DXE is expanding - build out progress

Discussion in 'Grow Log Forum' started by DXE, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Grown in Tx.

Grown in Tx. Locked and Loaded

so the led's raise the temp 19-24 deg?

2. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

They can actually create more heat than a 600W HPS in a cool tube with a good fan and ducting. I can lay my hand comfortably on the top of my tubes. DXE, any chance you can test the heat coming off your 1000W HPS cooltubes vs the heat coming off the LEDS? I can't think of how one would do such a thing, but of course everybody wants to know all the details...:jj:

3. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

I don't think so. He only said there is a 5* variation, 75-80. He started earlier that he was going to control temps via oil heater and bringing in ambient cool air on a temp controller

4. DXE

DXE Moderator

I do not agree with this...

Your tubes - or hoods have air flowing through them to cool the bulb - this air is then discharged OUTSIDE your room. In addition, the square inch area of the hood or tube is MUCH greater than the area of the heatsink on the LED. I dont use tubes - only vented hoods for my HPS and MH

The LED does throw some heat - not much. Remember there is no air flowing over the heatsinks. I will be doing a test where i disable my heater and see how temps maintain using only the heat generated by the LED's - I really dont expect to see much heat...

From what I am seeing - I will have no issue at all in summer months maintaining 80/75 day/nite as the ambient in my basement is in the 60's. In the cooler months I will be using the radient heat in the room - but even that with a smart thermostat wont be too bad - again my basement ambient in winter is in the mid 50's.

5. DXE

DXE Moderator

heat

I have some more info regarding heat produced by the Onyx LED's and how it effects room temp.

My room is 12 foot by 4 foot by 8 feet high. Tightly insulated with foam board all around and all gaps sealed.

I did an experiment where I turned of my heater and my exhaust fan and measured the temperature change over time.

Starting temp: 80F

After 1 hour, the temperature in the room had raised 2 degrees to 82F

Put the fan back on and temperature dropped to 78F. My fan runs at minimum speed (just pulses) until it reaches 80, then it incrementally increases speed to lower the temp.

Apparently the lights do NOT throw enough heat to make up for the 59F ambient air that is pulling into the tent. The temp is maintaining at 78 but not increasing.

I will re-enable the oil radient heater and let the combination of light, heat and fan maintain my 80F

Bottom line - two of these Onyx LED's - while warm to the touch - do not radiate ANYWHERE near the heat the 1K HPS or MH radiate.

6. DXE

DXE Moderator

1 week under LED

Well - its been a week since I put my Cotton Candy under the LED's.

The run is six plants - they had gone 5 weeks under 1K HPS prior to the move.

The buds are continuing to bulk up. The leaves all look very happy and full. All of the leaves have spread out a bit - noticably - I believe this is due to the more consistent footprint of the LED's. I also see a good amount of new growth as well.

The girls are taking 1.5 gallons of water every 2 days - the same as they were under the HPS so I assume they are quite happy in the new environment.

Will post some pictures later when I go downstairs to check on the girls.

7. DXE

DXE Moderator

Ok boys and girls - building again!!!!!

This time I am makeing a space for my own R & D. The space is 60 by 40 inches and will be LED only (2 onyx fixtures). I will use this space for my own purposes - testing new nutes, processes and strains as well as possibly doing a forray into CO2

I m putting up foam board - foil on one side, white with blue print on the other side.

What are the pro's and con's about using the foil side facing the plants as opposed to either the white side or panda film over the foam??

8. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Man I'm loving theses LED grows. :bravo:

9. DXE

DXE Moderator

Well - The space is concrete on two sides, an existing grow on one side and a new wall (still to be built) with the door and vent.I have two inches of foam board on all surfaces and plan on making the room as air tight as I can as I want to possibly play with CO2 in here.Question - do I need panda film on the lower walls of is the straight up foam board light reflective enough??Still have not pulled the trigger on the LED yet - most likely will be ONYX. 440cfm fan and scrubber go in tomarrow, then I finish framing out the front wall.

IMG_4229.JPG

/monthly_2014_08/IMG_4229.JPG.831d2380f1a0eaaabddef4be8cbf11d4.JPG

10. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

I'd put the panda up so the reflected light intensities are more uniform since the blue print can alter things some. How much is hard to say without measuring. May be next to nothing, might be more than we would think.

11. Grown in Tx.

Hold on a second haas, sup with the harvest details from before? How's that cotton candy?

12. DXE

DXE Moderator

The cotton candy is getting pulled later today - it looks and smells awesome and should prove to be a good haul. Will put some pics up in my led grow thread

13. Grown in Tx.

Ahh, got ya:thumbsup:.

Congrats on your expansion in the growing realm. I'm gonna do one as soon as i start seeing the R O I on my last expansion. Which should be in a couple months. I started out in a 4x12 now its 10x12, gonna be 18x12. If Tx ever legalizes it'll be 60x20:roffl:

14. BarnabyStones

BarnabyStones Established Healthy Roots

Must be nice to worry about keeping the heat in instead of getting rid of it!

15. DXE

DXE Moderator

Its not so much keeping the heat in though that does help in the winter - its more in controlling the internal temp by ALLOWING cool ambient air into the room then flushing it out with an inline fan/scrubber setup. I exhaust all of my fans into a large store room in the basement with a couple open casement windows (summer only). Heating this space helps with my winter heating bills upstairs....I use multiple oscilatting fans (wall mounted) to move the air arpound the canopy and small fans moving the air below the canopy.I am lucky in that my ambient air in the cellar is in the 60's to lower 70's year round. Basically I dehumidify the ambient air and pull it into each of my grows. I have a programmable temperature controlled fan speed controller in each room that is set for a max of 80F. The fans can be set to turn off or pulse on low when temp is below presets.My smaller tents use 440CFM fans and the larger double tent uses a single 800cfm fan. The fans seldom run at high for long.For winter I supppliment the tents with programmable thermostats controlling small blade or oil electric heaters - mainly for night time so year round my night temps are 70 and my day temps are 80The LED fixtures really make this possible - HPS just throws too much heat IMG_4233.jpg

/monthly_2014_08/IMG_4233.jpg.c5666ee73423ca39d696b908cfbeabfa.jpg

16. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

Gotta love underground ops. The earth around your floor and foundation being at a steady temp goes a long way toward keeping the environment stable. Those fan speed controllers are the shit...