HPS vs MH for veg...

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by RecessionGrower, May 10, 2010.

1. I got a switchable 1000w. I have only ever grown under HPS, but I was just wondering if picking up a 1000w MH bulb will make the purchase cost effective?

Thanks in advance!

2. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

you will get better results vegging on mh verses hps. Flower on hps.

:beerchug-2:

Teamster6

3. luvtogrow

luvtogrow Veggy Stage

Absolutely if smaller wattage than 1000w. Good to ramp up watts in flower (imo) Personally, i'd get it if i needed a spare bulb(never go into grow without backups), otherwise would probably just use flouros as long as possible. I grow for 2 weeks with floros, switch to 400mh for veg and flower with 3X600hps. The flouros give a great nonstressful start and will get you much greater under growth and less stretch early than big watts. MH too, super under development and keep plants shorter. Flowering with a 1000mh(if backup needed), won't hurt!

4. Serenity420

Serenity420 Begun Flowering

i veg with HPS , i found that with HPS you'll get shorter distance inbetween nodes , great for height issues, also tends to be a bushier healthier looking plant under HPS, i dont bother with MH.

thats just my 2 cents :passsit:

5. Yeah, unless I come into some extra $$ I think im just going to veg with HPS as I have in the past unless I come across a good cheap MH bulb.

6. wwboy

wwboy pro grow!

wwboy

In heads mag volume 8 page 36 ed rosenthal says mh should be replaced with hps....better growth with hps........personaly I switch to mh light durring the last 3 wks to up my tric developemernt.

7. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

To each his own I guess but I can tell you if you veg them on hps you will get too much stretch. Take a look at my grow thread. You will see the results vegging on mh then switching to hps.....................

:beerchug-2:

Teamster6

8. ncmaineac

ncmaineac Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

some of you guys kill me...

this shouldnt even be a q anymore...tests and results have proven it...mh is best for the vegging period and hps is better for flowering...its a light spectrum thing...as for flowering with mh the last three weeks...lol..youve got to be kidding me right...

you can do what ever you want...but those are the facts...just the facts...

have a good day

wwboy, i hope you mean change to hps after you have vegged your plants...i am sure thats what you mean...

RecessionGrower likes this.
  9. Serenity420

Serenity420 Begun Flowering

no disrespect teamster,

But from what i have read and from my own experience , HPS does just the opposite, in fact i vegged the one i have in flowering right now under HPS and it was a compact bushy lil biotch lol ...

but like you said to each his own.

10. stickyicky24

stickyicky24 Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Not even close in my experience. In all honesty I think the exact opposite of what your results show. My MH gets me shorter node spacing and bushier plants with thicker stems as well. And I love my Eye Blue Daylight.

11. spinkler

spinkler Game On!

Don't forget that there are many other factors that could contribute to stretch other than the spectrum of your lighting...

There's a lot of good information on lighting (and other stuff) in the Overgrow FAQ - Check out "What is color temperature of a bulb?" for some solid info. From what I understand it's been firmly proven that each spectrum contributes greatly to different stages of growth as described in the article.

Hope this helps. :thumbs-up:

12. Useless

Useless Diogenes Reincarnate

Call me sacrilegious, but my experience goes right along with Serenity.

HPS produces tighter nodes, and thicker stems and more side branching than MH.

Just sayin...

13. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

I'd like to read your "facts".........I disaggree

Can i see them?

Seems more of an opinion

14. RkyMtnWayHigh69

RkyMtnWayHigh69 2010 NAGC Winner

Useless is sacrilegious!:tongue:

15. virago420

virago420 Excommunicated

Since you know the 'facts' so well it seems you would know that added UV-B in flower is proven to produce more trichomes.

Regarding MH vs HPS for veg Ive got no experience here so I cant say. However during the seedling stage my results proved that 6500K CFLs did keep the stretch down vs vegging under 2700K. But that was just my experience.

Personally Ive never had a problem with stretch other than seedling stage. IME stretch is directly related to intensity more so than spectrum. Just my 2 cents.

Peace -V420

16. wwboy

wwboy pro grow!

wwboy

ncmaineac.....seems as if there is a few persons who would say otherwise????some even said they had just as bushy plants without mh lighting durring veg...perhaps its your strain??? ive grown some indicas that will have 1 inch internodes under the hps and some mixes that will stretch out more...ill argue with ya all day if ya want but hps can and will perform fantastic in veg...done over and over again for at least the last 10 yrs...you do what ya want ...i only gave my oppinion...however uscless seems to concure and hes not to shabby of a grower so perhaps jist take the comment for what it was..

17. wwboy

wwboy pro grow!

wwboy

ncmaineac....as for if im kidding you or not on if i switch to mh durring the last three ..(NO) im not kidding...why would you assume im kidding??? i just said that i did that???are you kidding??im sure you read it right /i didnt type in some shit by accident...so i wasnt kidding...thats what i do ..its what works best and ive done this for yrs...if you dont agree then cool but dont say am i kidding cause im not!! i do this(no kidding)!!

18. Dixie Hicky

Dixie Hicky Excommunicated

Thiws may weird y'all out...but Im pretty happy using a 90 w. LED for vegging! Im serious! I bought the UFO before I first started growing and before I started reading this Forum...felt REAL stupid for having paid aslmost 500 bucks for the damn thing (I was seduced by the advertising,"Equivalent to a 600w HPS!". LOL...god, am I dumb. Well, anyway, turned out it aint worth shit for flowering, but is damn fine for vegging! Plus, at just 90 watts, doesnt use all that much power. Whatever....since I HAVE it, I USE it...and by golly damn hell...the lill purple SOB actually does a fine job of vegging up to nine plants at a time. I hung it in my downstairs shower....veg there, then move the plants tio my garage under the 600w HPS to flower. So far, so good.

Actually, I can flower with it...but the buds are smaller, by far, than the HPS can do. Still...IF I was, say living in a sitch where I had to go real stealthy and had no desire but to produce enough smoke for myself...WTF, I'd go with the little UFO, grow maybe two plants and be ok. Like if I was living in a college dorm or with my parents or some shit and needed a cheap, super low-key way to produce myself some smoke. Id use my little UFO to veg four or five, cull out my males, then flower two females, even tho the buds might be a bit smallish....hey, Id still have weed.

Dixie

19. ncmaineac

ncmaineac Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

wwboy

i thought you were kiddin as i have never heard of that..i wonder if anyone else does...i have been growing since 1967 and never heard of using mh lights the last 3 weeks...thats why...dont get you panties in a wad....

does any one else use mh the last 3 weeks..i would be interested in knowing???

if it works better i am willing to try for sure...even though i have been growing a long time i am always interested in trying new things...the light subject has been pretty much decided a while ago...mh for veggin or hps for vegging...then hps for flowing...its a matter of light spectrum...whats best for the plants from what light source at what point in growth.....

one thing about stoners...just when someone says it works this way or that way there are lots of opinions to the contrary......and my is just one..like everyones....

wwboy...glad that works for you but if i were you i would give the hps another chance for the last 3 weeks...you might find out it works better...like most here....

hey chris...i noticed you didnt say what you use for lights..i was just wondering if you use mh the last 3 weeks as well???? thanks for lettin me know....and there are lots of lighting threads here at gk to read about lighting if you want...good lluck

pss wwboy...i was just rereading and i agree with both you and useless...that hps does a great job for veggie growth ..i was questioning your 3 weeks on the end of flowering....not that hps works for veggin..i have never owned a mh bulb..i use cfl then hps at 3 weeks vegging..sorry for the confusion...