GH 3 part - Useless' formula

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Cultivation' started by Useless, May 30, 2009.

1. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

So with the GH and the buffers they have its a bit of a juggling act at times. I always prepared res solution and let it set for no less than 4 hours, typically do it a day ahead of time, before ever trying to adjust the pH. Always added micro first then grow and bloom. The buffers in the GH at least when I was using it were pretty damn slow acting. Also, there really isn't a fool proof way of managing the pH after being added because the swing is going to be dependent on a plants intake. So due to that I would always try to group either the same clones or similar feeding type plants to a res to reduce and manage pH drift as much as I could because you will then be able to develop an idea of what will be occurring with each res.

After I moved a quit really posting on here I was using the pure blend pro stuff for a while with great results and with another buddy i was helping he was using GHs floralicious that's entirely different.

I'll tell you one thing though right now I'm using the AN pH perfect Sensi 2 part and man this has been the easiest I've ever used. reminds me of those RonCo commercials for rotisserie ovens, "Set it and FORGETTTT ITTTTT!". LOL Seriously though two other old buddies/partners had been used it and strongly suggested I check it out, both of them are running tables though. One is using the 3 part pH perfect with the grand master kit the other just the 3 part with bud candy(only because he said he thinks it did improve the taste some). They both love it and both were GH users prior and we all used the same method here. Since I was going to venture coco I went with the pH perfect Sensi coco. Eve mixing at half strengths pH goes right to 5.8. You can try manipulating it but have fun, I tried for fun and within minutes it would correct it self using both strong acids and bases to try and induce drift. Will be hard for me to truly judge since I went all LED for this small personal project. But I've seen their product and I had no complaints. So interested to see what these LEDs and AN pH perfect can do for me.

2. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

im pretty well versed on the MPBs.....me and a buddy run his 4pot Under current system and have seen some killer results under 4k of light, little less than 6lbs is the top out of 6 runs so far, typically around 4.5-5 tho

I think my issue was light and heat as well but now I have a 1/2hp chiller and can do a real run once the stars align again in a bigger space someday

3. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

In the formula it states "I suggest using the hardwater micro in place of the regular micro if your tap water is over 200 ppm total or you have over 70 ppm Ca."

Not sure what is meant by 200 PPM total? Is "Over 70 PPM Ca" refer to calcium? I tested my tap water and it is ph of 8. So should I use the hardwater micro for my DWC set up?

4. Grown in Tx.

Grown in Tx. Locked and Loaded

if you have city water its already treated with softeners and chlorine you use the regular micro, if your out in the county on a well that is not treated that is usually considered hard water. the ppm he talking about is for the dissolved solids in your water, calcium, lime and such

5. Justcheckingitout

Thanks man, I got the right one then.

6. CCrete

I use tap and use the regular, hardwater doesn't really make a huge difference, you just use less PH down product to move your PH around, If I did a 40gal ressy change with week 4 nute numbers in flowering, i'd add in 50ml of ph DOWN to make the ph a solid 5.2-5.5 within the next 12-14hours.....then she'll stay stable and slowly rise throughout the week, hopefully all the way up to 6.0 or so.....that means they're eating well during that timeframe.....when u keep the same PH all week, its not necessarily a good thing, they're probably just drinking water during that time, which means your enviorment is off, more so humidity is probably way low

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2014
  7. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

200 ppm total is a measure of "parts per million" of any dissolved impurity in your water. Only fresh reverse osmosis water is 0 ppm or close to it. What Useless is saying is if your plain water starting out already has a shit ton of dissolved minerals and other crap, and then you add a shit ton more of nutrients, the nutrient solution at your roots is gonna choke those roots and they won't feed. You'll get a ton of nutrient deficiency symptoms but it's not lack of food, it's lockout and the roots can't take ANY nutrients up. That's why he gives PPM levels at each stage.

I don't track PPM levels, because I don't have a meter. But it's a useful tool in diagnosing problems. Lots of folks run hydro without having meters, but you should know where you are starting in terms of PPMs in your plain tap water.

ppms for Ca refers to the parts per million of calcium in the solution.

8. Justcheckingitout

If I only wanted to veg my clones for two weeks, should I skip the third week mix and just go to week 4 mix? Or use week 3 for first week of flower and go from there?

9. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

If vegging for just 2 weeks and then going into flower you would start week 1 of flowering nutes for the 3rd week since you are now going into flower. I think Mrg uses week 3 veg for his first week in flower. But the rest of us are not Mrg.

Now there is some part of your question that is strange. "should I skip third week mix and just go to week 4 mix?"? If using the Useless formular for vegging, there is no week 4 mix. You run week 3 for however many weeks you want to veg.

10. CCrete

I generally use week 2 for all my veg plants..

11. Justcheckingitout

Yeah, I was meaning the week 4 of the formula which was week 1 of flower.

So I what I meant was should I skip week 3 of veg and go to week 1 of flower.

I see what you mean, I figured it was something like that, but didn't know what everyone else does that might only veg clones for 2 weeks, I have about 10-12" clones by end of week two (Old soil set up) which will give me a good "Smaller" plant for flower, I only have about 5' tall space to flower, so I have to keep them low and bushy.

Since this is my first DWC set up, I might veg for 3 week, depending on the hight.

12. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

With that low height I would put them in soon doing DWC. They grow big. If I were you I would put them in under 18 inches.

13. GR8420

GR8420 Germinating

Well put. I do the same ratios and numbers and have beautiful WW girls.

14. Justcheckingitout

Mother Plants in soil?

So if I keep a mother plant in soil, will I use week 3 of veg nutes as the weekly fert base? If so, do I use it every time I water?

Also I have a plant in soil I started from seed and it's about two weeks into veg now out of the clone dome, now using (400w MH) can I just jump to week 2 of the veg nutes for it? I had used another organic food for the first two weeks.

15. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

CC feeds with week 2 mix. I feed with week 3 mix, and I feed every watering except every month or so I'll give them a good flush of plain water to reduce salt buildup.

Answer to Q2 is YES.

16. Justcheckingitout

Thanks man, you guys rock!

17. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

Yeah, I also use week 3 for all my vegging and moms. And yes you can use week 2 for the new plant. You may want to start it a little lite on the nutes tho until you know it will handle full strength.

18. Justcheckingitout

Keeping this thread alive I started week 2 of bloom today, best dam way to great buds with out breaking the bank in nutes.

19. OldSmokey

OldSmokey Registered Users

Still working for me!

20. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

The lucas formula works better imo, lot less hassle too.