i know i harvest when hairs turn amber, but...

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by Evil Ways, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Mr. Wakenbake

Mr. Wakenbake Latae Sententiae Excommunication

I have heard that the 14/10 light cycle helps the buds pack on weight the last two weeks and pack on resin, as the THC glands swell with resin..

ALso heard that keeping them in the dark does the same thing if you keep em dark the last 48-72 hours..I may try the 14/10 thing on this crop to see..I will experiment for you guys how about that?we'll see if it helps, but i won't have a 12/12 to compare it to until further on into the future after my mom is established...

2. trillions of atoms

trillions of atoms Latae Sententiae Excommunication

thats all hype- ive done it 5 cycles plus with no difference in finished product.

3. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

I'll try it out and i'll be sure to let ya know GTD, and herb you are absolutely correct THC is limited to the gentic capabilities of the plant. I think this is possibly just a placebo effect by using more light hours to convert more THC to CBD and CBN's and thus give you the more "DUH" effect since those chemicals when broken down make you feel more lazy than the conversion from THC to these canabinoids, also what i want to do is see if i can try this a second time with identical clones and lengthen the last week of flower then do a 3 day dark period to get rid of the extra carbohydrates the plant has been producing and see how much that helps. Herb, GTD, trill or any other experienced growers if you can think of any other testable variables that might be included in these experiements, either post your ideas or PM me and see if we can't implement a few things, who knows we might stumble across a good proveable technique!

4. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

Trial and error. :punk:

I think you got it all covered 'Professor Skunky'.:5magnify:

5. smokphattys

smokphattys Guest

;-) <::::::::>~~

6. WiZaRD

WiZaRD Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

Just so you guys know, I recently put up a post called "When To Harvest - Trichome Colour" Or something along those lines, if you do a search for "Trichome Colour" NOT color, you will find it. It's like a 60x magnification of the Trichome's and details on Clear, Milky, Amber, and Half and Half. It's a good reference.

7. skunky

Alright just got done trimming up some stuff for this little experiment, and UBB i hate to tell ya man that it didn't do shit. Heres what i did, 4 plants all from the same mom two of each in seperate rooms, one on 12/12 the other on 14/10 for the last week. At the end of the last week I added three days, so one plant from each litght cycle got taken out of the rooms and thrown in a dark closet for the 3days. At the end of that time i tagged and labeled all plants before cutting to help seperate after they were out of their marked containers. Conclusions, ok this was all done with skunk#1xCali O, The plants given the extra day light don't appear to have any more trichs than the other plants on 12/12. The plants from the extra lighting did appear to have slight more weight and looked a little crazy like the top of the buds had a bunch of small buds shooting out like spikes. Though they didn't really weigh much more, the deviation from 14/10 to 12/12 was about only 2-6g per plant difference. The plant that yielded most was given the 14/10 light schedule and not given the 3 day dark period, the next higest was the 12/12 plant not given the 3 day dark period, and the lowest yielding being from the 14/10 given the 3 day dark period. Now fro the plants given the extra dark what did they get extra, nothing just extra water to take longer drying, fucking sux won't do that again! So the 14/10 made the buds on top look a little crazy the 3 day dark period made the buds just retain moisture and gave the ones not in the dark time to increase mass just a tad. I even compared buds under the loop and you can't tell any difference except maybe its just me or its in my head but it kinda seems like there are slightly more amber trichs on the 14/10 bud compared to the 12/12 which is still predominately milky. So maybe that could be the difference to making the THC content to seem to build up. So what i'm gonna do is propose a new underlying theory, Maybe increasing the light hours by 1-2 hours a day during the late flowering stages helps to mature the trichromes faster than they would under normal flowering conditions. So to further look into this i'm going to try this again but for the last two weeks of flowering with 4 clones from the same mom and monitor them, keep track of any differences they may have and group them to where the ones closely associated will be in different rooms. Then i will monitor the progression of the trichromes maturity, maybe this is all we are dealing with and seeing occur maybe not so i guess the only way to see is to test it! Anybody else interested in doing should try it out as well, the more data there is the more complete and correct the answer is we derive from this.

8. trillions of atoms

trillions of atoms Latae Sententiae Excommunication

fuck dood- just throw them under 24 hr light for the last three days....lol. im glad your coming at this unbiased- i tried it the same way and figured out the 3 day darkness or 2 weeks dark etc......was bull.

peace mang!

9. skunky

well thanks TOA atleast i know someone else had the same results, i guess the next test for this little crop is to see if that 3 day dark period bud gets to tasting better or smoother quicker or overall when the cures done. Maybe some others will have some input on my findings from their own experience.