Easy Organic Soil Mix

Discussion in 'Organic Cultivation' started by ResinRubber, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Discorilla

Discorilla Shining like a Discoball!

"Easy Organic Soil mix: adapted and revised by ResinRubber from “Vic’s Super Soil mix” originally posted on OverGrow as contributed by the BC Growers Association.

1 Bag Promix (4 cu ft) Got Promix BX

6 cups Bone Meal - phosphorus source Got Dr. Earth Premium Bone Meal 3-15-0

2 cups Blood Meal - nitrogen source Got Whitney Farms Natural Blood Meal 12-0-0

1 cup Epsom salts - magnesium source

3 cups dolomite lime -calcium source & pH buffering Have Whitney Farms Prilled Dolomite

2 cups fish/seaweed emulsion – micro nutrients, amino acids, nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium

*Optional, but highly recommended especially for organic growers, is a mycorrhizal innoculant. Whatever brand you choose, be sure the spore count is above 60 per 50ml and that it contains no fertilizer additives. Going to check out the Hydro store for this tomorrow once I get the other stuff.

Mix thoroughly, moisten before use. To gain the full benefit of a living soil it’s best to wait 1-2 weeks after moistening to use."

For the Fish/seaweed Emulsion, what would be best to use? I just need to buy this, and the Epsom Salts, and I'll be good to go for making a batch of this. How much K should I be shooting for in the Emulsion mix, so I have a good balance of nutes?

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2013
  2. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Been meaning to adjust that. :bong-2:

split that lime into 1 cup lime and 2 cups greensand. Might need to play around with the balance of these two depending on how hard your water is. The greensand and molasses are going to be good sources of potassium and Mg.

For an emulsion Neptunes Harvest Fish/Seaweed emulsion is good and worth every penny. Dramm "O" or "K" are both solid. If you can't source those look for an NPK around 2-3-1 and make sure whatever you use is a cold emulsion process.

These clones and flowering plants are done with the mix above.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2013
  3. Discorilla

They look so lovely! This is why I've been wanting to switch!

I keep telling my wife, "Just let me make the switches I need, and I could have way better bud...."

4. Discorilla

I found this at one of the Hydro stores... View attachment 17986 I found this soil amendment version of Neptune's Harvest. Would this be what you are talking about? I wasn't able to find anything with NPK values that are close to 2-3-1. Most of the liquids were 0-0-.5.

DSCN0542.JPG

/monthly_2013_05/DSCN0542.JPG.00085367e95fc1336d457b59e9dd2898.JPG

5. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I was gonna mix my own soil but I couldn't get a good enough price on a base soil or soilless mix to make it cost effective. I ended up having to just buy what I know is a decent soil already mixed and ready to go.

What does it cost you per cu/ft to mix up your soil mix Resin? You know approximately give or take a dollar or two. :passsit:

6. Discorilla

It just cost me $100 for all the soil/ amendments I needed for a full batch.

That's $37 for the 4 cu foot Promix BX, and about $65 for all the additives.

In comparison, a 25 lb bag of Pre-mixed TGA super soil amendments is $100, for enough to make 16 cu ft. You still have to buy the 16 cu feet of soil though, which would be another $150 after tax if you bought it all at once.

7. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

And that is why you compost.....

8. Discorilla

When I get a house, I'll have a few bins ready to go for this. Apartment living sucks...

9. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I'm moving my compost bin and gonna get it going again.

I bought Roots Organics 707 potting soil and it works out to be $10 per cu/ft I can get it for $8.66 per cu/ft if I buy 30 cu/ft at a time. That's 10 3 cu/ft bags. It's their amended soil. It feeds for just a few weeks depending on the size of the containers. But I intend to feed compost tea so the soil only needs to be mildly amended for what I'm doing.

10. ResinRubber

The soil amendments add about another $11 per 4 cu/ft batch. If you drop the Fish Emulsion cost of amendments drops to $4. Locally Promix goes cheap. Last time was $23 3.8 cu/ft bale

It's getting all your amendments stocked the first time that gets expensive. Same as hydro and buying all those freaking bottles.

11. Discorilla

Yeah, prices are a bit different here. It's all good, though. I'll easily make it back with some nice nuggage!

12. TwistedCowboy

TwistedCowboy Germinating

I've been composting and mixing my own soil for my vegetables for years, where I'm hitting a roadblock, is where all these additives come in and exactly what role they play in the cultivation of MJ. I was always told that, in general of course, if you use it successfully on tomatoes than its good for MJ. That said we've won prizes the last six years at the county fair for our tomatoes and I'm using the same compost, soil, fert. mix, for my indoor garden now.

I'll admit since I'm just starting out and my plants are only about 4inches tall, I'm more than a little concerned about what I should or shouldn't add to my current mix to facilitate better growth. I realize that without telling y'all exactly what's in my current soil it's hard to advise, but I tend to be a little guarded about it since it has worked so well for me in the past.

I will say it contains an even mix of loam and sand, I add potash for lime, and most of the nitrogen content comes from the compost itself. Am I ok with this? Or is there more I can do?

13. BongRippa

BongRippa Full Flowering

Well The soil will most likely be fine for awhile, but i highly doubt that just the soil will be enough to get them from start to finish unless they are in huge containers. By the time you start to flower I would think you would need them on a feeding schedule. Many here including myself like using the Usless 3 part General Hydroponics formula its fairly cheap and easy to use. You can use in any medium and preforms really well. Click on this link http://forum.growkind.com/showthread.php?It=35174&highlight=useless+formula#.Ud4Yljvrx9Z

Im sure others more knowledgeable than myself will chime in and most would agree that this stuff works.

:passsit:

14. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

LIFE LESSON: Don't let anyone fuck with your compost.

I had two bins. My mother-in-law kept fucking with one of them while the second was left alone to me.

I just dumped the one she has been messing with today because it was MUD (And she put BIRD SEED in it).

The one she didn't mess with is doing fine and draining fine. Smells like bag soil instead of SHIT like the other bin.

:passsit:

15. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

thought others might profit

RES - making your mix. Got the tarp spread out on the garage floor and a bale of Promix sitting there waiting to get cut open. I got the other stuff except fish emulsions. What brand fish emulsions do you use, and is it liquid or powder?

Also, if you are using liquid fish emulsion, at what strength? Are you putting in two cups of pure liquid fish emulsion? Or are you mixing it, like 2 teaspoons per gallon of water, then adding two cups of that.

Thanks man. Seven little Lemon Thai cuts are counting on you! Hope you are well. :bong-2::raygunx:

FF

16. DXE

DXE Moderator

I put 2 cups Alaska liquid fish emulsion in a gallon of water and mix that completly with the soil mix. If there is still some of the emulsion in the bucket I wash it out with additional water and add it to the mix

17. ResinRubber

Sorry it took awhile to get caught up. Fish emulsions are very user friendly. With the exception of a couple finicky strains, 2 cups per 4 cubic feet of soil directly into the mix or mixed with H2O and added does nicely.

I prefer Dramm "O" or Neptune's Harvest Fish/seaweed liquid emulsion.

18. gizmo_barks

gizmo_barks Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

I will tell you one thing: fish emulsions are not all equal. NPK can be different. Some are 5-1-1 or 5-2-2. Some are for flower, like Alaska 0-10-10. Seaweed is also different.

I would suggest to learn thru a lot of reading or use someone's formula. That way you can ask them questions.

The main thing about growing is feeding the plant what it needs at the time it needs it.

Micro nites should be put in soil in the beginning. That way the plant should have enough thru the whole season.

During Veg, the Plant needs a more Nitrogen ratio of macro nutes, or NKP.

During flower, the plant needs more phosphorus and potassium that nitrogen. I can go on and on, but...

Bottom line: Unless you know what you are doing, use useless formula. It seems it is working.

And don't over feed, Eagle claw- bad.

peace

G_B

19. Helpfuljosh

Helpfuljosh Excommunicated

Organic fluid nutrient

Greeting happy growers,

Last year I had some plants outdoor. Went well but at the end they had a nutrient shortage. I had dried chicken manor and cow manor (both organic) but it was hard to get it to the roots. Is there an organic nutrient that mixes with water easily and then washes to the roots real fast?

Haven't found anything that is not to expensive and comes in normal bottles. I am a small time grower so a small bottle is more then enough.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2015
  20. Discorilla

Alaska Fish Fertilizer is a really good Organic liquid fertilizer. It's about $10 per quart, so $20 for veg and flower.