Why use huge smart pots?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Cultivation' started by Puff-Puff-Pass, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Puff-Puff-Pass

Puff-Puff-Pass Established Healthy Roots

Why do people plant in these huge smart pots that stand above the ground instead of directly into the ground?[​IMG]

2. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Because they want to use store bought soil and it's easier to fill up that pot than to dig a hole.

:read2:

3. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

I'd rather dig.

edit: maybe they have rocky/shitty soil and this is easy than rototilling the dirt.

4. jr215

jr215 Caged hippie

makes it harder for gophers, voles, rabbits, termites... to get to the roots. The soil gets hotter and the require ALOT more water, but people seem to like them.

5. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Gophers and whatnot. Also allows for the grower to use a soil mix of their choice and feed as they see fit. You might be surprised how big of a plant can be grown in one of those smart pots. I like my Smart Pots. If I was going to do a large outdoor grow I think I would build raised wooden planter boxes though. :passsit:

6. mt.king

mt.king mud drags champion

fencing & weed barrier

Cut a wire fence 2 foot by 12 foot loop it into a circle tie it line with weed cloth leaving the middle open .instant 200 gallon smart pot with an open bottom for the taproots.

I'll post pix tomorrow when light

We amended the soil added composted horse manure. Tilled it mixed in spagnun moss and perlite. Then scooped it and dumped the tractor bucket in them.

7. Puff-Puff-Pass

isnt that a waste of money though? if you have 10 200 gal. smart pots then thats a shit load of money just for soil.

8. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

That's called 'The cost of doing business'.

9. mt.king

trees

Marijuana trees more root zone more yield

10. Puff-Puff-Pass

how is it more room? it can grow below ground with unlimited room

11. mt.king

various reasons

Soil temperature is warmer More surface area to air prune the roots Which makes them split and branch off instead of circling around Better drainage And anything more than 18 inches deep into the ground is packed so tight oxygen won't get to the roots anyway.