what plants give off for heat

Discussion in 'Outdoor Cultivation' started by blah blah boy, May 27, 2010.

1. blah blah boy

blah blah boy Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

I would like to put one out this yr and am wondering about the infer red or whatever they use in the air now a days.
    Everyone tells me that marj fives off some type of heat signature from the air and can be easily detected. How is it detected more than the pine tree it is planted near?
    Is it all a bunch of Bull shit? Or is it the grow lights that they are giving up the location (which means it is an inside op and not an outdoor thing)?

2. greenthumbwhitethumb

greenthumbwhitethumb down w the moral majority

no, it's not bs, plants, when they do their plant thing, give off gas. mj gives off more gas/higher concentration of gas than most plants. something about the light spectrum/frequency?? something like that. that's about all i know, i'd like to learn more, maybe someone will chime in with some good scientific jargon.

they can also detect heat, which typically is from our lights or exhaust - two different technologies, methinks.

i've always been leery of the FLIR flying over and seeing it....

GTWT

:XXhippylove:

3. dooobster

dooobster A Fat Sticky Bud

I've also heard that MJ gives off a unique infrared signature that LEO can spot, not sure of the specifics... I grew one outside in the backyard last year (planted late June / beginning of July so that it wouldn't have a very long veg time before flower started) and although I have to admit I was kinda paranoid about it, I successfully harvested 3 oz of delicious Lemon Larry OG in the middle of October :D

4. blah blah boy

I think I am more paranoid than anything.

I think they are looking for the people that are growing fields of it not for the one or two plant people. I could be wrong but there a lot of people like me.

I can't see the cops/army whoever spending big money for choppers and such to find one plant.

It's good thing to know though.

5. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

It's the lights, not the plants. Unless I am totally mistaken.

When flying overhead the copters look for the lighter green foliage of the mj plants against the darker olive green of the surrounding plants. I do not grow outdoors except legally on my patio, but have watched enough docus to glean that bit of info.

6. psi6923

psi6923 Excommunicated

One of my best friends went into the special intelugance and said its BS. They scan for bombs with the infered. They spot weed by eye. Just spread them out and don't go to them on the same path every time

7. greenthumbwhitethumb

greenthumbwhitethumb down w the moral majority

canna, i think he's talking about the detectors they mount on helis. yeah, they can visually spot mj plants in daytime, but they also scan with different types of detectors. i looked up some stuff this a.m., one type is the FLIR, which is the infared wavelength detector - mj gives off a certain type. the other is a heat type device, where they look at the heat from your house.

here's the latter, i believe it is more recent, for heat detection.

i'm with you, blah blah, i'm paranoid a bit too, but the reality is what you said. the cops aren't going to spend a whole lot of time scanning areas for closet growers like us - they're looking for the big shit. HOWEVER, like someone said on another post, if they incidentally spot something, they will not ignore it. i think if it's a bust issue, it's way more likely to happen from a suspicious neighbor or friend, someone who's near you & your house, not likely the undermanned DEA is going to waste his time on little peeholes like us.

peace

GTWT

:XXhippylove:

8. SirStynkalot

SirStynkalot A Fat Sticky Bud

you are absolutely correct in that marijuana plants themselves have a specific heat signature. I believe it has to do with the metabolic rate of the plant but I'm not sure... I never researched that specific part of it.

this is not a concern unless you are growing multiple plants in the same area, and your risk for getting caught by this sort of aerial search is unlikely unless you are in an area with a large number of outdoor grow ops where they have that specific scanner. getting caught by eye in most areas is much more likely.

I have heard about ONE kind of plant through the grapevine... one of my friends' families grows big outdoors in Hawaii (big island upcountry). marijuana is difficult to spot in the upcountry because of the amount of vegetation, so the cops use that specific scanner and flyovers to search for large outdoor ops. something that they did to mask the heat signature is to surround the one plant with a kind of native, very rapidly growing fern. it would disguise it both aerially (a mat of green), and would disguise the heat signature by heating up the entire area with a plant natural to the area.

there are other types of plants with similar heat signatures as marijuana, but I only know that specific one. I'm way north and grow indoors anyways... this isn't really practical info for me. just a tasty tidbit!

in short... yes. it does give a heat signature. yes, some cops look for that signature. no, it won't matter if you only have one plant (just be careful not to wear a path in the middle of nowhere and whatnot... that IS visible from a chopper.)

hope that helps.

there are two heat monitors. one of them sees heat signatures through walls, and the bulb is what shows up (evenly spaced points of heat) and the other looks at the temperature of air escaping the house. for instance, if your growroom is venting to the attic, then your roof will look hotter than your neighbors. if they point it at an open window and the stream of air coming out is 20 degrees hotter, then they suspect it's exhausting a heat source.

there is a third type of scanner that is military-use only. it's not a secret but not widely known about since it isn't used on civilians (in the US, anyway), but if the cops ever get their hands on it we're all fucked. no amount of infared barriers or concrete can stop it... its like an x ray machine almost as I understand it.

the flyover scanner to find marijuana plants by their own heat signature is different from either of these I believe and very specific to locality.

9. blah blah boy

Thanks guys and gal. :not-worthy:

I'll report back if I try one this yr.

10. SecretGrower420

SecretGrower420 Baked as fuck

They use infrared for indoor OP's to find the heat from the HID's. Outdoors, they look for anything that looks unnatural, such as a pattern of some sort or that specific vibrant green color when mostly everything else is brown, not heat though.