Finally got the balls to start my grow room

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by newbuds, Jun 4, 2014.

1. newbuds

newbuds Flowering

Grow tent is 8×4 ×6 is a 2×4 t5 light sufficient enough for 7 plants?

2. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

Seven small plants that honestly and unfortunately won't yield anything worth your time, effort, expense, and risk. 8foot by 4 foot is big. I always either ran two 1ks or sometimes 4 600s in a similar sized room. Not saying that's what you should do by any means you'd be getting way in over your head. If you used two 4 foot 8 bulb t5s you could get something for sure. Though its flo so don't expect too large of yields . LEDs are getting pretty good and pretty user friendly however expensive and should probably have a couple grows under your belt and start forming your skill base before all that. Cheapest best thing would be a 600W hps or 400w hps. Still you have way too much layout for either of those lamps. But HPS can be difficult to cool if you don't setup your exhaust and intake right. So simple got to crawl before you walk. If you listen, learn, and apply what some of this site's members have to offer who knows depending on you may find out you were born to "run". LOL

3. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

While they're small that's plenty. Those t5, high output, are pretty damn bright.. If you're getting it from a grow shop get the bulbs just for vegging. And don't let the size fool ya, those little suckers get pretty hot. If you're using the 54 watt high output (HO). But you'll need a little more as they get some size to them.

and like Skunky suggested, be looking at a stout HPS or two, or some LEDs to pump up some healthy buds in the end. If you've got the funds, some 'good' LEDs would be a good long term investment.

Be Cool, CG

4. newbuds

newbuds Flowering

thank you both for the input, this is my first project but not last once I get the hang of it I will be stepping it up. Strawberry couch and casey widow are my first in line then id like to get some recommendation on several thing from this site. I love learning from the pros

5. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

newbuds, is that a 4 bulb t5 light set up, or a 2 bulb Light set up?

Both members are giving good advice. Since this is your first grow, and your using a tent I would suggest that you set up your tent and lights and have a test run where the lights and fan and exhaust are all running like you have plants growing in the tent. A 24hr dry test run so to speak. Then you can see what your hi temps are running and make any adjustments needed before you put plants in there and accidently cook them:5eek:

Your just learning, so you don't want to set yourself up for frustrations and failure.

Heres the link to a LED grow from skunky.

http://forum.growkind.com/showthread.php?t=48065

6. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

:-welcome-: newbuds!

is that a 4, 6 or 8 bulb t5? They will all grow plants, the more light the faster.

7. newbuds

newbuds Flowering

4 bulb now might just get 2 4 bulb t5

8. skunky

What are your ideas of yield? Just curious.

9. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

Instead of this ^, I'd get a 600 HPS for flower. You won't get much if your going to use t5s for flower.

10. friendlyfarmer

An all floro grow, veg and flower, will yield significantly less bud compared to an equivalent HPS light for flowering. Nobody really flowers with floros unless they can't use LED or HPS for some reason.

11. newbuds

newbuds Flowering

Ill be switching lighting for flowering have 4 week to plan it out ill be posting pic of the project

12. newbuds

newbuds Flowering

As for yield idk im more worried about quality at this point. So if you guy have pointer on getting the best quality out of it ill be taking all your input an applying it to project

13. friendlyfarmer

:coool:

If yield wasn't the top priority, I'd flower two plants in 5 gallon smart pots using RR dirt under a 1000W HPS in your sized space. Most forgiving for a first timer and least setup engineering.

14. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Hey newbud, FF makes a good point. If your more concerned with quality for now, you may want to start out with like 4 plants , since your using Femmed seeds. That way once you get your first grow going, and you have some experience under your belt you can crank it up a little.

There is always a learning curve.

Also depending on the heat build up in your tent you may need to add AC to the room the grow tent is in. Temps can be a killer if it get's to hot.

For me the temps run about 10 to 15 degrees warmer than the air temp in the home. So if outside your room is 75 degrees it could be 85 of higher in the grow tent. That's to hot:5eek:. You want to try and keep the temps no higher than 80 degrees if possible. My room runs between 75 and 80 degrees. Higher temps equal lighter fluffy buds. You want hard buds which means better quality and more weight in the end. :thumbsup:

15. newbuds

newbuds Flowering

Right now its 86 degree in room alone trying to figure how to cool room off cause it gonna be impossible to run ac in that room with with the 1000 w hps on at same time suck living in and old house and yes you guy convinced me to get better lighting

16. newbuds

newbuds Flowering

my new baby the raptor 61000w Hps its heavy another crap I have to figure out lol

20140609_202104.jpg

/monthly_2014_06/20140609_202104.jpg.c39bf06b618ed3d13f22ed0496a90cfa.jpg

17. skunky

Too help yourself with heat just vent the exhaust out of the room like into the attic or crawl space. In the past I've been able to run 1k in a closet type setup with air cooled hood and an 8" centrifugal fan. Could go 10" for good measure if you wanted. Then you could probably get away with a fan speed control and turn out up or down a little as needed.

18. friendlyfarmer

yeah. what skunky said.

Ideally, each grow space would have two fans. One cools the lights and can be a closed system, meaning it takes air from outside the room and sucks it through the ducting the lights are in, and blows it out without ever circulating within the room itself. This fan can be on a timer or thermostat to turn on and off with the lights since it's only function is to cool the lights. The second fan is the air scrubber/air exchange fan that is hung in the room attached to a carbon filter with little or no ducting - just sucks air thru the filter and blows it out of the room. This second fan can be on a thermo too, or speed controller for hand setting. Point is you can adjust the air exchange rate independent of the lights, thus helping control temps and the environment, enabling the use of CO2 etc. Your tent is probably set up for this.

It is possible to use one fan to both cool the lights and provide air exchange and stink control. I did just that for years. However I have found it easier and more effective to use two separate fans - one for cooling lights and one for controlling air exchange and filtering stink.

A thing about venting - if you vent into a crawl space or attic or other inside dead space make sure there's a outlet for THAT space too. Attics are usually big enough and well vented enough to not back up your fan, but crawl spaces maybe not. Ultimately you want to get the air outta your house.

19. newbuds

newbuds Flowering

Yeah I got 2 420cfm fan coming and a filter most definitely day 1 starts on weds ,gonna need alot of advise on what food to use, im glad you guy are here to walk me thru especially when I run into problems.

20. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Like ff mentioned try to find a way out of the house with as little resistance as possible. You'll move more air, keeping the light cooler and won't work the fan too hard. You mentioned being in an old house. I grow in an old, old, house and I exhaust the air through the chimneys. Just make sure they're not clogged so the air moves easily. I use a 480cfm on each pair of 600w and works fine.

And MrG is exactly right about the heat. Those few degrees can make a big difference. When it starts getting 85 tword 90 with no CO2 the plants almost shut down and save their resources. You may consider some CO2 in the future.

It all starts coming together and making sense after a few grows under your belt. Everybody learns something with every grow and every problem has a solution so just don't overwhelm yourself right off the bat.

Be Cool, CG