Aquariums Anyone?

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by rasganjah, Nov 29, 2011.

1. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Well, I think today my anemone is going to die. I took it out of the tank because it looks like it is dying and I don't want it to foul the tank and kill everything. Better to lose one anemone than all my livestock in the tank. It is all shriveled up and it detached from it's rock and fell to the sand. i moved it last night and it sort of tried to attach itself to a rock but it was a feeble attempt. When I removed it at least it wasn't disintegrating yet. It responds to my touch by sort of closing up, but it looks like it's on it's way out. Unless a miracle happens and it all of a sudden looks better in a little while, I'm gonna toss it out. :BangHead:

2. jr215

jr215 Caged hippie

Put it in a bowl with an airstone. Might just be trying to take a crap.

3. TheCarpenter

TheCarpenter member

Sorry to hear that Ras, I know how you feel, I've flushed a few anemones on their way out myself. Good luck with the next one.

-tC

4. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

It looks like I can see a hole in it's foot and the edge of it's foot seems to be dissolving? I'm not sure.....

5. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Well...... Upon further and closer examination maybe what I thought was the foot dissolving, was really just some waste that it expelled after I put it in the bowl that stuck to it's foot. I found some pics online that look a lot like what my anemone looks like now and they recovered after expelling waste and being deflated for a few days. Maybe I jumped the gun. I looked closely and it looks alive, just deflated and obviously stressed out now, but I put it back in the tank and it attached to the rock almost immediately and looks a little better now. I'm gonna keep a close eye on it throughout the day. Maybe it will survive as a Christmas present.

6. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

Hows the anenome now Ras? This thread made me all reminiscent......I started a new salty today. Only a little 10 gallon nano tank. Man I forgot how expensive saltwater was. Not including the tank, filter, heater, top, stand OR light I blew $200. Just on live rock, live sand, 2 damsels, 5 crabs, food, and a few minor things. Love the live rock but man is it expensive!!! Will post pics later sometime when it's farther along.

7. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Hey Canna, my anemone didn't make it. I will try again, but not until I make a few changes. I'm gonna add a refugium for one thing. I need a top to slow down transpiration. I'm gonna get a chiller and a couple other gizmos.

The saltwater hobby isn't cheap. But it really is cool. I had a friend come over recently who had never seen my tank and he tripped out for like an hour while we were talking. He couldn't take his eyes off of it.

8. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

Pity about the anenome :( Yeah I am like your friend, I can sit and stare allll day. I found a great reef shop nearby and really good price on life rock, rubble rock only $2 a pound so I stocked up. Here is my little nano reef in progress. Shit pic but there you have it 0207121714-01.jpg

/monthly_2012_02/0207121714-01.jpg.b5d456d5134ca84acf70563a6d159355.jpg

9. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

I was drawn over to the salt water tanks while at the pet shop this afternoon. They had these small fish I mean really small that looked like angel fish with a blue bottom fin. They were gorgeous I have never seen them before.

t6

10. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Yeah, I was bummed to lose it, but I was more bummed out for my poor Clown Fish. She really loved her anemone! I saw a nice looking Carpet Anemone at Petco for a good price and I was tempted to buy it. I'm gonna wait though, until I get my upgrades done, and I think I want to try another Bubble Tip Anemone next time. I'm gonna specifically look for an aqua-cultured specimen.

You nano looks cool. I liked my nano, but I love my 60 gallon for the versatility of corals and fish it allows me to have. I may aqua-scape my refugium with macro corals and some fish too, and a frag rack. My mushrooms and Kenya Trees are reproducing regularly.

Here's a couple current shots of my tank. I lost both my Bangaii Cardinals... They refused to eat. The Pajama Cardinals are doing great though.

Full Tank Shot

[​IMG]

Pajama Cardinal. mrsganjah calls them "Old Man Pants" cuz they remind her of an old man that's wearing Polka dots with Stripes and Plaid! LOL :roffl:

[​IMG]

Moonbeam and her Hammer coral. She's not hosting really, just guarding it. :new_blackey:

[​IMG]

t6- You gotta do it man! Just do it! You will love staring at your tank after smoking some good hash. :thumbsup: There are sooo many cool fish. And you don't have to do coral, you could do live Fish Only with Live Rock or a FOWLR tank. A bit easier to start with. Also it allows you to have fish that aren't coral friendly like Lion Fish or Puffers and Eels.

11. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

I have a empty 55 I could try but I need a new top and a decent light also I am unsure about all the filters, skimmers and all the assessories and there are a million opinions about what to use.

Do you guys have any favorite sites that discuss tank setups that work the best??

t6

12. that gringo

that gringo Young Bud of GK

Cool tank Ras:jj: i was just staring at it for a while:coolbounce:...why would you put a pufferfish in your tank? here when we catch them fishing we bash em until they get off the hook and throw em in the rocks cuz they kill the other fish lol

13. TheCarpenter

TheCarpenter member

That's just fucking retarded. Don't most fish eat OTHER FISH??? I hope you're a shitty fisherman.

-tC

Cannagirl likes this.
  14. TheCarpenter

TheCarpenter member

Sorry if I was an asshole, I was in a shitty mood this morning, and that post really pissed me off. I've been a hunter all my life, but I strongly disagree with killing an animal for nothing, especially because you don't like it's eating habits. For your information, puffers primarily eat crustaceans, and rarely eat live fish. In the future, please just unhook them and let them be, they can live 50 years plus.

My Puffer

[​IMG]

-tC

15. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

That Puffer's cool! Great pic :thumbsup:

16. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

Love puffers! I had one a long time, puffy had the greatest personality!

And with the galleries back I found some pics to post of old tanks :)

This one was a newish reef that split in half while I was at work one day and caused a small fire. The problem was the stand was not aquarium safe.

[​IMG]

These guys, I used to breed. Expensive but worth it if you can get them to do it. I was doing daily water changes.

[​IMG]

A pair laying eggs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Guppy tank I liked

[​IMG]

Nano reef, my favorite tank besides my current one

[​IMG]

17. Tony Aroma

Tony Aroma Let's Go - Two Smokes!

Maybe I missed it, but what kind of lighting do you have? Anemones need a LOT of light. They also need to be fed occasionally. And most require pretty high water quality. Contrary to what some believe, and what the people at the fish store would like you to believe, anemones are VERY DIFFICULT to keep. They rarely live very long and almost never grow like they do in nature.

Also for future reference, once an anemone becomes bleached (loses the algae that lives inside it), it will not live much longer. A white anemone is a dying anemone (except for those white Condylactus anemones that should NOT be kept with a clown fish). Don't buy a white anemone.

18. Tony Aroma

Tony Aroma Let's Go - Two Smokes!

19. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I'm aware of all those things. As with anything I do. I did my research first. I have a 48" 4 bulb T5 240 watt fixture directly above the tank. It is about 19" from the light to the bottom sand in the tank. I think it should be sufficient for keeping an Anemone. My Anemone wasn't bleached, but they can recover the Zooxanthellae if bleached, but it requires an expert knowledge of Anemone Keeping to nurse a sick Anemone. I did feed my Anemone and it ate a few times before taking a turn for the worse.

I believe that one part of my problem was the acclimation process. I failed to do the proper drip acclimation process when introducing it to my tank. I also don't have a top on my tank at the moment so I tend to lose a lot of water each day through transpiration. I add about a gallon a day of water right now. That means that my salinity is fluctuating just a bit. Still well within acceptable range for my reef, but may have been too much for the Anemone. I', eventually gonna have an auto top off system with a dedicated R/O and UV filters, I'm adding a refugium as well, and I'll make a top to slow transpiration. I also intend to add a chiller. I may even get some more LED lights to add a little more power to the lighting so I can keep some SPS corals.

All in all I chalk it up to a learning experience.

20. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

Found a blue hippo tang today the size of my pinkie fingernail. Had to buy him, never seen one even close to this small. He was $25.....I sure hope he makes it.