Aquariums Anyone?

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by rasganjah, Nov 29, 2011.

1. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

That small nem is NOT an aiptasia. It's called a Majano anemone and some people will say they are a pest, although not nearly the problem that aiptasia can cause, and other people will tell you that they are nothing to worry about unless they multiply rapidly. I actually have 2 of them in the tank and according to my friend they have been in there for some time. They have not reproduced and they don't bother anything. They are actually kind of cute. Some people pay money for them. I think these hitchhiked in on live rock. They stay small unlike aiptasia and they have very short tentacles. For now I am keeping them.

As for the upkeep, it's really not that bad. But I know that it's not for everyone. Ever since my first fish tank in high school, I always wanted a saltwater reef and now I have it. I plan to eventually have wall to wall corals in the tank. It can be expensive but I am addicted already. I spend all my extra time contemplating the next addition or change to the tanks.

The Maroon Clown will charge anything that comes close to her anemone. SHe hasn't nipped me yet though. The small male Clown in the nano tank is vicious though and WILL bit anything that comes into the tank. He can bite pretty hard for a little fish.

The personalities of fish can be astounding and interesting to observe. I really love to watch the tanks and observe the different behaviors.

Res- That sucks what happened to your tank. Due to the nature of my job now I don't go on vacations or out of town for any length of time for anything.... EVER. If I do need to go out of town I have someone I can trust that is also versed in growing as well as the aquariums that I can ask to look after them. I also am planning on getting a small generator very soon just in case of any extended power outages.

2. HeadCase

HeadCase Old Prick

Salt water tanks are awesome & alot of work tC had some real nice ones I don't know if he still does . Great hobby Ras-Bud

3. God I had such a crappy cam back then. Miss my tank and digging through my old pics makes me want to start one up again. Someday!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. jr215

jr215 Caged hippie

Looks awesome. After Christmas I'm going to set up a nano. I'll be buggin you for frags!

5. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Haha, cool brother. i wondered how long before you noticed the pics. We're enjoying the tank a lot. Whenever you're ready, I'll hook you up with all the frags you want.

6. TheCarpenter

TheCarpenter member

Nice pics Ras, never knew you were in to the hobby. I've had aquariums since I was a kid, probably always will. Right now I've got a 75g reef/predator tank (yes, they can be done with research and proper selection) and a 33 gal nano reef. I'm in the process of building a 300g acrylic aquarium to upgrade my 75. I haven't had the chance to completely read through the thread but here's a few videos and pics of my tanks.

[YOUTUBE]7r13kTuogXY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]_2M00iPDkWk[/YOUTUBE]

Mated-Pair Yellow-stripe Maroon Clowns

[​IMG]

Mated-Pair Bristle-tail Filefish

[​IMG]

Porcupine Puffer "Porky" He's my favorite fish in the tank, begs like a dog.

[​IMG]

Chainlink Moray Eel

[​IMG]

Decorator Crab on some mushrooms

[​IMG]

Mated-Pair Clarkii Clowns and their carpet anemone

[​IMG]

Banded Coral Shrimp

[​IMG]

What my 75g looked like 2 years ago.

[​IMG]

-tC

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2011
  7. TheCarpenter

TheCarpenter member

...Ras?

-tC

8. jr215

jr215 Caged hippie

For Ras. Thanks Brother. 12 gallon nano cube. Still a lot to add to it, but I'm spending a bunch of time tripping out on it. [​IMG]

nano.jpg

/monthly_2011_12/nano.jpg.38b12a07029a4330aa8f1fa405e8c5b0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2011
  9. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

It looks good man, I like the anemone, but you'll be needing more light for sure. My anemone moved behind a rock where I can barely see it, hopefully when I add the refugium and the wavemaker it will move out into the open once ot notices a change in the current in the tank. It had been eating but where it moved to makes ot hard to feed it.

Is that green behimd the mushrooms a new rock or is that a new coral?

10. TheCarpenter

TheCarpenter member

:passsit:

-tC

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2011
  11. jr215

jr215 Caged hippie

I'm looking into LED's or maybe a really low wattage metal halide.I can't seem to escape the MORE light problem in either hobby :) I saw a video on youtube that shows how to make LED panels. With my background I think it will be easy. More pic's to come as it grows. Maybe it should be in the grow log thread?

12. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Hey bro! I swear I typed out a response and posted it! I dunno what happened! Sorry brother.

I like your tanks a lot. Especially the predator tank. I want to have a puffer and an eel eventually. I really love the puffer fish.

I even asked you a question about trying to pair my Gold Band Maroon Clownfish. I noticed that all yours are pairs. I really would like to pair mine with a mate. She has a host anemone, do you think that will make it harder to pair her?

13. Member Submissions

Member Submissions PM me with your entries!

You guys sparked my interest. I do have a empty 55 but as far as equipment up to date for salt I would not now where to start as far as lighting filters ect.

t6

14. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Any T5 fixture will work for lighting. A 55 would do best with a 4 bulb fixture, that's what I have. The bulbs are daylight 12k and Acitinic Blue. Other than that, you can do most of your filtration biologically with lots of live rock and water movement. A protein skimmer is a must in my opinion. Other than that, the rest is extra bells and whistles. If you really want more info I'm sure that between jr215, myself, Resin, and tC we could get you dialed in quickly. You can get almost anything you need from the internet. Check out craigslist too, you might find someone parting out a system and be able to pick up some good equipment for cheap.

15. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Here are a couple current shots of my tank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. TheCarpenter

TheCarpenter member

It's cool Ras, I meant that jokingly, sounded a little harsher than I meant.

I really like your tank Ras, especially the mushrooms. There's not many places in my tank safe from the current for mushrooms, but I have a pretty decent little patch. I've mainly tried to stick to corals that my fish won't mess with and are easy to propogate. I'm about to get rid of my filefish pair though, they are nipping at everything, including my LTA. I would put them in the refugium, but I already have a few small shrimp and crabs in there that I'm sure they would nip to pieces. I love my puffer, he's the puppy dog of the tank. I've got him trained to squirt water at my hand when I hold food above the tank. Every now and then he "stretches" and I get to see him puffed up for a few seconds, he gets to be about the size of a cantaloupe.

Pairing maroons can be tough. The females are pretty rough on the males. I bought mine as a juveniles and let them pair naturally. I paired my clarkii's myself and I've helped other people pair maroons. There's a few ways you can do it, but you've got to be prepared for the possibility of losing a few fish. One way is to use a divider and introduce a male that's no more than about 75% the size of the female. Let him live in the divider for a few weeks, and then start supervised introductions into the rest of the tank, removing him if he starts to get beat up. That way can be hit or miss sometimes, but a pretty much full-proof way of pairing is to get 2 juveniles and introduce them into the tank. The female's aggression is divided between the fish, and as they establish a pecking order, the female will bond with the dominant juvi. Sadly the odd man out usually takes a lot of abuse, and doesn't usually survive unless removed.

jr215 ~ I switched my nano over to HQI metal-halide, and I love it. 30,000 lumens at 150w with a 20k temp looks killer, and my pizza-sized carpet anemone loves it. 30k lumens is usually 400w territory, but the HQI MH's do it at 150 watts. I'm surprised nobody uses them for vegging. I lucked out and found mine on ebay for like $150, it came in a nice housing with actinic lights and led moon lights built in too.

Take the plunge T6! Being stoned and staring at a box of water will be your new favorite hobby. You won't be able to walk past it and not stop and stare for a minute.

-tC

17. jr215

jr215 Caged hippie

Thanks Carpenter. I was looking at 70 watt dual sided halides. I think I can make a nice hood with one of those and one or two LED strips. When I had my 60 I used to get lost in it after medicating. Anxiety and stress go to the wind with some nice kush and an aquarium. Wheres my lighter? The pic is a cat shark I hatched in my old tank.

shrk.jpg

/monthly_2011_12/shrk.jpg.39b89d15fca38ec049d63c395c58b731.jpg

18. jr215

jr215 Caged hippie

Ras, here's the 60 before salt.

old60.jpg

/monthly_2011_12/old60.jpg.eb3d2af48bdfed0dfebb153b3c74d7e0.jpg

19. jr215

jr215 Caged hippie

And then...

reef.jpg

/monthly_2011_12/reef.jpg.ae29edfc2c61f31d83032ab902190248.jpg

20. jr215

jr215 Caged hippie

And since I'm geeking out, here's my poor attempt at a macro shot of a mushroom. Not that kind of shroom!

mshrm.jpg

/monthly_2011_12/mshrm.jpg.c52aa3a83ff723e67827f12a4f17b364.jpg