Do you think a fan leaf can root?

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by Nilzar, Feb 18, 2009.

?

Do you think a fan leaf can root?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. OneHitterInOz

OneHitterInOz A Fat Sticky Bud

So you already had the answer, sneaky lil devil or should I say sneaky lil penguin devil. No, don't take it out, I do want to see what becomes of it. My geuss would be nothin much will come from it but let it go and see.

Hell, knowin you, you prob already got about an Oz from it...lol

Watch now you'll prob pop up a pic of a big ole bud hangin from the leaf.

2. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

Good Point, OHIO

Be interesting to see what it 'produce's'.

3. Nilzar

Nilzar A Fat Sticky Bud

honestly I don't think it is going to survive for much longer. I fed her but the leaf is 75% yellow and is not looking too good. same leaf activity as a plant late in flower. I dropped it in my sog DWC setup to get some more nutes but who knows. I think I may just have to clone another fucking fan leaf to see whats up, I am not really going out of my way or anything cause I allready have clones im taking care of now and I got room in the humitiy dome for more plants so fuck it.

4. shaitand

shaitand The Dark One

Yes, Yes, Yes

I think the leaf can root (and voted that way before I read that this had already been revealed) and I think new growth will sprout and ultimate bud could be harvested.

Every cell in the plant contains a complete copy of the plants DNA, its just a matter of which genes are activated in that particular cell. Plants seem to be particularly quick to activate and deactivate genes as needed to survive. This is the same thing you see when a female plant goes hermie due to stress.

The cells in the stem of the leaf are very similar to the cells in the trunk of the plant, which in turn are closest to those needed in new growth tips and roots. I think your leaf stem will become the new trunk of the plant and new growth will sprout at the top where the stem meets the leaf or a new grow tip will sprout from the base where the stem meets the cube and that will be your new stem. After that, it'll be the same as any other clone.

5. Guerilla Family

Guerilla Family Serious Guerilla Farmer

Nilzer, Im not calling bullshit(yet), but I just dont see how it is possible to root just a fan leaf.

WHen you cut the leaf, did u include part of the plant stem? [​IMG]

Or did u cut well above where the leaf meets the stem?

[​IMG]

Man Im completely amazed by this. I would have never believed this if you hadnt showed me.

I just found this video. It shows an example of Leaf petiole cutting..

Examples of plants that can be propagated by leaf-petiole cuttings include African violet, peperomia, episcia, hoya, and sedum.

So now what man? I dont think it will actually grow like this. I mean u have to have a main stem for new growth to form.. So you discovered a leaf will root, but will it grow?

I dont see how it could..

Keep us posted man.

GFam

6. choker

choker HIDING OUT

I thought the same thing. I don't think he is bull shiting. I do believe he did not realize there was plant matter connected to the leaf.

7. Nilzar

Nilzar A Fat Sticky Bud

Nope their was no part of the stem at all when I cut the leaf, I cut just by the stem and then cut another inch off.

8. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

I still don't understand how only a leaf will root :icon_confused:

9. WiZaRD

WiZaRD Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

It will root, but it will not grow. I guess we should all read the question and answer it as it is asked. Yes it might root, but it will not grow.

That was a sneaky poll though, I didn't even read it literally. It might root, but it will NOT grow.

Clever post though.

10. WiZaRD

WiZaRD Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

Now that I think about it... It MIGHT MIGHT MIGHT be possible that somehow from the roots that are formed a new set of .... oh nevermind.

11. Guerilla Family

I dont believe it will grow.. Imagine having a 5 year old pot leaf tho.. pretty odd.. so yes it will root, but wont grow.. Possibly the reason not too many ppl root leaves ;)

Nice thread Nil.. I learned something new.

GFam

12. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

Interesting.....now what I wanna see is someone trying to root one of the uncommon fan leaves that grows a little bud. I had one on my first plant and have seen a couple other people's since then........root it and try to re-veg.....ya never know!

13. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

Any part of a plant that is placed ina dark moist place will grow roots, including the stem of a leaf.

It will not grow branches though. Its stuck as one leaf lol.

14. BlazeOne

BlazeOne Pothead Extraordinaire

hmmmm seems we have a botanist in training...me! I'm on my second year so I have some knoledge but mostly I have the superpower to examine a plant and tell you its not the other one.

edit: my guess is it will grow more blades but it just won't have the structrual integrity to become a plant....on the other hand its kind of the same as reveging or cloning a bud. No no thats like comparing apples to oranges.

15. UrBigBuddie

UrBigBuddie MEDI-GROWER

Fan-Leaf rooting!!!???!!! Not IMO.....

EXACTLY! ^^^^^^^^

IMO, you wont be able to ROOT a Fan-leaf, as the Means to "ROOT" are inside the STEM CELLS in the actual CLONE STEM itself, that;s what HELP's to produce "ROOTS" (With Fan-Leaves already on them, for the POWER to be driven throug the STEM CELLS to PRODUCE, from the FAN-LEAVES power gathered from Lighting sYStems to (which help THE sTEM ceLLS TO BE ABLE TO PRODUCE ENOUGH nirogen THROUGH THEM TO ENCOURAGE rooting) But NOT with a Single FAN-LEAF,IMO ONLY!!!:passit:

Peace,

UrBigBuddie...........:pimp: :potleaf: :jj::bong2:

16. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

It rooted bro, scroll up. So rooting, yes.....growing any further is where it ends though.

17. shaitand

shaitand The Dark One

If his doesn't live I may just have to do one to prove that it can work muahahaha

18. Guerilla Family

Thats what I was thinking UBB! :icon_scratch:

19. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

Plants are totipotent meaning they can develop a whole new plant from a single cell. Pretty crazy shit.

The concept:

[​IMG]

arabidopsis grown from a single cell. Oh yea and to add to that each tube is a cell of a different type, root, stalk, petiole, leave, shoots, even flower structures.

[​IMG]

wish one of you guys would have pmed me to answer the question I just voted yes:fly:

I'm not really surprised it rooted, I'm just interested to see if it can still thrive enough to develop new shoots. That would be cool. It's already made new apical meristems so now it's working on the lateral ones. Lets see what happens from here.

20. MK-Ultra

MK-Ultra Excommunicated

Life is a hard thing to eliminate.... Bacteria living off rocks thousands of feet in the earth should be a testament to that ...oh and I can't forget the sulpher based life forms discovered on the bottom of the ocean...If you don't know 99.9999999998% of life forms on earth are carbon based. When a sulpher based life form was discovered on earth it blew away the scientific communities grasp on where a life form can thrive...So the thought of Earth being the only spot in the universe to host life forms is far fetched.....(I'm not talking visitor type life forms but life on a bacterial scale is almost guarenteed)..................damn drunken rants