Ebb N Flo Grow

Discussion in 'Grow Log Forum' started by Midnight Garden, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Midnight Garden

Midnight Garden Excommunicated

It's on now! Finally got my table set up. Thanks to everyone for all of your help and suggestions (CC, JR, OFO, and anyone I forgot). CC, You were right of course about putting the table directly on the res, I took my hempy buckets and "re purposed" them. Three buckets stacked up made the perfect height and left about 3 inches between the table and the res.

Strains - 2 Cheese Quake from clones of my last grow. 4 Cheese Quake from seed, sex unknown.

Three plants from one seed that I grew out, took clones from and do not know what they are (they have been sexed and are females). I do know that they came from a plant that I did outdoors in 2011, then I ran kandy kush, afgoo, devils weed, green crack and sweet dreams. The most likely candidates are green crack or kandy kush, and only because those would have been the only seeds I saved. Since I had no males in that grow one of the plants must have hermied, but curiosity has been killing me ever since I found the seed a couple of months ago so I want to know what it is.

Nutrients - GH 3 part, Useless formula.

Light - 1KW MH for veg, 1KW HPS for flower.

Left row - Unknown, Middle from the top, two cheese quake clones and the bottom one is from seed. Right row, cheese quake from seed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2013
  2. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

shorten that drain line up to like 6-8 inches.....if u keep it that long it has a tendency to slow down the draining because of the back pressure......if u shorten it up and leave it at the top of the FULL res, itll help create more gravity forced o2 and simply drain faster and fill more efficently

Also, you gotta do some type of root zone protection such as panda film over the table, just cut some X's and drop em in the holes.......i use spring clamps to hold mine on with and reuse em over n over

Aaaaand if it were me, id flower them things in a week, NO longer than that, your guna get a nice stretch on em and theyre already like 3ft off the floor, thats also whats insane about the tables man, your bud sizes are guna increase by 30% or so, yield is guna stabilize to a constant almost and the quality due to safe,perfect feedings is guna go thru the roof.......but id flower em sooner than later unless your ready for tying up and big bud issues

3. jr215

jr215 Caged hippie

Looking good buddy. I made a little flood table for my clones in my nursery tent. I'm really liking hydro, in particular ebb and flow. I pump a lot of air into the res and use h2o2 and haven't had any issues in the heat with root rot. My yields have gone up probably 30% over soil! Wait til you do your first run in that table. You'll be hooked too. The empty table is my flowering setup. I'm between grows right now and setting up a new flower box. Still need to hand the panda paper.

nursery.jpg

enf3.jpg

/monthly_2013_01/nursery.jpg.446f6c0a9c99633c3b1e2fc17417ca37.jpg

/monthly_2013_01/enf3.jpg.5a6cbafff08b2479ea3eb3c530144f41.jpg

ResinRubber likes this.
  4. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

looking great MG,

any issues you had so far, any tips you can give me?

What's you head height and whats the minimal you can have?

Also any issues rinsing perlite off?

I kinda thinking of buying something like MrG stuff, or some other Hydroton like product and using that for my next set of clones in "solo cups"...what's your thought on that?

Sorry, but you are doing exactly what I plan on doing so I'm going to be a noob and ask a shit load of questions and steal your ideas!! lol

5. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

[YOUTUBE]kb6ErLPt4t8[/YOUTUBE]

6. nippie

:roffl:

7. Midnight Garden

Thanks for your input JR.

Nippie, no real issues with the perlite. I had an assload of it come loose when I put the plants in the net pot. I"ve watered 4 times now and virtually no perlite has shown up, and I mean there is a lot of it in the net pots. I think the key was putting in the hydro rock up about 2 or 3 inches, setting the root ball on that and then covering around it. I will not worry about transplanting perlite based clones again because it is not an issue. I am about three feet off of the floor and I have 10 foot ceilings.

Res... :rofl6: and it feels good!

Got the panda paper on...

[​IMG]

8. nippie

I'm try to figure out a custom ressy because I'm thinking a basement grow but the ceilings are like 6.5' so i think this may be an issue. I could do it in the bedroom i'm currently using but I'm trying to make the thing look more lived in....if that makes sense. Thinking the basement close to drains, pipes, electric panel, etc etc will make my life easier, but I think the height is going to be an issue.

So the perlite isn't an issue :) That had me worried, makes things a lot easier to switch. Between you and Ofo, making the switch, I guess it's for me to go full tilt....just trying to work on the height, or ressy.....which ever is going to be an easier fix.

Do you use RO or tap?

Do you have any fail safes in place so you don't pull a Chaz? Worried about flooding a little, and I had a hell of RDWC experience with a hose, tile floors, and early AM...didn't turn out well.

I'm getting lazy, I want less work!!!! I wanna a blow by blow with PH issues or anything for the first two weeks...control freak here, that's why I like hempys, you can control everything easily...just a lot of work lately and time...I need more time with my family

9. Midnight Garden

I just use tap water, always have and have never had an issue. I do have hard water so I use the GH hard water micro. I have no fail safe because there is not enough water in the res to flood out. A 3x3 table that is seven inches deep holds 47 gallons of water, my res is only filled to 27 gallons. The ph thing is what concerns me the most, but if I keep it stable there should be minimal issues. Ask all the questions you want, and I'll try to do a detailed post once in a while. Now quit shitting and get off the pot!

Water Volume Calculater

10. nippie

Aye Aye Sir

What's your thought on the ceilings height? Is 6.5 to low from what you can tell.

What about supports...whats your plan?

11. Midnight Garden

You could probably make 6.5 feet work if your table sits on the floor, otherwise probably not. I think it really depends on the strain a lot too. i know if I tried to run either of the purple kf I just did that were in hempy, they would probably get real close to my height limit. The cq, on the other hand, did not grow tall, it grew more short and bushy. I know for a fact having done it a couple of times with some males I had that you can snap a top over and the plant will keep right on going. I haven't thought about supports yet.

12. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

crazy jealous MG.... looks awesome man cant wait to see what u do

13. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

I've been watching the guys doing tables and from what I have gathered is that you can put them into flower at like 12". That should give you plenty of head room. I am guessing that those are/were clones. Also it seems that the vegging time isn't like it used to be. Forget about soil, DWC, RDWC, hempy, what ever. Using tables makes your 4-6 week veg obsolete. From my understanding, after the cloner, just a short 2 week veg. Now don't take all this as written in stone. I'm still trying this out in my head but I'm pretty sure that this is what I've grasped so far.

14. Midnight Garden

Thanks for looking in BB. Lvs, some are from clones and some are from seed. It's going to be a learning experience for sure.

15. Midnight Garden

I was thinking about making a screen from pvc and string and putting it over the table, kind of like a scrog but not really, if that makes sense.

16. CCrete

Once you get in flower, your going to need more than 27 gal.......40 is ideal IMO.......if u can get to a hydro shop, a factorybotonicare brand res is like 75 bucks or less, theyre about 12inches tall, with a lid

The biggest key to health in this system is keeping light out of the res and or table at all costs

As for other folks height concerns, i have a 8ft ceilings as well, no issues

17. Midnight Garden

Thanks CC, I have a cover over the res with about a 3x4 inch hole for the fill and drain lines and electric to go through and my res will for sure hold 40 gallons when the time comes.

18. Midnight Garden

Well, they haven't died yet! I have had two issues so far. The first is I bought a GE model 15079 digital timer for the pump. Avoid this timer like the plague, it's junk. The second issue is the ph. I mixed week two useless formula (veg), I went on the weak side, I mixed for twenty gallons of water when I actually have 27 gallons (ppm came out at 550). So far I have had to add 120ml of ph down over the course of the week to keep it in an acceptable range. That's insane! One thing I have noticed is the ppm has actually risen to 650 now and I have not added any additional water or nutes. I'm going to try mixing the nutes at regular strength on the next cycle and see what happens.

I topped the three on the left, the plan is to let the three on the right catch up height wise and then flip the light to 12/12, probably by the end of next week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. CCrete

lookin good man..

Beware that the ones that u think are guna catch up...arent guna, lol....the overall growth is so much greater for the larger root mass plants, that they go apeshit when they get settled in...just be ready for that.

While the table is in its smaller stage, u gotta try n get some type of netting up around it......personally i have mine go down over the sides a bit too, to catch the straglers that need love too

I start to flower mine at the size those bigger ones are at and under a 600hps, i pull over 20 oz, just to give u an idea...the 1k pulls out maybe 4-8 more strain depending

Also, as much as PPM is super important......i never fuck with it really, i just make sure my PH is good and i stay away for a week

I refill my res, (40gal).....add in about 25ml of ph DOWN while its filling.....then add in my MICRO first, then grow, then bloom, come back about 20-24hrs later and its always spot on at 5.7..5.9 My tap water is about 7 or so in the beginng.........its hard to get a grasp on public water and how it runs a hydro system, the ppms always seem crazy to me.......when i stopped scratching my head and just let it be, i grew the best smoke ive ever had

20. Midnight Garden

Thanks CC. I always mix the nutes in the order you said. I don't know if you remember but you and I went thru this ph exercise at about this same time last year. I was filling the same tub and setting my nutes for an entire week of hempy. I never did get a handle on it and finally said fuck it. As far as your support system, are you saying that you build something similar to a cage around the table for support? I check the ppm of the nutes because all of the strains I have used the useless formula in don't seem to like full strength, about 80 percent seems good, plus it helps me see if they are feeding or watering or both which I am just curious about.

About the smaller plants not catching up...what is interesting to me is the two cheese quake clones. They are both off of the same mother (they are the first and second plants from the top in the middle row) and you can clearly see that the top one is growing good while the middle one is stunted compared to the other one. They have been like this since they started re vegging...

The middle one is the bigger top middle in the table, the one on the right is the smaller one just under the top middle on the table.

[​IMG]