Feds To Grant Exclusive Cannabinoid License To Pharma Firm

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tony Aroma, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Tony Aroma

Tony Aroma Let's Go - Two Smokes!

Why am I not surprised?

Much more in the full article here.

2. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior In The Spirit Realm

:wtf?:they got paid off...fuck those double-standard having pricks up their crusty asses with a GIANT RUBBER DICK:bravo:

fuck the feds, greedy cocksuckers. we ought to cane and hog-tie those fucks and ship 'em off to mexico to act as stage slaves for the donkey shows.

Sounds an awful lot like a monopoly supported by federal thug power though, doesn't it? Last time I checked we have laws to prevent anyone havign a monopoly on any business. In fact, I'm not certain, but I beleive it's a serious federal offense. Or at least USED to be

3. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

This is how the bullshit reads. The state laws being abused by people smokeing for recreation will give the feds the out of letting the pharm industries control mj for legitimate patients claiming there wont be any more abuse of the law.

The pharm companies have just been waiting in the shadows waiting to seize the moment

t6

4. Tony Aroma

Tony Aroma Let's Go - Two Smokes!

Come on, SW, stop holding back. Tell us how you really feel. ;)

Unfortunately, this doesn't fit the definition of an illegal monopoly. There's nothing wrong with a company holding a patent and being the exclusive producer of a particular product. That's the whole point of patents. Patents are even mentioned in the Constitution under the powers granted to Congress:

What is wrong however would be Congress signing over a patent held by the US (i.e., the people) to a single company for their exclusive use. Not being a lawyer, I'd think that the federal government holding a patent would not even be allowed. In effect, we all own that patent.

5. ShadowWarrior

ok, so are they trying to have absolute control over medical marijuana, or just a specific cannabis-related product derived from cannabinoids?

I mean, I can udnerstand trying to prevent abuse from ppl CLAIMING to be sick. It's easy enough to fein an illness requiring MMJ. But if these dickheads are trying to control marijuana.. period.. it aint happening.

I think I probably over-looked some detail here.

6. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Your not overlooking anything sw

If your a mmj patient you go to a doctor he writes you a script and you go to a pharmacy and get it legal end of story.

If your a casual smoker your fucked and go to jail

t6

7. ShadowWarrior

yeah, that's fucked up. I wonder how much trouble I would get in for growing on federal land? National forrests count as federal land, right?

I know they have some nutty rules about not introducing non-native plant/animal species, removing plants and animals building structures' etc... fuck, I've done about all of those except introducing non-native animals.

I've constructed 'permanent' structures. I've introduced non-native plants(mariuana), I've removed animals, I've destroyed plant life in order to build the afformentioned structures, I've driven motorized vehicles on restricted road-ways, and I've removed warning signs of radioactive materials/restricted road-ways.... well... I guess I shouldn't be too worried about having ganja without a pharm supply....

but the people who really NEED it, should be fully permitted to supply themselves however they want and these pricks need to stop trying to baby/nipple-raise the American people.

Obviously people still produce home-made pharmaceuticals, so laws to 'prevent' that are useless. When are these dumbshits just going to enforce the reasonable laws already in place, drop the BS and get off ur backs?

Might as well make a law against murder too. That'd help clean up America's ghettos better than anti-ganja laws... right?:thumbsup:

8. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

The biggest movement for legalizing mj was the recreational users. The premise was because of all the critically ill people that would benefit by the legal use of marijuana for their illness.

I would say it really got out of control or was viewed as out of control as many recreational users would get the weed they wanted legally whether they were actually sick or not from any physician that was greedy for the license and on and on.

So now the feds dont have to listen to all the people claiming the government is denying them mj for their illness.

They can get a licensed physician to give you a script and the only place that will carry it legal to be dispensed to marijuana patients will be a pharmacy.

This will effectively make the pharm companys rich. Do away with the casual smoker, and thumb their nose at casual users saying we shouldnt be smoking it anyway. That its still a drug and should only be used by ill people.:roffl::roffl::roffl:

t6

9. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Used to be. Now it's "Too big to fail."

Tony- The US gov has the right to transfer real or intellectual property.

This was only a matter of time. When AZ and NJ passed their MMJ bills you could see the handwriting of the pharm lobby all over them. Enforcement will be a simple test of the terpine profile. Get caught with weed that doesn't conform to the government patented profile or recognized delivery system and yer fucked.

10. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

Alright, I know this article has pissed yall off, but I got a theory about this. I think it is the easiest political move ever for every branch of government to legalize marijuana....follow me here.

(I would like to preface with: that article was horribly one sided and more research should have been done other than accusatory obvious contraries. :bong2:)

1. OK. If they sell the patent to medical marijuana to one company that means they acknowledge that it has medicinal value.

2. If they acknowledge that it has medicinal value, they have to reclassify it to be in tune with the law (allowing the company to grow it).

3. If they reclassify it, the laws governing owning a medicine not prescribed are not that harsh, MOSTLY. I am talking like kids don't go to jail for one codeine pill, just in trouble. So law wise you would still get in just as must trouble with marijuana as you would now. No increase or decrease.

4. Once the first guy gets caught growing his own, legitimately, there will be a court case that will make it to the Supreme Court. While it is illegal to make opium, it is not illegal in most cases to grow the actual plant as long as you don't process it (This can be debated, I know it, but general idea here). This will probably be the same determinations from the courts if the case went that high up.

5. Most drug patents have a period of which they are owned by the patent holder for a certain amount of years, and then "generics" are allowed. I am sure the process to be a "generic" provider will be a bitch, but it will be doable.

6. Considering the time table here, this certainly could be a logical way for both the Republicans and Democrats to fix the pot issue (which they all know needs to fixed, they want the revenue) with out straight out supporting the issue thus satisfying their base. I am not talking conspiracy theory or anything, but games are played in all industries, more so in politics.

11. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

I dont see them following a road plan like that lion fuck the way it is now they dont read any laws before passing them anyway:roffl::roffl::roffl::roffl:

t6

12. HeadCase

HeadCase Old Prick

How do they get a patent license for a plant GOD already has it ? -Bud

I don't give a shit about the dispensaries they are nothing but drug dealers making as much money as they can. They call it medicine my ass if it was medicine then cut the price because I can get my blood pressure medicine for $7 a month . Dispensaries are in it for the money not to help the sick. Grow your own -Bud

13. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

The patent is probably for some concentrated form of marijuana, like the cannaboid pills or sprays. But because you have to grow pot to make those, it would give the patent holder the ability to do so.

14. Stash2.0

Stash2.0 Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

Move to a medstate....overgrow the government...be a soldier in the war on civil liberties...

15. ShadowWarrior

What you've said there does make sense, Lion. HOWEVER, if they wanted to help the sick, weren't concerned with lining their pockets and sucking corporate dick they could just say 'fuck it, grow it smoke it, anti's eat shit.. yadda yadda yah".. but reasonable regualtion, like not driving stoned for instance can still be instated. They could grow huge fields of government sponsored ganja and package it with cute little rastafarian bunny rabbit logo's and sell the snot out of it AND tax it.

But yeah, it's politics.. gotta find a middle ground and pretend trying to please everyone

16. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

The patents are for strains with recognized consistent thc, terpine and cannabinoid profiles.

Stash-everybody who grows, no matter where they are, is acting in civil disobedience. But, I sure would like to be on the Colo bandwagon someday.

17. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

How are they going to know when someone is driving high? They can't test for it like they can with a field breathalyzer. Until they can test for cannabis intoxication instantly in the field the anti-pot people will always use the driving thing to fear monger. I've made this point several times in the past, but no one ever seems to get it.

You got that right, Rez. :thumbs-up:

18. ShadowWarrior

you're right as aways hank, I don't get it.

It was just an example. Maybe not a good one, but whatever

19. Stash2.0

Stash2.0 Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

9 nanograms....you think they cant draw blood ? The technology is there guys... secondly the police employees drug recognition experts...my step father is one...his testimony is law..he says you are high then you are...

20. ShadowWarrior

:eusa_eh: well then... I guess I should go ahead and stop pretending to be fucked up when i get pulled over.:kidding: