growing weed the poor mans way

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by fuzzybeans, May 29, 2010.

1. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

Dude! You may be right, but why risk it? Faulty bulb, wiring and FIRE!!!

Fuck That!

2. dooobster

dooobster A Fat Sticky Bud

I'm not even gonna sugar-coat it... If you don't have at least SOME money to spend on a decent growing environment (aka decent lighting, quality nutrients, fans for ventilation / circulation) you're not going to yield much in the way of smokeable herb, straight up.

Sure, it's a weed, but growing it indoors requires a proper environment... Proper temperatures, a light-tight cabinet or growing box (light-tight meaning when it's night-time in the box, there is NO outside light leaking in), properly timed photoperiod for vegetation / flowering, fresh air coming in, hot stale air being pulled out...

You can't just throw some dirt in a flowerpot, sit it on a windowsill and expect to harvest something. With so many variables, you're going to end up with stretchy stems with little to no branching / growth tips / flowering tops, and if the plant does reach sexual maturity by some remote chance, it's more than likely going to be a hermaphrodite.

I'm not even being a dick... I'm just telling you what you need to know.

Your little experiment will be fun for you, and most likely a learning experience... So, go with it, do what you can with what you have... Post pics if you can, because we would all like to see how it goes!

3. ScottyG420

ScottyG420 Marijuana Handler

risk

meh. chalk it up to occupational hazard.

:roffl:

4. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

I'D rather not.! :lmao:

5. rollin2techno

rollin2techno cL053t Gr0w3r

It doesn't take a ton of $$$ to grow decent buds with a minimal setup but if you're not gonna do it right, why even bother?

6. MrOrange965

MrOrange965 Pollinating Females

I think alot of us started out just planting a few seeds for fun, having no what idea what you are doing (i know i did). Like others said at the very least you're going to need some compact fluorescents to get any smoke. Just spend all your spare time here reading up and you'll be growing good buds in no time. This is the best growing site i've found, so you have come to the right place. good luck

7. qwert

qwert Established Healthy Roots

mommy, you looked inside my mind, a bucket is a fine idea and i was looking into it since im growing tomatoes and i wish i had more soil in my pots. my tomatoes are getting really big now, the pots really small.

the light is a none issue, i would go around several places and look for an old lamp and fix it, as long as you dont have to replace the ballasts it should be ok, and people discard them when they remodel.

some fluorescent ballasts are not cheap specially the 40ws.

its important to choose the right bulbs for the lamp.

if you can't afford the electric bill that's another story.

8. greenthumbwhitethumb

greenthumbwhitethumb down w the moral majority

[​IMG]

this is my mother plant i keep bonsaied in my bedroom closet. if i wanted to flower her, all i have to do is go 12/12 light cycle. (granted, with that size bulb, i won't get a stellar yield, but she WILL produce.)

seriously, you can do this for $10. that clip light is about $6 at Home Depot, plus 1 CFL bulb, 100W, just the regular kind you throw in a light in your house, and a decent bag of potting soil WITH NO FERTILIZERS IN IT (don't want to burn your plants on the get-go).

i get trying to be cheap, but stop being stupid. the setup you see above - cheap. not free, but damn near. hell, you might already have all of this in your closet/garage. keep the light no more than a foot away, keep your plant watered. if you feel skippy, get some basic natural fertilizer and throw that on there once a month, nice and diluted so your plant doesn't become a wimp.

the tents, lights, ventilation, and all that shenanigans.... that's for the folks that like some fat ass buds - they have a goal. you're just trying to grow a little smoke, but you have to put a little effort into it. if you don't, you're wasting your time. and ours. we're trying to help.

peace

GTWT

:XXhippylove:

9. xxStrifexx

xxStrifexx Developed Alternating Nodes

I'm going to say pretty much the same as everyone else.

Get a couple CFL (Compact Fluorescent Lights, should be able to get 100watt equiv at stores) I Paid $10 for a 4 pack. (I don't know how much that is for you unfortunately) Put them above a plant, and watched it grow.

You'll also want to work on getting some soil, and other containers to separate your plants(as others have stated). Anything works, Even clear plastic cups (just tape them or paint them so light doesn't get to the roots)

Lights & Soil are your priority. Neither can be chosen as more important in your case, considering you have multiple seeds popped in 1 container.

Since it'll take roughly a month or two (depending on how long you're wanting to let it veg) I'm sure you can come up with some sort of money to get a few basic nutrients. Honestly, you only really need some Nitrogen for vegging just incase the leaves start to yellow.

I started with 4 lights, then had 8, then 12, etc. Flowered and all. Ended up getting a little over 2oz from 12CFLs, A fan, and a $10 timer ghetto-rigged in my closet.

Patients, and willing to learn, and a little bit of $ will do you good. Read the FAQs. They'll help alot.

If someone has the link to the MJ Grow books list, they have some that take you step by step how to set everything up, take care of the plants, and all for extremely cheap.

enough with my rambling though.. im high and going on and on. idk what im saying anymore.

10. lukesmommy

lukesmommy "lil doobie"

Anything can be done with little to no money... Don't be so tough on this guy fellas...

Peace

-LM

11. lukesmommy

lukesmommy "lil doobie"

Hey Qwert!

Ya, if he can get holes in the bottom for drainage, a lil ventilation, something to cover the light (for dark- lights out time), some dirt, and a light, weed can be grown. It won't be the dankest dank EVAR, but it will be pot none the less!

Remember my first grow? Not too much $$$ put into it AT ALL! And i got a few decent plants- all from bagseed and cfls. I had no clue what i was doin, but i still grew some mj!

It can be done!

Peace

-LM

12. NOTthatTIGER

NOTthatTIGER Developed Alternating Nodes

:band::guitar5::guitar3::bananas::bananas:

and besides, fuzzy, did ya see how healthy GTWT's little bonsai-d mother plant was?....10 dollar bulb, (i know, it's a million when ya got nuthin')

and that lamp are by the millions in any attic, garage, yer old mans reading room...(oops,, there i go tellin' you to steal again!!, lol(JOKING resin rubber, i got yer point :not-worthy: )