WikiLeaks?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by greenthumbwhitethumb, Nov 28, 2010.

1. greenthumbwhitethumb

greenthumbwhitethumb down w the moral majority

I've read articles about this website, and poked around it a little bit. For those of you who haven't, it's a website for people who have "secure" information and think it needs to be released to the general public.

I'm kinda torn on it - on one hand, I think there's a lot of bullshit that goes on with the govt, military, etc that if the general public knew about it, it might make the offenders knock it off a bit. Typically, the more people know what you're doing, the less sneaky shit you can get away with.

On the other hand, there's something to be said about ignorance is bliss. I know there are things that happen every day that people would freak out about - this country is known for creating a frenzy over something small. The average American is very quick to take a side, before hearing BOTH sides.

Do you think they are doing the right thing by releasing the information they do?

GTWT

:XXhippylove:

2. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

Any information, no matter the subject or who produces it, should never be hidden from the public. Knowledge is, though cliche, power.

3. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Feed me.

4. PharmDoc

PharmDoc Just a NORML guy

I feel it may be taken at face value and spark off a lot of conspiracy theories, but I'd definitely read it. It will definitely be useful to shed light on cover-ups, because no matter how far fetched the allegations may seem, they will be investigated to some degree or another, and maybe some of these cover-ups will be exposed and we can have a better life because of it.

RR, your new avatar is fucking awesome!

5. HeadCase

HeadCase Old Prick

The way I feel is people or government shouldn't do or say anything that they would be ashamed of. So they can release anything but when it cost peoples lives they have went to far. Bud

6. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

It's always best to wait as long as you can before your first wikileak. After you "break the seal", as they say, you end up having to take a wikileak every five minutes.

:alienwink:

7. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

I love wikileaks and was waiting all night to see if it would be released. Agree with Lion.

8. LionLoves420

Not nukes, but long range missiles that Iran is using as a blueprint to build their own.

9. greenthumbwhitethumb

you know, regarding nuclear weapons in the hands of foreign idiots - we've long, as a country, kicked the door in and taken the keys away from other countries, or at least threatened to. one of the latest Wiki releases was regarding the "allied" middle eastern countries pushing the US to squelch the nuclear arms goings-on in Iran.

For decades, we have had problems with 'troublesome' countries and their threats, and many Americans, including myself, think that "firing a warning shot" across someone's nose may put everyone else in check.

With that in mind, I say let Iran make nuclear weapons. They are years behind us in technology, and if they do build, and they do launch at the US, our counterattack will pulverize them. A world lesson to be learned if you will. I have enough confidence in our own military and defenses that I personally believe that any attack on the US would result in minimal damage, and one powerful, pissed off country.

Sometimes you have to resort to beating the shit out of people who don't learn any other way. Huggy buggy hand slaps doesn't always work.

my .02 on the US butting in all the time.....

GTWT

10. LionLoves420

I am not that worried, I think Europe has a better chance of an Iran attack.

Even if they developed the technology to send a missile our way, before it could hit anything we would have blown it up mid flight, and could send a bigger and faster bomb two seconds after they hit the launch button.

I don't like how we use our military, but it is a DAMN good one and barely matched at all in the world technology wise.

Yea, Saudi's king apparently asked the US to blow up Iran's nuclear facilities, but analyst aren't sure if he actually said that or if the diplomat was using strong language to show how pressing an issue this is to the area.

So far nothing major has come out of these documents, just embarrassment for the US and the way it does diplomacy.

The one I found interesting is the US and South Korea planning for the collapse of the North (self caused probably), and how to operate a united Korea.

11. greenthumbwhitethumb

Media is the devil, fo sho :devildance: :devildance: :devildance:

They emphasize what the govt needs support with, and minimize the world issues that would cast the US in a bad light. Just look at the reporting differences from fox news and cnn on the same incident......

GTWT

12. TheFomorian

TheFomorian Neo-Shaman

Apply this to the intelligence community. Real informants with real info have accidents long before anything gets out.

I think Wikileaks is just another psyop, releasing approved information through an outlet with "street cred" in order to sway worldwide public opinion. Give the illusion that secrets are getting out and lead people away from the important stuff. As a bonus you get to find and weed out those in the military, etc. who are willing to release info.

13. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

‎"Remember, Remember, the leaks of December... when the high were brought low by email senders."

"The truth can only set you free when it's free for all to see."

Pro-Wikileaks for years.

14. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

Just for those who know so little yet say so much. I am not insinuating anyone here, but my mom actually, she is a very smart lady and she did not know that Wikileaks is far from just publishing American truths. Just for the record :)

I will be pissed as hell if Julian and Wikileaks goes down. I have been following since 2007 when a video of US soldiers in a helicopter shooting civilians and Journalists and joking and laughing about it. Sick. Whether they knew at the time or not. It was clearly murder, from the video, IMHO.

Go Wikileaks. Wikileaks would be a HUGE loss to our entire world. I have been paying more attention and yeah Herb and everyone is right, we are so fucked. NWO here we come IMO. I told my mom this years ago, she was like "never".

"WikiLeaks is an international new media non-profit organisation that publishes submissions of otherwise unavailable documents from anonymous news sources and news leaks. Its website, launched in 2006, is run by The Sunshine Press.[2] Within a year of its launch, the site claimed a database that had grown to more than 1.2 million documents.[6] The organisation has described itself as having been founded by Chinese dissidents, as well as journalists, mathematicians, and start-up company technologists from the United States, Taiwan, Europe, Australia, and South Africa.[2] Julian Assange, an Australian Internet activist, is generally described as its director.[7]"

[​IMG]

15. AverageJoe

AverageJoe papa oom mow mow

Absolutely!! :thumbs-up:

16. SteelCity Smoker

SteelCity Smoker To Be Continued

LOL Wikileaks is bullshit just so you all know. It's purely speculation none of it is real. The opinions and observations of US Ambassadors means DICK to the gov and military. We watch everyone all the time. Our Intelligence community is more secure than you might think. These "documents" are blips and blurps of emails and "cables" sent from one embassy to another. Do you really think any country has the ability to break our encryption? NO, china has tried for 5 years to break the encryption algorithm we quit using 10 yrs ago to send secure info. Follow the shiny penny... If the gov didn't want these "secrets" released that little DOS attack would have been powered by all our gov has at it's disposal. Which could essentially shut down the country of Sweden as a fucking whole. We would shut the power grid off if need be until we could insert a group of foreign mercs to physically destroy the ISP. But we let it happen and slowly so ppl thought they were getting away with something.. Again follow the shiny penny.

Iran is a good tool they can justify a trillion dollar defense budget as long as they are a threat. The day they stop someone will have to be at the other end of our boomstick. Too much money is funneled out of the gov in black bag programs for them not to exist. Don't fuck with black magic if you fear the consequence. We don't know shit about what is really going on. I just wake up go about my biz pay my taxes and hope to die happy... Steelcity

17. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

The videa wasn't BS of the US soldiers....

18. Midnight Garden

Midnight Garden Excommunicated

Well America or Israel or both of us has already kicked in Iran's proverbial door.

"Iran's nuclear program is still in chaos despite its leaders' adamant claim that they have contained the computer worm that attacked their facilities, cybersecurity experts in the United States and Europe say.

The American and European experts say their security websites, which deal with the computer worm known as Stuxnet, continue to be swamped with traffic from Tehran and other places in the Islamic Republic, an indication that the worm continues to infect the computers at Iran's two nuclear sites."

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/12/09/despite-iranian-claims-stuxnet-worm-causing-nuclear-havoc/

19. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

Julian got bail! Yes. The truth can only set you free when it's free for all to see!!!!!!!!!

20. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior In The Spirit Realm

I think the stories of him raping/sexually assaulting someone are just that: stories.

It doesn't make sense for Interpol and various other agencies around the globe to make such efforts to capture a rapist. Hmm I think there's more to it than that.