First time post: Big issues!

Discussion in 'Pests and Plant Problems' started by rougetigre, Feb 11, 2009.

1. rougetigre

rougetigre Germinated

lol, I noticed that too and edited the photos as an afterthought. As I said, new to this. Could you please remove that info from your post? I would really appreciate it. It isn't anything damning, but anything is a pain. Thanks!

2. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

Got ya done and done.

3. rougetigre

rougetigre Germinated

I'm also new to this, what is a CFL? Am I missing something? You also missed one in your post! Sorry to be anal!

EDIT: Fixed the backwards issue, blame Firefox.

4. Confused420

Confused420 Full Flowering

that light you got looks like a standard light bulb it is worthless that light explains the light color that light is not giving off the right kind of light you might as well have them in a dark closet spend some time on here looking at the stuff about lights there is sooooooooooo much info i the fourm about lights just gotta read, if you spend 2 hours on this foum looking at just stuff about lights you will be amazed at what is on here just about that topic.

a cfl is one of thse spiral flourecent lights that screw into a reg. lamp socket

5. rougetigre

rougetigre Germinated

Thanks for the advice. It is late and I can't go out but I found a 13 W 800 Lumens CFL bulb in the house. Hopefully it will be better than nothing. I'll peruse the lighting forums in a bit, thanks for the nice tip! So much for the "indoor plant bulb".

6. NeonLights

NeonLights Excommunicated

The thing with the CFLs is that they need to be right on top of the plants. Like an inch or two away. Otherwise it is useless as well. You need to go to Home Depot and get some sockets for the bulbs and figure a way to mount them right on top of the plants. Otherwise they will stretch up, fall over, and die.

7. rougetigre

rougetigre Germinated

Neon, is it safe to have the bulb that close? If not a CFL, what would you suggest?

8. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

If you're sceptical re: any advice, then do your homework...READ!

9. Dank Vapor

Dank Vapor Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

A CFL can touch the plant if you got a fan blowing on it. Basically place your hand just above the plant and move the light closer until you feel the heat from it. A fan will keep it cool and you can be even closer.

Before you go any further with your grow, read read read all the FAQs man as its been said. It will save you a ton of headaches early on and answer a lot of the questions you have and just may prevent a whole lot of untimely seedling deaths.

What you should know ASAP:

-What the different lights are used for primarily HPS, MH, and Flouros (CFL & T's), know the wattage/lumens you need per sqft, light cycle times for veg growth and flowering.

-Basic plant stresses and issues like overwatering, overfertilizing, etc, very common mistakes with newer growers.

-How to tell a male from a female.

-When you need to worry about fertilizers and what are the signs that some may be needed.

-Get a pH tester, either the capsule or electrode version for soil and know the optimal pH range for soil.

-Get a thermometer/humidity combo for the grow area for temps and humidity.

-Options for ventilation and odor control.

10. Guerilla Family

Guerilla Family Serious Guerilla Farmer

CFLS, Kelvin, FAQ

I second, what Skunky has suggested.. I just ordered myself (2) 105w CFLS.. CFL is short for Compact Flourescent Lamps.

Here is the exact link I ordered mine from. 1000bulb.com is very professional, and I recieved my order in only 5 days!

Compact Flourescent Lamps are smaller versions of standard flourescent lamps. They consume MUCH less energy.

Lights have color "temperatures" (Kelvin). Look for this when purchasing grow lights. A full spectrum CFL is the type that you want for growing. They will have a Kelvin rating of 5000-6500. These are the ones you want.

More than likely that Kelvin rating on the CFL you found laying around your house, isnt the right spectrum. CFL's used around the house are generally 2k-3.5k.

Here is a link to a Kelvin Temperature Chart. Check it out.

You have just picked up a very exciting and rewarding hobby, But there is lots of reading and research that goes along with it. Growing good dope isnt achievable by ANYONE. You gotta put in the work to reap successful benefits.

It may take time to get a knack for your new hobby, but be patient, and read every bit of information on growing you can possibly find!

Heres a link to the FAQ. START HERE.

There's tons of useful information on the FAQ, as well as many experienced growers here, that are willing to help you along the way!

GFam

11. Guerilla Family

CFLS, Kelvin, FAQ

Sorry, double post. My finger had a little click fit! ;)

Feel free to delete.

12. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

You sound like me, when I first lit mine! :rofl:

13. Guerilla Family

Man, they are more than I expected, thats for sure. It's just too bad I have these pesky maintenance men lurking around. As soon as they take care of these damn ceiling tiles, I can finally put em to use!

GFam

14. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead