Boycott Wal-Mart If You Want to Help Save America From Big Brother

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Herb, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

That's what I'm saying. Just because I don't buy the 'Chinese masses are being enslaved and forced to work in factories' line at face value, and it's surprising how so many do, doesn't mean I think China is a great place to live or Wal-Mart is a great place to shop.

Sure, man, I'll check them out. As for your question, it would depend on how much 8 - 10$ buys. Without some idea of the cost of living in China, the question is pretty meaningless. Also, this exploting the poor thing happens everywhere and has been since the dawn of agriculture and pastoralism produced class based societies. People can try not to support it and that's a good thing, I guess, but personally, I can't really remember to care about too many "causes".

It seems like a bit of a slippery slope to me. Boycott Chinese goods and then what about that other country over there or that company whose practices we don't approve of? Let's boycott them, too. We'll have to make a big list of all the different things we can't buy and places we can't shop, and don't buy those coffee beans because the country that makes them isn't doing enough to protect the critically endangered habit of their last few remaining ruby-throated pygmy hummingbirds. Are you sure that's dolphin-free tuna? Boy, do I hate drift net fishing. Just free floating death zones. They ought to call it death net fishing. It's just so evil and full of death. And after I swim with the dolphins in Taiji I'm gonna go to the West Bank and protest the continual building of settlements. And then I'm gonna go save the rainforests, because if anything needs saving, it's them. It's just horrible how all that logging keeps going on and so many acres are being sucking into the angry, gaping maw of the unfeeling beast of capitalism every day. Forests are getting massacred. Every single tree that gets cut down makes me more and more concerned. And now there are roads going through the jungle and animals that never saw cars before are getting run over and it's just horrible. I just wish I could do more. I wish I could be like Leonardo DiCaprio and fly around the world trying to save the tigers.

:passsit:

The point I was trying to make is that people are demonizing China as if they are somehow more evil than other people. At this moment in time, China is perceived an economic enemy of the U.S. by many people and so gets turned into the bad guy and the truth gets stretched and things even get made up and people are ready and willing to lap it right up without question. Enslaving their own people to keep the economic engine running? Doesn't really seem likely to me.

2. AlienBait

AlienBait Custom User Title

Something is not right....

DHS wants you to report any suspicious activity your neighbors might be doing, but if your neighbors are 10 non-english speaking men living in one 3-bedroom house and you report that they are not here legally, DHS doesn't want to hear about it.

3. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

That's ok. I've decided in light of the increasing loss of my privacy and crowding concerns to kill my neighbors. Never liked them much anyways.

4. ncmaineac

ncmaineac Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

i spend 300 wk at wally world...

not sure what you guys are all talking about...i would work for 10 bucks a day...if i had insurance provided, cable, living all provided...inexpensive gvt controlled food, college for all people, schools are all free...all comes with that 10 bucks a day...thanks to communism...btw..chinese people can travel now as well...things are not like america...but why the fuck should they be...they have a system that works for them...and the last time i checked we were borrowing money from them..and that is not walmarts fault...

you guys think china is like it was 50 years ago..wally world does a good job providing jobs for people...not sure why that is bad...the provide lots of money and benefits including matching 401k and paysop for their employees...my nephew works there in charlotte at the dist center and make 17.50 hour and great bennies...they support his national guard obligations (he has already done one tour in iraq... and had his job when he got back.) all very positive...btw he drives a fork lift...

i buy cheap food , tires, some household stuff, inspection stickers, lots of stuff...and i look around for what i buy...hard to beat walmart...

and at least at the one i go to....the people seem like they like working there and are always helpful...

another thing...how many places will hire old folks, slow folks, and certainly homely folks....

want cheap goods...and i dont care who makes them as long as they meet my specs and my price....

sure they have fucked up things too ...but there are fucked up things on a family farm or in corporate world...just the way it is...

now thats my .02 cents worth...

:passsit:

LionLoves420 likes this.
  5. ResinRubber

Yup, just down home Amerikan thought. Trade it all for handouts.

6. AlienBait

AlienBait Custom User Title

I don't want to thread-jack and I don't think I am, but I'm going to throw a few things out there that may seem unrelated, but after reading those articles that Herb linked, I'm beginning to think they are actually connected. I don't have any conclusions yet. I'm just fomulating a theory.

Government asks citizens to spy on each other: Builds distrust of your neighbor.

Refusal to control ILLEGAL immigration: Creates an underclass that is used to living in poverty. The more Illegals that are let in, the larger this population will be.

Class warfare: "Those evil greedy rich folks are the problem. We are here to help..."

Uncontrolled deficits: More and More spending without increasing revenue. There is no way this can be paid back. Eventually the government will have to default on the debt, crashing the economy.

FEMA camps.

Creation of a national civilian security force (gestapo?) with funding on par with the military.

Privacy issues (it's for your own good): Video cameras on every corner; "Smart" meters on home electric and gas; Eliminating anonymous pre-paid cell phones; Google Maps; Eliminating cash by issuing debit and credit cards; On-line bill-pay; Invasive x-rays and sexy pat-downs at the airports; Smog Check.

I created a Facebook account and they suggested some folks who might be "Friends" that I should add. Guess what! Half of those suggestions were people that are here on GK (it may have actually been all GK folks, but I only recognized half). How the hell did they know that??? I guess they could have been reading the cookies, but still, it shows we are being watched and at least Facebook isn't worried about letting you know about it.

7. Chronic Don

Chronic Don Daddy of RP & GG

I am reminded of a movie out a few yrs back about a terrorist attack on the States, "The Siege". The jist of it was the "damage" caused wasnt the physical damage to buildings/people/infrastructure, it was the loss of civil liberties, the loss of freedoms in the name of security. I believe it was a denzel washington movie. So is it whats happening, just slower, since 9/11? Are they really taking away freedoms andliberties? or is it just enhanced security?

8. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

I just picked this off the shelf for whatever reason and was perusing it a couple days ago and thought this a relevant passage.

:F-A-Q:

9. Psycho D

Psycho D LEE VAN SPLEEF

Haha, I am not "stuck" on anyone brother. The SQ thing was a joke. Laugh a little man.

Granted, I do however disagree with MOST of what Alex Jones, Marsden, and half of those other morons want to spout. Flecks of truth sprayed with bullshit to grow into giant soup-can politics. I thought I had made my position clear on that. But, I wouldn't fault anyone for believing them, that is thier job and they do it well.

There has ALWAYS been a dead zone in the Gulf. ALWAYS. From the begininng of time man everyone knows that. Again, I only rely on eyewitness reports to tell me what's going on there. Not the internet.

As far as the rat-out wal-mart stuff.........c'mon. Only the mindless idiots would even bother to take note. It's a weak attempt at best. I haven't seen it though and, not because I can afford to shop elsewhere, simply because over the years I've found domestic resources elsewhere. To say otherwise would be elitest. Take note here though: My sis has a few more kids than me so I asked her the last time she went to Wal-fart. She replied last week and said no such advertisement. Now..I'm not saying it ain't happening somewhere else, but unless they are puttin tracking chips or subliminal messages in fuckin McGregor tennis shoes, I don't care. Simple as that.

Maybe I'M the delusional control freak. But I HIGHLY doubt it. Tend to think I have a fairly comprehensive grasp on how this government works. All we have to do is weed out the Jeffersonians.

10. TheCarpenter

TheCarpenter member

Unfortunately that demographic makes up at least 90% of the population.

-tC

11. ResinRubber

Now your scarin me.

12. Psycho D

Psycho D LEE VAN SPLEEF

yeah, how's that?

If something with any of my statements need clarifying, do tell.

But, I have a few minutes so I'll take a stab at assumptions......without going into a history lesson

Scared how?.......haha, I ain't LEO or some other nonsense, if that's what you're thinkin'. I do get how bureaucracy works though having been employed by goverment agencies and the army. Was a firefighter too as a younger man if that matters.. so I get how "it" works.

Scared how? #2....the only other part of the quoted sentence one could possibly find fault with is the weeding out of Jeffersonians. Wasn't like I meant facisim or genocide dude...I simply used the term to mean archaic liberals. I don't mean liberals like you and I. They were liberal to a fault. Jefferson himself even went against his own principles multiple times. Hence, my analogy to contemporary politicians. I'm not one for governing or rule enforcement either but I sure as fuck am going to kick someones ass if they try to take my lunch money.

There's principalities in the whole thing- Big Worm

And yes tC most people are idiots. One can only hope Natural Selection can fix that. But, I doubt it.

~and now back to your regularly scheduled toking~ :flyy:

13. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

I really hope either I or you have the wrong idea about Jeffersonian ideas. Please elaborate as to what your interpretation of such is, and who exactly we need to weed out based on such.

14. ResinRubber

Ditto. And I'd suggest you browse the Federalist Papers to get an idea of who Jefferson was and his ideals for America. As a politician he was one of the stalwarts in favor of individual rights and limitation of federal government. If you want to weed out folks of an ilk supportive of such positions you scare me.

15. ncmaineac

ncmaineac Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

jefferson

jefferson lived until he was way over 80 years...he wrote every day you know first newspaper and all that...he had time to write about his opinion every day...and like the weather it changed over the years....

at sometime during his life he wrote about all kinds of differing opinions even different from his own previous writings...

jefferson was certainly one of our best scolars however , imho, he was no john adams....

just my humble opinion...

btw...i dont think everything should be the law just because it was in 1786 and 1787, when those federalist papers were written , THINGS CHANGE

16. ResinRubber

And some things never change. The qualities of a limited government is one of them. Freedom from oppressive levels of taxation is another.

No he's not John Adams, as a contemporary I give them near equal weight. But, the comment wasn't about Adams. It was about "weeding out the Jeffersonians" which implies a doctrine to the opposite of the personal liberties and limited government he espoused.

17. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

That's the truth! and the root of the problem. You can't stop what is coming, not by boycotting Wal Mart or China, or any manner of activism towards saving this or stopping that. It's just not possible to coordinate enough people together in order to have enough power to actually effect any meaningful change. People are either too apathetic or too stupid to give a crap. The world is full of mindless idiots that do and go along with whatever they are told is right by the corporate controlled media. Things are deteriorating rapidly within society and amongst the poor classes around the world. the gap between the Rich and the poor continues to climb and the worlds wealth is controlled by an increasingly powerful and increasingly smaller % of the worlds population, and they will see the world suffer for their own gains. The cycle will continue until their is a massive financial collapse. That's just my thoughts and how I think things may play out, for what it's worth.

By the way, Alex Jones and the likes, do just as much fear mongering and spreading of propaganda as the mainstream media. Not that they aren't telling the truth at times, but a lot of what they report is unfounded rhetoric. I still check out some of what they say, but a lot of it is just as skewed as the mainstream media, just in the opposite direction. There is a lot of interesting things out there on their sites though, and I always think it's a good thing to browse, but you gotta wade through all the crap and filter out the good stuff, you definitely can't believe everything you read on infowars and prisonplanet. Just like you can't believe everything Fox News or CNN reports either.

18. greenthumbwhitethumb

greenthumbwhitethumb down w the moral majority

19. greenthumbwhitethumb

greenthumbwhitethumb down w the moral majority

Shit - I just got a WM gift card in the mail.....NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

GTWT

20. big t double

big t double i finally changed this

:roffl: i think thats the definition of irony