Who here has smoked moldy pot and got sick?

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by JPotter145, Sep 22, 2006.

1. JPotter145

JPotter145 Germinated

Ok seriously like the topic says. I've been looking into this and can find all kinds of opinions everywhere. Some say its fine to smoke, while others say you could get sick as hell and even die. Now the ones who say its fine to smoke, claim to be speaking from personal experience while I'm yet to find anyone actually state that they have gotten sick from smoking moldy weed.

So who has actually gotten sick from smoking moldy weed, what was the prognosis, and how sick were you?

2. Mr.Dope

Mr.Dope Master Grower Of The Kind

Once I put a small peice of lettuce in a bag of weed to keep it moist. I left it in a bit too long. I didnt realize that it was molding. It did smell weird but didnt think nothing of it. Fuck I just wanted to get stoned. It did make me feel sick after a day or two. A little like a cold. More like being alergic to something. I learned my lesson after that.:sign13:

3. THSea

THSea Filthy Floozie

Dude, don't smoke moldy bud. Would you eat moldy bread or any other moldy food? Then why would you want to put that shit in your lungs? Just cut your losses. I know people that have developed sever mold allergies, and it's not pretty what mold can do to you. Why chance it? And it tastes like ass anyway! Not worth it IMO.

4. buddomi

buddomi Banned

5. weedgrl

weedgrl Metalhead

I was out of weed one time when I came across an old bud that was in my dresser drawer. Excitedly I broke off a little chunk of that bud and stuffed my pipe with it. Happily toking away on my newly found herb, I looked down at the little green nugget I found, and what did I see? Tiny white insects falling out of it. I still to this day do not know what they were, but the bud also had white spots on it :new_cussing:

Needless to say, I threw that shit away :eusa_sick: - I didn't get sick though...:thumbsup:

6. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

man i can't lie when i was younger i know i've smoked alot of moldy weed cause just about all the dirt weed crap has it in there since they don't dry/cure it right. ever seen that terquoise colored mold on bud? smoked that and the white fuzzy kind doesn't really affect the taste of that shit it taste pretty bad anyway! but personally none of it makes you sick unless you are allergic, hell that terquoise shit seemed to make you feel more fucked up for some reason, but never made us sick no one died and we smoked about a QP worth before all that crap was gone. Man but that was way back in the day, but just to answer the question from personal experience it DOESN'T MAKE YOU SICK!

7. JPotter145

JPotter145 Germinated

Let me give a little background. Basically, I have this bag of slightly moldy stuff. Only a keen observer would notice - tiny white specs that could easily mistaken for crystals.

Its been completly dry in my area for the past few weeks and now I'm all out of the good stuff. So I haven't smoked in a week and I'm starting to get desperate. I started poking around on the net about moldy stuff and couldn't find anyone to actually say from personal experience that yes they got very ill. Just hearsay comments like below:

I do value all of the members comments on this site, and don't mind hearing your opinions. I have learned so much from this site. But I'm really looking for the reponses of those who have personally gotten ill - not heard or know somebody who did.

I mean, the more I think about it, if it were true (cept the rare allergy case) it would be all over the news and anti-drug campaigns.

And do I eat moldy food? Well, yes (cept meat - never had moldy meat) I usually just cut off the mold and do; thats the way I was raised.

Thanks again in advance.

8. the_clairvoyant89

the_clairvoyant89 Developed Alternating Nodes

:confused: What does moldy weed look like anyway??

9. JPotter145

JPotter145 Germinated

I tried to take a picture of mine, but you can't even see it in the photos. Imagine sugar crystals on some of the leaves, stems and buds. Thats the best way to describe it on mine.

10. THSea

THSea Filthy Floozie

LOL buddomi! no I haven't, but my imagination tells me it would taste pretty foul..

JP, I hear what you're saying...and I'd say most of us here including myself have smoked moldy bud at some point in our lives, without becoming ill. I just know that mold 'can' fuck you up, allergic or not.

But hey, just smoke a bowl and decide for yourself.

11. trillions of atoms

trillions of atoms Latae Sententiae Excommunication

if u do smoke it- vaporise it out of a bong...the more perquliated and ice etc the better... i wouldnt just smoke it outta a pipe or a 1 hitter...the mold can give you repreatory infection.

12. OldHippie

OldHippie Germinated

I have smoked slightly moldy weed, just a hint of the white fuzz, and it didn't make me sick. I have eaten some moldy foods, like cheese and bread where you just cut off the mold, and that hasn't bothered me. Ever had bleu cheese? Know what that blue stuff is? Ever taken penicillin? Eat mushrooms? We all consume funguses or are exposed to them in the environment, and they can trigger some serious allergic reactions, but they aren't inherently dangerous.

13. THSea

THSea Filthy Floozie

Just because you can spout off a bunch of edible molds, doesn't mean that the type(s) of mold that grows on pot is actually safe to ingest. Most molds will emit spores and irritants, which, like you said can trigger allergic reactions, but some emit potentially toxic substances called mycotoxins.

QUOTE " Pitt (1996) defined mycotoxins as "fungal metabolites which when ingested, inhaled or absorbed through the skin cause lowered performance, sickness or death in man or animals, including birds".

There is a continuous need to protect the health of humans and susceptible animals by limiting their exposure to mycotoxins because of their toxicological manifestations which include acute and chronic ones such as cancer, mutagenicity and estrogenic, gastrointestinal, urogenital, vascular, kidney and nervous disorders. The ability of some mycotoxins to comprise the immune response, and consequently reduce resistance to infectious disease is now widely considered to be the most important effect of mycotoxins." END QUOTE

the plural of fungus is fungii

14. OldHippie

OldHippie Germinated

I'm aware that the plural of fungus is fungi, but it's correct to use it that way only when the entire sentence is in Latin.

You like to cut and paste, with quotes yet, from other sites, and pass yourself off as some kind of expert, yet I'M spouting off?

Get over yourself.